Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
hugacrv
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 pm

abe wrote:
I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.


I didn't fully ready this before making my last post. I've tried aliases and just tried Symbolic Links with no success either.

Seems like there's GOT to be a way to do this but I'm at a brick wall, again.
 
greubel
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Try Chaneru, it might help !
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm

greubel wrote:
Try Chaneru, it might help !
I agree that Chaneru will help anyone that wants to use their directory structure for movie organization or want very easy installation but Roxbox's use of a video.xml file gives it an advantage for those that want more info attached to their movies when browsing.

This is not the place for debate about the advantages/disadvantage of each, I guess a separate thread would be best for that, and I have yet to make my final choice.
 
hugacrv
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
I agree that Chaneru will help anyone that wants to use their directory structure for movie organization or want very easy installation but Roxbox's use of a video.xml file gives it an advantage for those that want more info attached to their movies when browsing.

This is not the place for debate about the advantages/disadvantage of each, I guess a separate thread would be best for that, and I have yet to make my final choice.


I have questions about Chaneru but will start a new thread on the forum for that.
 
Oh4Sh0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 pm

I was trying out this software tonight.

I installed Mongoose on my Windows Home Server box. Verified I could hit http://servername from another machine after setting the share/webroot location and restarting the service. I first removed the XML paths in the settings for roksbox, as I just wanted to use my directory structure. An example for Videos - is root\Videos (actual movies are in a subfolder called 'Movies'). The path is set as 'Videos' in roksbox settings.

This would retrieve no movies. So I decided to try PVD. I did that, and placed the resulting xml into the videos share, and referenced it on roksbox. Roksbox reads this file, but when i try to play any of the movies it throws 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.'

For music, I just want to use directory setup as well. My music is located in root\Music. When I click 'My Music' from the roksbox channel, it takes a moment, and then completely kicks me out of the channel, back to my listing of all channels i have.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh4Sh0 wrote:
I was trying out this software tonight.

I installed Mongoose on my Windows Home Server box. Verified I could hit http://servername from another machine after setting the share/webroot location and restarting the service. I first removed the XML paths in the settings for roksbox, as I just wanted to use my directory structure. An example for Videos - is root\Videos (actual movies are in a subfolder called 'Movies'). The path is set as 'Videos' in roksbox settings.

This would retrieve no movies. So I decided to try PVD. I did that, and placed the resulting xml into the videos share, and referenced it on roksbox. Roksbox reads this file, but when i try to play any of the movies it throws 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.'

For music, I just want to use directory setup as well. My music is located in root\Music. When I click 'My Music' from the roksbox channel, it takes a moment, and then completely kicks me out of the channel, back to my listing of all channels i have.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sounds like you might be using a MAC and if you are I cannot help much but some of my experiences might help:

To use an xml file this is what works for me:(I use, for now, a very simple setup)

Roxbox wants Mongoose's web server to point to a root directory. (There is a workaround for this but I have not used it.)

Media root folder is empty

Video folder path is a \

Video XML name is Videos.xml (and it lives in the root directory)

Make sure that when using PVD all paths are relative to the root directory (I do not know if Roxbox will even see other drives)

Also, it seems that Roxbox fails on file names that contain periods. ie King_Kong.mp4 works but King.Kong.mp4 does not.

One more thing: it seems to fail if the file names are too close a match to the directory name. ie. if you have a directory named Jaws and it contains movies named Jaws_1.mp4, Jaws_2.mp4, Jaws_3.mp4, and Jaws_4.mp4 none of the movies will play and you get a 404 error but if the directory is name is Sharks then all files in it work correctly.

Hope this helps a bit to get you started.
 
Oh4Sh0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:38 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Oh4Sh0 wrote:
I was trying out this software tonight.

I installed Mongoose on my Windows Home Server box. Verified I could hit http://servername from another machine after setting the share/webroot location and restarting the service. I first removed the XML paths in the settings for roksbox, as I just wanted to use my directory structure. An example for Videos - is root\Videos (actual movies are in a subfolder called 'Movies'). The path is set as 'Videos' in roksbox settings.

This would retrieve no movies. So I decided to try PVD. I did that, and placed the resulting xml into the videos share, and referenced it on roksbox. Roksbox reads this file, but when i try to play any of the movies it throws 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.'

For music, I just want to use directory setup as well. My music is located in root\Music. When I click 'My Music' from the roksbox channel, it takes a moment, and then completely kicks me out of the channel, back to my listing of all channels i have.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sounds like you might be using a MAC and if you are I cannot help much but some of my experiences might help:

To use an xml file this is what works for me:(I use, for now, a very simple setup)

Roxbox wants Mongoose's web server to point to a root directory. (There is a workaround for this but I have not used it.)

Media root folder is empty

Video folder path is a \

Video XML name is Videos.xml (and it lives in the root directory)

Make sure that when using PVD all paths are relative to the root directory (I do not know if Roxbox will even see other drives)

Also, it seems that Roxbox fails on file names that contain periods. ie King_Kong.mp4 works but King.Kong.mp4 does not.

One more thing: it seems to fail if the file names are too close a match to the directory name. ie. if you have a directory named Jaws and it contains movies named Jaws_1.mp4, Jaws_2.mp4, Jaws_3.mp4, and Jaws_4.mp4 none of the movies will play and you get a 404 error but if the directory is name is Sharks then all files in it work correctly.

Hope this helps a bit to get you started.


Nope, box the media is on is a Windows Home Server. But thanks for your help. I thought the relative pathing for PVD might be my issue. Hadn't thought of that. But after playing around with paths, it appears a '404' error is thrown if it cannot find the file.

so to clarify, my movies are structured as:
D:\shares\Videos\Movies

my webroot is:
D:\shares

my Videos.xml file is:
D:\shares\Videos\Videos.xml

my 'videos' dir in roksbox is:
Videos

Again, if I just use folder structure, and no XML files, roksbox reports 'Movies' is an empty directory. I can connect to it from another machine and stream videos @ http://servername/Videos/Movies/moviename.extension just fine.

If I use the PVD utility to generate the XML file and place it where I mentioned above, and then set the string in the roksbox setup as Videos.xml, the file is read/my video information is loaded, but I get the aforementioned error.

None of my movies are .mp4's. They're all .divx or .avi. That the issue?

Music is another issue entirely. I have about 1500 mp3's in my music dir. Clicking 'Music' in roksbox - it searches and then takes a moment on generating playlist, finally bringing up a button for MusicLib. Clicking that, it takes a moment, and then kicks me back to my channel selection screen.

Hopefully those details help if I wasn't clear enough initially.
 
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4907
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 am
Location: Dayton TN

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Oh4Sh0 wrote:
Nope, box the media is on is a Windows Home Server. But thanks for your help. I thought the relative pathing for PVD might be my issue. Hadn't thought of that. But after playing around with paths, it appears a '404' error is thrown if it cannot find the file.

so to clarify, my movies are structured as:
D:\shares\Videos\Movies

my webroot is:
D:\shares

my Videos.xml file is:
D:\shares\Videos\Videos.xml

my 'videos' dir in roksbox is:
Videos

Again, if I just use folder structure, and no XML files, roksbox reports 'Movies' is an empty directory. I can connect to it from another machine and stream videos @ http://servername/Videos/Movies/moviename.extension just fine.

If I use the PVD utility to generate the XML file and place it where I mentioned above, and then set the string in the roksbox setup as Videos.xml, the file is read/my video information is loaded, but I get the aforementioned error.

None of my movies are .mp4's. They're all .divx or .avi. That the issue?

Music is another issue entirely. I have about 1500 mp3's in my music dir. Clicking 'Music' in roksbox - it searches and then takes a moment on generating playlist, finally bringing up a button for MusicLib. Clicking that, it takes a moment, and then kicks me back to my channel selection screen.

Hopefully those details help if I wasn't clear enough initially.


OK.

I think your Webroot needs to be D:\ set in Mongoose's config.

Also the Roku will only play mp4, mpv, and, I think, one other format that I cannot remember right now but Divx and avi are not supported. This is a limitation of the box not the ch.

If you really want to get this, or any other current streaming ch, working I would convert one movie to an mp4 or an mpv, you can use Handbrake for this, and place it in the simplest location possible and get it playing and go from there.

When using Handbrake be sure to set the frame rate at 29.97 to avoid rebuffering after about half of a movie.
 
Oh4Sh0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:09 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Oh4Sh0 wrote:
Nope, box the media is on is a Windows Home Server. But thanks for your help. I thought the relative pathing for PVD might be my issue. Hadn't thought of that. But after playing around with paths, it appears a '404' error is thrown if it cannot find the file.

so to clarify, my movies are structured as:
D:\shares\Videos\Movies

my webroot is:
D:\shares

my Videos.xml file is:
D:\shares\Videos\Videos.xml

my 'videos' dir in roksbox is:
Videos

Again, if I just use folder structure, and no XML files, roksbox reports 'Movies' is an empty directory. I can connect to it from another machine and stream videos @ http://servername/Videos/Movies/moviename.extension just fine.

If I use the PVD utility to generate the XML file and place it where I mentioned above, and then set the string in the roksbox setup as Videos.xml, the file is read/my video information is loaded, but I get the aforementioned error.

None of my movies are .mp4's. They're all .divx or .avi. That the issue?

Music is another issue entirely. I have about 1500 mp3's in my music dir. Clicking 'Music' in roksbox - it searches and then takes a moment on generating playlist, finally bringing up a button for MusicLib. Clicking that, it takes a moment, and then kicks me back to my channel selection screen.

Hopefully those details help if I wasn't clear enough initially.


OK.

I think your Webroot needs to be D:\ set in Mongoose's config.

Also the Roku will only play mp4, mpv, and, I think, one other format that I cannot remember right now but Divx and avi are not supported. This is a limitation of the box not the ch.

If you really want to get this, or any other current streaming ch, working I would convert one movie to an mp4 or an mpv, you can use Handbrake for this, and place it in the simplest location possible and get it playing and go from there.

When using Handbrake be sure to set the frame rate at 29.97 to avoid rebuffering after about half of a movie.


That's what I'm currently trying.

Thanks!
 
Oh4Sh0
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 pm

After converting American Pie 4, and The Bucket List, I get the same message trying to access the American Pie 4 file 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.' The files at least show up in the directory structure now, however. The Bucket List on the other hand, says the format is either invalid or corrupt. Strange, since they were both converted by handbrake to mp4 with the same settings.
 
Icesnake
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm
Contact:

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 am

After registering for Roksbox I am no longer able to access the Channel Store. Roku Support has been notified; I'll update this topic when I get a resolution.
 
WilDD
Topic Author
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
I tried to discover if this issue has been discussed earlier in this VERY long thread but I could not find it.

I have roksbox working just fine. I am using it only for movies and I am using a video.xml file generated by Personal Video Database.

This setup works fine except for one issue: From time to time I add a movie or two to the database, save the xml file, exit roxbox and then reenter it and all appears fine except at some point about half way through the xml file (someplace between the letters k and n usually) the pointers to the images for the movie go off by one or two spots. That is the mpg for say King Kong will be in the correct place but it will show the image for Looker and the images for all movies after King Kong will also be off.

The only way to fix this is to power down my Roku. But after a power down the movies and images will match correctly for all movies. This tells me that PDV is creating a correctly formated xml file but roxbox is failing to reread it correctly after reentering the ch.

Yes I do completely exit roxbox before reentering it. I have even gone to other chs and watched a movie before returning to find this problem.

If there are no changes to the xml then the issue never happens and, if the original xml is placed back in the correct location then the problem seems to go away. of course without the new movie info.

This is more of a irritant than a problem but it is more of an irritant now since I am in the process of adding a lot of my movies.

I currently have about 150 movies in my database and I expect the total to be around 400 or more once I am done.

BTW: I love the XML method of organizing the movies. It gives me so much more info like description, actors, directors and more. I used the directory structure with this and other streaming chs but that gives so much less info. I still keep my movies in the old structure but PVD picks up on this just fine and gets info for all my movies.

Thanks for any help on my issue.

Edit to add: I only have 8 chs currently on my Roku.


aegl is correct. By default, PVD can use the same name for different poster art whenever changes are made, and the Roku player caches the images, and uses whatever is in its cache instead of using the new version. There is no way in the SDK to tell the Roku player to not use what is in its cache. The solution is at http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=58, which is:

But first we need to make one very important modification to PVD. Because of the way the Roku player caches images, there could be a problem with matching poster art to the proper video. The following change in PVD will fix the problem. Whenever you upgrade PVD to a new version, you will probably have to do this again.

Make the following modification to PVD before using it the first time, and after an upgrade to a new version:

1.Click Tools, then Preferences...
2.On the left side of the Preferences window, click Plugins.
3.On the right side, move the scroll handle down to the bottom of the window.
4.Click on the line that says Plain Text, then click Configure.
5.On the left side of the next window, click the box at the bottom of the screen that says Open file upon completion to uncheck the box, then click XML (Movies).
6.On the right side, click Edit template.
7.Find the line near the top of the template that says imagepath="images\".
8.Click the mouse curser at the end of this line, then press Enter to open a blank line.
9.In the blank line, type imagenameformat="%t%%ext%".
10.Click the red X in the top right corner of the window, then click OK.


This should fix the problem.
 
WilDD
Topic Author
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 pm

abe wrote:
I'm on 10.5.8 so not sure if there are any differences if you are on 10.6 yet or not.

Setting and structure on my Mac:

Web Sharing is turned on.

I have a folder named "media" with the "Sites" folder (Sites is located within your Home folder). I have placed a few test movies saved out using the recommend Handbrake setting within this "media" folder in a "videos" folder.

/Sites/media/videos/...all my video files...

Roksbox settings:

Web Server Address: I've entered the exact same address as what was listed under the personal website in the Web Sharing panel on my Mac.

Media Root Folder: media

Video Folder Path: videos

I deleted all the address for the xml files for all sections. I have not tried anything other than streaming video files from my computer with this channel. So I can't say how the Youtube, music or picture streaming is. But the above setting allowed me to stream video without issues once I created my 'user.conf' file that was missing.

I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.

Not sure if any of that helps or not but its what finally worked for me after experimenting.


You should be able to stream from any external drive by setting up an alias in the Apache config file. I'm not too familiar with the Mac, but for a PC, here are some examples that you would put in the Apache config file.

Alias /Videos "\\mybookworld\Public\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"
or
Alias /Videos "Z:\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"

In Roksbox, you would leave the Media Root folder blank, and use Videos (the name of the alias) for the Video Folder Path.
 
WilDD
Topic Author
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:18 pm

hugacrv wrote:
Thanks abe, that got me part of the way there.

I created /Sites/Media/Videos/ and the test video that I placed in there worked fine. However, when I created
/Sites/Media/Pictures/ by dragging an alias of the Pictures folder from my User directory to the /Sites/Media/ directory it did not work.

It seems that I should be able to point the /Sites/Media/ directory back to the correct folders in my User directory by using an alias so I don't have to move all of my media structure around (and probably break something else).

Anybody else got any clues?

PS - I only have 19 days left in the trial and still no success so I need to 1) find a fix FAST, 2) get an extension on my unregistered trial, or 3) try another solution (Chaneru?). I'm hoping for option #1


#2 - I'll give you as much time as you need.
 
WilDD
Topic Author
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Oh4Sh0 wrote:
After converting American Pie 4, and The Bucket List, I get the same message trying to access the American Pie 4 file 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.' The files at least show up in the directory structure now, however. The Bucket List on the other hand, says the format is either invalid or corrupt. Strange, since they were both converted by handbrake to mp4 with the same settings.


Let's start over on this one.

Where is your web root?

Where are your videos and music files located?

What are your Roksbox settings?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests