Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RoadRanger

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:36 pm

WilDD wrote:
You should be able to stream from any external drive by setting up an alias in the Apache config file. I'm not too familiar with the Mac, but for a PC, here are some examples that you would put in the Apache config file.

Alias /Videos "\\mybookworld\Public\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"
Hey, just a note that it isn't too hard to set up a WD MyBook World to serve files directly via its resident webserver. I'm doing that with mine :) .
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database

WilDD
Topic Author

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

RoadRanger wrote:
WilDD wrote:
You should be able to stream from any external drive by setting up an alias in the Apache config file. I'm not too familiar with the Mac, but for a PC, here are some examples that you would put in the Apache config file.

Hey, just a note that it isn't too hard to set up a WD MyBook World to serve files directly via its resident webserver. I'm doing that with mine :) .

That sounds neat. Can you give us some instructions on how you did it?

RoadRanger

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:07 pm

WilDD wrote:
RoadRanger wrote:
That sounds neat. Can you give us some instructions on how you did it?
First you have to get SSH access to your MyBookWorld:
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/first-steps-with-mbwe
Then do:
http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/lighttpd.php
Last edited by RoadRanger on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database

thehomelessguy

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I got this working on a synology diskstation (DS410) and thought I'd share my experience. Here is what needs done to get it to work:

1st the apache web server on the diskstation is set up by default with directory listing disabled. This needs to be changed so that Roksbox can parse the directory (unless you are using the .xml method).

Simply create a .htaccess file (unix line endings) in your /web directory with the following text:

Options +Indexes

That's all the file needs (the one line). Now a directory listing will be made so you can use Roksbox without using .xml files.

Next log in as root into your synology server (enable ssh access in the web-manager) and create symbolic links for the various folders for example (my sole raid volume is labeled volume1). Capitalization does matter. The following should work with the default label names in Roksbox. You also need to delete the .xml files (leave those spots blank) as well as the subdirectory listing.

cd /volume1/web/
ln -s /volume1/web/video/ Videos
ln -s /volume1/web/photo/ Photos
ln -s /volume1/web/music/ Music

thehomelessguy

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:44 pm

WilDD wrote:
abe wrote:
I'm on 10.5.8 so not sure if there are any differences if you are on 10.6 yet or not.

Setting and structure on my Mac:

Web Sharing is turned on.

I have a folder named "media" with the "Sites" folder (Sites is located within your Home folder). I have placed a few test movies saved out using the recommend Handbrake setting within this "media" folder in a "videos" folder.

/Sites/media/videos/...all my video files...

Roksbox settings:

Web Server Address: I've entered the exact same address as what was listed under the personal website in the Web Sharing panel on my Mac.

Media Root Folder: media

Video Folder Path: videos

I deleted all the address for the xml files for all sections. I have not tried anything other than streaming video files from my computer with this channel. So I can't say how the Youtube, music or picture streaming is. But the above setting allowed me to stream video without issues once I created my 'user.conf' file that was missing.

I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.

Not sure if any of that helps or not but its what finally worked for me after experimenting.

or
Alias /Videos "Z:\WWW\WWW-pub\Media\Videos"

In Roksbox, you would leave the Media Root folder blank, and use Videos (the name of the alias) for the Video Folder Path.

Sounds about right. On a mac I would also advise making the aliases through the terminal (ln -s [folder with stuff] [alias folder]) or doing it through the apache config file. Also make sure you have apache returning a directory index (I believe it does by default in OSX, but it might not/you might have changed things). Also make sure you remove the default index.html file (obviously).

thehomelessguy

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:50 pm

One last thing concerning handbrake.

The "high-profile" encoding seems to work well for me with most DVD's (some DVD's of old BBC shows are weird and screw up with this) expect for the audio. You need to make sure you change the audio settings. If you have anything other than AC3 passthrough (which saves most of the data anyways) it won't work (in my experience). Kind of sucks if you want one file and plan on using it on a phone that doesn't support A3C (about the only device that wouldn't), but other than that it should be fine.

christo

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am

roksbox is great - so far.
one problem - my music does not play - it sort of chirps. i ripped the music using windows media player to WMA files - which are supposed to be supported. any ideas?

and a question - for photos can i have folders withing folders?

WilDD
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 pm

christo wrote:
roksbox is great - so far.
one problem - my music does not play - it sort of chirps. i ripped the music using windows media player to WMA files - which are supposed to be supported. any ideas?

and a question - for photos can i have folders withing folders?

WMA files should work. Maybe try a different ripper, or different settings.

Yes, you can have unlimited levels of folders for photos. In fact, this is a good way to organize your photos. You can categorize them by putting them in different folders, or organizing them by dates.

WilDD
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:39 pm

New version V1.13.0 available

This version has a new feature called Frugal Mode.

Frugal mode allows you to make the most efficient use of the Roku player's memory. Frugal mode can be used when using the directory structure to access your media. It is most useful when you have a very large video, music, or photo collection, or if it takes a long time to load your media. If your media collection is so large that it won't load at all, frugal mode can probably solve the problem.

Instead of parsing and loading the entire directory structure from a particular category, frugal mode parses and loads only the current directory level. The subsequent levels are parsed only when selected. This results in parsing and loading the directory levels only when needed, and eliminates loading unnecessary items.

However, by not parsing the entire directory structure, you won't get poster art from lower levels to show up at upper levels that don't contain poster art. This is easily remedied by putting poster art in each subcategory folder. Also, since Roksbox doesn't "look ahead", you can have folders showing up on the screen that don't have any media files in them.

You can easily turn frugal mode on or off by toggling the frugal indicator on each of the media options in the media settings. Frugal mode has no affect when using xml files.

This version also allows you to play music files directly from the music root folder, and to view photos directly from the photo root folder. Previously, these files had to be in at least one folder below the root folder.

You can get this version by entering and exiting the channel store, or you will get it automatically within 24 hours.

Gilgamesh

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Since I use only the video part of this app is there any way to make Roksbox start with the Video folder highlighted instead of the pictures one.

I have tried all the various streamers and they all start with a function I do not use as the default. This is a little hard to believe as the Roku is primarily a video device so it seams that videos would be the default for chs that do multiple functions.

Clearly I can live with the current functionality but I would just prefer that I start in videos or the pictures and audio functions be completely hidden and disabled.

WilDD
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Since I use only the video part of this app is there any way to make Roksbox start with the Video folder highlighted instead of the pictures one.

I have tried all the various streamers and they all start with a function I do not use as the default. This is a little hard to believe as the Roku is primarily a video device so it seams that videos would be the default for chs that do multiple functions.

Clearly I can live with the current functionality but I would just prefer that I start in videos or the pictures and audio functions be completely hidden and disabled.

I'll see what I can come up with in the next release.

Gilgamesh

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:40 pm

WilDD wrote:
I'll see what I can come up with in the next release.

Thanks, in advance, for your efforts.

dancinfool

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:54 pm

@WilDD: first and foremost, congratulations on, and thank you for a great product. One humble feature request: search. (My wife has 100s of DVDs, and scrolling v. searching becomes very laborious, very quickly.) If this feature already exists, and I'm just missing it, please let me know.

rossi141

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 pm

I have seen a few comments about slowness when inside a category (using video.xml). I am running into this issue.
It seems that the main difference between Roksbox and Netflix is that Netflix navigation calls seem to be non-blocking i.e. I can navigate and the posters will fill in as they are available. Compared to Roksbox where loading posters seems to be a blocking call - i.e. I am unable to navigate until all posters have loaded. This means that every time I click right to move through my category, it will only move after the next image has loaded. Is there any way to fix this? To navigate through some of my categories is very painful - takes my over 1 minute just to get to the correct movie within some of my categories, then any navigation strokes that I have cached take me way past, then I have to navigate back.
Another enhancement if it is not possible to fix this would be to provide search functionality, so that I can find my movie by name.

Anyway, great product - thanks.

Colin

WilDD
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:11 pm

dancinfool wrote:
@WilDD: first and foremost, congratulations on, and thank you for a great product. One humble feature request: search. (My wife has 100s of DVDs, and scrolling v. searching becomes very laborious, very quickly.) If this feature already exists, and I'm just missing it, please let me know.

I will look into the search function, as this can be very useful.

I don't know how you have your videos categorized, but you can probably reduce a lot of navigation by categorizing or splitting up your videos. Whether you use directory structure, or an xml file, you can divide your videos into groups, or categories, which will allow you to quickly skip through videos and select a particular category which contains the video you want. You can also divide them up alphabetically, with each letter of the alphabet being a category. This way you can quickly skip through the alphabet to get to (say) the Ts to get to Titanic. You can categorize them to however suites you (and your wife) best.