Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thehomelessguy

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Ha BBC DVD's are encoded with 29.whatever (makes sense, the euro standard). That's why they are all working, darn now I'll have to re-encode the rest.

thehomelessguy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:37 pm

Wanted to though in a quick feature request. I haven't found a good mac program to automatically generate all the .xml stuff for posters/title. However I was wondering how easy it would be to have the Roksbox program simply search for a *.jpg in the same directory as the .mp4 and use that as cover art (no .xml files or anything else involved) Not sure how easy that would be.

greubel

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:50 pm

Chaneru does that.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:55 pm

greubel wrote:
Chaneru does that.

So does Roksbox

WilDD
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:09 pm

thehomelessguy wrote:
Wanted to though in a quick feature request. I haven't found a good mac program to automatically generate all the .xml stuff for posters/title. However I was wondering how easy it would be to have the Roksbox program simply search for a *.jpg in the same directory as the .mp4 and use that as cover art (no .xml files or anything else involved) Not sure how easy that would be.

As philsoft said, Roksbox does that. Just name your jpg file the same as the mp4 file. For example, if you have avatar.mp4, name the jpg avatar.jpg. Roksbox will use that for the poster art. Make sure your poster art is at least close to the recommended size, or your posters will load slow, and cause slow navigation.

Recommended poster art size for videos is: SD=158x204; HD=214x306

WilDD
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:21 pm

smoyers wrote:
I have set everything up, per the instructions. I was using Mongoose but it kept crashing, so I decided to go with Apache. I have checked and re-checked everything, but I can't get my photos or music to load. It was working with Mongoose, but Mongoose would crash repeatedly. Please help.
Thank you.

Make sure you setup Apache correctly. It's important to set up the directory information in Apache. See http://www.ricocheting.com/how-to-insta ... ows/apache for some nice setup instructions.

BTW, what is frugal? and should it be on or off?

For most applications, frugal mode can probably be turned off. If you have a large media collection, or if navigation is slow, you can try frugal mode on to see if it makes a difference.

More information on frugal mode is at http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84.

Gilgamesh

Server usage and fleability.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:37 pm

I switched from Mongoose to Apache because of the increased flexibility as I figured that, as my converted library grows, the additional options would provide a way to keep everything better organized.

After a bit of false starts I have everything working as before and I have started to explore the additional features available.

I thought I was quite tech savvy and could understand tech-neese in just about any form it could be presented. But the documentation for Apache seems to be written in some private cone that mere mortals cannot translate.

What I would like to do is use two different drives as a single source for my video collection. That is I have my video directory as F:\Movies but my 1 terabyte drive is filling rapidly and I would like to add a directory, G:\Videos and have Roxbox use both for my video collection.

I tried to use the Alias function to accomplish what I wanted but all I could seem to make it do was replace my current Movies directory with the Videos directory.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to make what I want happen? Or point me to a translation of the documentation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

WilDD
Topic Author

Re: Server usage and fleability.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
I switched from Mongoose to Apache because of the increased flexibility as I figured that, as my converted library grows, the additional options would provide a way to keep everything better organized.

After a bit of false starts I have everything working as before and I have started to explore the additional features available.

I thought I was quite tech savvy and could understand tech-neese in just about any form it could be presented. But the documentation for Apache seems to be written in some private cone that mere mortals cannot translate.

What I would like to do is use two different drives as a single source for my video collection. That is I have my video directory as F:\Movies but my 1 terabyte drive is filling rapidly and I would like to add a directory, G:\Videos and have Roxbox use both for my video collection.

I tried to use the Alias function to accomplish what I wanted but all I could seem to make it do was replace my current Movies directory with the Videos directory.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to make what I want happen? Or point me to a translation of the documentation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Apache will allow you to use two different disk drives with one alias.

It looks like your options are to move everything to a larger drive and access it from one drive, or you can create another profile in Roksbox so that you have two profiles, and access one drive from one profile without an alias, and use an Apache alias to access the other drive from the other profile. This separates your videos into two different profiles, but you will be able to access all them that way.

Edit:

Maybe you can access two drives in Apache.

See if this is what you are looking for: http://serverfault.com/questions/70757/how-can-i-make-apache-look-in-2-separate-directories-with-one-common-url-follow

Gilgamesh

Re: Server usage and fleability.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:24 pm

WilDD wrote:
Maybe you can access two drives in Apache.

See if this is what you are looking for: http://serverfault.com/questions/70757/how-can-i-make-apache-look-in-2-separate-directories-with-one-common-url-follow

Thank you very much!

By following the above link I found "Junction" that allows a drive or a directory on a drive to be "joined" to a sub-directory on another, or the same, drive.

( Junction is available directly from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96768.aspx )

By using Junction I am able to have as many additional drives as I wish look like sub-directories of my existing movies directory.

This would work independent of the server being used. In fact PVD sees the joined drives as a sub-directory as well so the XML file created works for movies on the joined drives as well. With this I can have my entire video collection eventually able to be accessed as a single large library from one computer and served to the device of my choice, currently my Roku.

Edit: I switched back to Mongoose mainly due to the fact that Mongoose allows the server root to be a root directory and my Video collection is easier to maintain with that setup.

Mongoose does work fine with the joined drives.

jlsoaz

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:33 am

Hi:

It looks like this was posted this in February. Does anyone know if there is a channel that is out of beta testing, that we can see in our channel list on Roku, with these local file streaming capabilities?
Last edited by jlsoaz on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shelleye

GREAT WORK!! (some questions...)

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 am

I have been waiting for a Roku home media application since Roku first came out, and I am, as of today, an official subscriber to RoksBox. This is not a simple program to write, and I am impressed and grateful. I'm now knee deep into transcoding all my .mpg files to .m4v, so I can watch on my Roku Boxes.

Couple of questions:

1. Bitrate settings: I am using handbrake settings suggested a couple of posts up by the person who spent "12 hours" looking for optimal settings. In spite of suggestions by others that I could lower the bitrate to 1500/1600 without a loss of perceived quality, I am keeping it at 2500, because: everything I have read on handbrake forum suggests that optimal DVD quality is achieved at @ 4000, and all my mpg files (basically .vob passthrough) seem to be at 4000. Some people on this thread seem to be using 4000, which I thought would choke a Roku stream, but it seems it can be gotten around. So, at the risk of repeating a question that has been asked a LOT: if I am most interested in preserving quality, and not concerned at all about file size, what bitrate should I use? Handbrake forum says any constant quality setting higher than 59% is imperceptible to the viewer. I'm looking for the equivalent number using average bitrate settings. 1500? 2500? 4000?

2. It seems to me that my wireless G connection is slightly faster than my ethernet connection-- images on the catalogue, for example, take longer to load via ethernet, and the movie takes longer to load. This is not a problem at all, since both work fine, but it defies logic. Any thoughts about why this might be so?

For the record, and for others who are working their way through the slightly complicated initial setup:

I am using directory structure to view my files, because no matter what I did, the PVD .xml file was producing a "404 cannot load" error, even though the .xml itself loaded fine. Because the directory structure loads faster than the xml, it ended up not being worth my time to troubleshoot PVD, although it is a very cool program.

BE CAREFUL about the size of your .jpg movie images. Mine were all ~50kb, as suggested, and it took a long time to load my directory. I started downloading thumbnail images (all ~10k) and it's quite snappy now.

Happy camper.
:D

philsoft

Re: GREAT WORK!! (some questions...)

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:42 am

shelleye wrote:
1. Bitrate settings: I am using handbrake settings suggested a couple of posts up by the person who spent "12 hours" looking for optimal settings. In spite of suggestions by others that I could lower the bitrate to 1500/1600 without a loss of perceived quality, I am keeping it at 2500, because: everything I have read on handbrake forum suggests that optimal DVD quality is achieved at @ 4000, and all my mpg files (basically .vob passthrough) seem to be at 4000. Some people on this thread seem to be using 4000, which I thought would choke a Roku stream, but it seems it can be gotten around. So, at the risk of repeating a question that has been asked a LOT: if I am most interested in preserving quality, and not concerned at all about file size, what bitrate should I use? Handbrake forum says any constant quality setting higher than 59% is imperceptible to the viewer. I'm looking for the equivalent number using average bitrate settings. 1500? 2500? 4000?

Your DVD's are encoded with MPeg2 and when you encode for the DVP you are encoding using MPeg4. MPeg4 is a lot more efficient, so you don't need as high a bitrate. Try this, encode the same movie twice, once at 1500-1600 and once at the 2500 you have been using, and see if you actually see an improvement in quality. My opinion is that you won't, once you get over 1500-1600 any quality increase that you see will be minimal to none.

shelleye

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks. I have been following your many posts on this topic, and suspected that's what you would say. I will try.

BTW-- one thing I really liked about the personal video database program is that it imports the encode information of your files. Is there any easy/rightclick kind of way to view that information from windows explorer (I'm using windows 7, 64 bit).

Thanks.

philsoft

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:01 am

shelleye wrote:
Thanks. I have been following your many posts on this topic, and suspected that's what you would say. I will try.

BTW-- one thing I really liked about the personal video database program is that it imports the encode information of your files. Is there any easy/rightclick kind of way to view that information from windows explorer (I'm using windows 7, 64 bit).

Thanks.

Right Click on the Video File
Then choose Properties
Then Choose Details.

shelleye

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:13 am

:oops:
For others as thick headed as I am: it's on the "details" tab, which I had never clicked before. Yikes. Thanks for not flaming me.