Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WilDD
Topic Author

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:16 pm

rossi141 wrote:
I have seen a few comments about slowness when inside a category (using video.xml). I am running into this issue.
It seems that the main difference between Roksbox and Netflix is that Netflix navigation calls seem to be non-blocking i.e. I can navigate and the posters will fill in as they are available. Compared to Roksbox where loading posters seems to be a blocking call - i.e. I am unable to navigate until all posters have loaded. This means that every time I click right to move through my category, it will only move after the next image has loaded. Is there any way to fix this? To navigate through some of my categories is very painful - takes my over 1 minute just to get to the correct movie within some of my categories, then any navigation strokes that I have cached take me way past, then I have to navigate back.
Another enhancement if it is not possible to fix this would be to provide search functionality, so that I can find my movie by name.

Anyway, great product - thanks.

Colin

If you have "large" poster art, loading will be very slow. Recommended poster art size is SD=158x204; HD=214x306. This should produce reasonably fast navigation. Poster art size should be less than 50KB.

As mentioned in my post above, I will look into adding a search function.

smoyers

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:10 am

I have set everything up, per the instructions. I was using Mongoose but it kept crashing, so I decided to go with Apache. I have checked and re-checked everything, but I can't get my photos or music to load. It was working with Mongoose, but Mongoose would crash repeatedly. Please help. BTW, what is frugal? and should it be on or off?
Thank you.

patwheel

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi everyone,

So I got this mp4 file that has different audio tracks. How do you select one in particular on roksbox? I would like to go back and forth between languages.

Thanks!

midiwall

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:05 pm

I've been using roksbox for about a month now, and have a recurring problem that i can't track down.

On _every_ DVD I have online, when playing through Roksbox I start getting rebuffering issues around (hh:mm) 1:01 - 1:07. The issue starts "tolerable" but gets significantly worse as you get farther into the movie. e.g., I'm watching Crazy Heart, the rebuffering starts at 1:03. The movie will stop, the "loading..." progress bar will come up, it will load for about 10 seconds and continue. The movie will play for appx 20 seconds, and the process repeats.

If I pause the movie at this point, and wait the port light on the bridge that the Roku is connected to to stop blinking (thus indicating that the roksbox is done buffering), the movie will play for appx 5 minutes. This issue become intolerable at about 1:36 into the film. At this point, waiting for roksbox to stop buffering provides only appx 15 seconds of viewing time.

Again, this will happen with all the DVDs I have online.

Using Crazy Heart as an example, MediaInfo shows:
Complete name                    : V:\Crazy Heart.m4v
Format                           : MPEG-4
Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                         : mp42
File size                        : 685 MiB
Duration                         : 1h 51mn
Overall bit rate                 : 858 Kbps
Writing application              : HandBrake 0.9.4 200911230
-----
Duration                         : 1h 51mn
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 693 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 362 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode                  : Variable
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate               : 11.989 fps
Maximum frame rate               : 29.970 fps
I've tried re-encoding down to 600kpbs with no change in symptoms.

This isn't a network issue, running Speakeasy's speed test while connected to the bridge shows throughput at 5.97Mbps. As well, this doesn't start happening until an hour into the movie.

Watching the router port lights seems to show one possible cause. It looks like the farther roksbox plays into a movie, the _less_ it's buffering. Is it possible that you're sizing your buffer based on file position and that math is off? That, or is it possible that your low watermark is becoming corrupted?

One other thing that I've tried is to reboot the Roku, then go back into roksbox and let it "restart from 1:36". No change. I'd also rebooted the Roku, back into roksbox, re-picked the movie and fast-forwarded all the way from the beginning. No change.

All poster art is < 50KB, and Frugal mode doesn't help. Changing to Directory Mode (i.e., not using Videos.xml) doesn't help.

Any ideas?
:: Mark

greubel

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:18 pm

This is a quote from dancinfool on the Chaneru Forum
Fix for constant rebuffering of video files
by dancinfool » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:44 am

The problem: about ~an hour into any given movie, Roku starts rebuffering your video file ridiculously often, until it finally craps out.

The solution: modify your Handbake settings -- below is the configuration I've verified for my system at home. I'm _told_ 29.97 fps is all you need to do, but I haven't experimented with anything other than what's below. Hope this helps someone out there avoid a few headaches.

Video:
- H.264
- Large file support
- Enhance for web
- 1600 bitrate
- 29.97 fps

Audio:
- AAC Core Audio
- Stereo
- 48 khz
- 128 kbps audio
dancinfool

Hope it helps !

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Yes, encoding at 29.97fps will clear up the rebuffering at roughly the one hour mark problem, but you can also passthru the AC3 audio if you want true dolby 5.1 audio.

midiwall

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:32 pm

greubel wrote:
midiwall wrote:
I've been using roksbox for about a month now, and have a recurring problem that i can't track down.

On _every_ DVD I have online, when playing through Roksbox I start getting rebuffering issues around (hh:mm) 1:01 - 1:07. The issue starts "tolerable" but gets significantly worse as you get farther into the movie. e.g., I'm watching Crazy Heart, the rebuffering starts at 1:03. The movie will stop, the "loading..." progress bar will come up, it will load for about 10 seconds and continue. The movie will play for appx 20 seconds, and the process repeats.

{snip}

Any ideas?

This is a quote from dancinfool on the Chaneru Forum
Fix for constant rebuffering of video files
by dancinfool » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:44 am

The problem: about ~an hour into any given movie, Roku starts rebuffering your video file ridiculously often, until it finally craps out.

The solution: modify your Handbake settings -- below is the configuration I've verified for my system at home. I'm _told_ 29.97 fps is all you need to do, but I haven't experimented with anything other than what's below. Hope this helps someone out there avoid a few headaches.

Video:
- H.264
- Large file support
- Enhance for web
- 1600 bitrate
- 29.97 fps

Audio:
- AAC Core Audio
- Stereo
- 48 khz
- 128 kbps audio
dancinfool

Hope it helps !

Awesome! Re-encoding Crazy Heart now - thank you!

midiwall

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:00 pm

philsoft wrote:
Yes, encoding at 29.97fps will clear up the rebuffering at roughly the one hour mark problem...
Do folks think this is a Roku codec issue issue or is it a Roksbox issue? I don't have a huge problem using fixed framerates moving forward, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to think about it. :)

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:04 pm

midiwall wrote:
philsoft wrote:
Yes, encoding at 29.97fps will clear up the rebuffering at roughly the one hour mark problem...
Do folks think this is a Roku codec issue issue or is it a Roksbox issue? I don't have a huge problem using fixed framerates moving forward, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to think about it. :)

It actually seems to be a Handbrake issue.

midiwall

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:33 pm

philsoft wrote:
midiwall wrote:
philsoft wrote:

It actually seems to be a Handbrake issue.

Hmmm, that's confusing since you'd think that other players would have a problem with the encoded file.

fwiw, the re-encode of Crazy Heart at 29.97fps finished, looks like it works fine now. Thanks all for the tip.

I'm off to batch re-encode the other 80 DVDs... That should take some time :( Gonna use DVDFab for this pass.

Timmy Likes to Click

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:34 am

29.97 fps does solve the rebuffering issue, but...

Does anyone notice the video streams are not as smooth as a variable fps or 23.97 fps? I am using Handbrake 0.9.4...

aegl

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 am

midiwall wrote:
philsoft wrote:

Difficult to tell. Here's what has been seen:

Handbrake encoded files at 23.97 fps play okay on my computer well past the one hour mark.

Roku can play the 8-hour epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" from Netflix.

Roku has rebuffering problems past 1 hour on handbrake encoded videos at 23.97 fps played through Roksbox.

So all we really know is that there is a bad interaction when handbrake and 23.97 and Roksbox all come together.

thehomelessguy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:47 pm

smoyers wrote:
I have set everything up, per the instructions. I was using Mongoose but it kept crashing, so I decided to go with Apache. I have checked and re-checked everything, but I can't get my photos or music to load. It was working with Mongoose, but Mongoose would crash repeatedly. Please help. BTW, what is frugal? and should it be on or off?
Thank you.

Do you have directory listing index access turned on? I know it used to be on by default but they may have changed that for security purposes.

thehomelessguy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm

aegl wrote:
midiwall wrote:
philsoft wrote:

Difficult to tell. Here's what has been seen:

Handbrake encoded files at 23.97 fps play okay on my computer well past the one hour mark.

Roku can play the 8-hour epic "Example 8 Hour 23.976" from Netflix.

Roku has rebuffering problems past 1 hour on handbrake encoded videos at 23.97 fps played through Roksbox.

So all we really know is that there is a bad interaction when handbrake and 23.97 and Roksbox all come together.

Weird, I haven't had this issue yet and I have watched several 1.5 hour long doctor who series (encoded as one file). I always just use the handbrake default "high profile" setting (same framerate as source) and A3C audio (5.1).

thehomelessguy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Nevermind I have it too with the other DVD's. Are BBC dvd's enocded at a different frame rate? It's weird that Doctor Who is unaffected.