Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bexn
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Nowhere TV

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am

ruford42 wrote:
bexn

Geek & Sundry has some wonderful content I'd love to watch via my Roku as well, but they
also are a commercial YouTube channel, so we're unlikely to see that content on the Roku
until someone sorts out the larger Roku & YouTube issues.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Geek & Sundry is already a channel available on NowhereTV under Science & Technology. The content currently available under that channel is Dark Horse Comics, The Flog, Table Top, Sword & Laser and The Guild (each season has a separate entry). There's also "This Week's Shows," which I don't normally look under since I tend to watch several weeks of shows at a time. I looked under it today while writing this and noticed that Space Janitors Ep4 is available there. Yeah! Now I just need to remember to watch weekly so I won't miss any.

I've requested updates to this channel before. Sometimes they're added, like season six of The Guild and sometimes not, like the bonus content of season six. I have no idea if Chris will decide to add the new shows or not but it doesn't hurt to ask (I hope!). If he adds it, great!! If he doesn't, I'll look into adding it privately.

Or you know -- if I'm missed this somewhere, please let me know. I see a note about
it being available in the 1080p showcase...but don't have a 1080p capable Roku, and the
only other location I've seen The Guild through my roku is the past seasons are available
on HuluPlus.

The Guild (seasons 1-5 only) is available on Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD and possibly other channels. Unfortunately, that doesn't help with my current request or my previous request for the current season of The Guild. This is why someone 1080p Showcase was suggested. (It's an awesome channel, BTW. Sorry you can't access it.)

If you are unable to run 1080p Showcase or don't have access to the old YouTube channel, there are other channels available on the Roku that allow you to watch YouTube content: RateRix, Plex and PlayOn. Plex & PlayOn both require that a server be running on your computer. I believe that PlayOn's server is Windows only (fine for most folks) and understand that it works under emulation on Linux and Mac. Plex has servers for all three. RateRix and Plex and free. YouTube on PlayOn is free but I understand that you must pay a monthly or yearly fee to watch most of the other content. For a while they had a lifetime deal going on but I don't know if it's still available.

A good friend of mine loves RateRix though admitted that it was a pain to setup. Once he had it setup, however, it was smooth sailing and uses the channel all of the time. I tried RateRix but I follow a lot of channels and bumped up against RateRix's limitations quickly so I uninstalled it. If you mostly watch current videos and only follow a few channels, RateRix is a great YouTube substitute. If you're like me, you'll need to find something else. Fortunately for me, Plex became available on the Roku. I have been using it for years on my Mac and I love it. It's great having access to most of the TV content you can't get via Hulu Plus (CBS, PBS, USA, Syfy, ABCFamily, ESPN3, etc. plus non Plus content on ABC, NBC, FOX, The CW). They have tons of other video, audio & picture channels, YouTube being one of them. You can also access your own videos & music plus they have an iTunes channel for those who keep their music in and purchase music through Apple's iTunes. I have no experience with PlayOn but understand that people like it quite a bit. I believe it has similar content to Plex though I think it may have more channels. Both Plex and PlayOn allow users to create their own channels so both are growing in the content they carry.

I hope that helps you find a channel to watch YouTube content until we get an official YouTube channel on the Roku. There may be other ways as well, these just happen to be the only ones that I'm aware of. If you decide to install Plex, drop me a line privately. I have a trick to make installing channels very quick.

Since Geek & Sundry content is already in NowhereTV, I'm hoping Chris will add the two new shows. It's certainly more convenient to watch from one channel but I do understand that he can't say yes to all requests. If he does decide against it, I'll look into adding it as a private channel to NowhereTV so I can watch everything from within NowhereTV. I tend to use NowhereTV as my default on the Roku but I'm lucky that I have other options if adding it as a private channel doesn't pan out.
Said goodbye to satellite in 2010 in favor of my Rokus, HTPC & OTA. It's the only way to fly! Member of Amazon Prime & DramaFever since 2011, Hulu Plus since 2010 and Netflix since 2009. Less expensive & better quality entertainment!

discord666

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Hey nowhere man are you going to have any streams showing the F1 racing when it starts?

danat275

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:47 pm

is there anyway to add these two music video channels to nowhere tv?

capital fm tv
http://www.capitalfm.com/tv/

Heart fm tv

http://www.heart.co.uk/tv/player/

danat275

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm

thanks for adding those music video channels,they play great:)

gilpdawg

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 pm

mastermesh

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:53 am

gilpdawg wrote:
Is the response valid XML?
No. The data returned from the URL could not be parsed as XML
So will this URL work with Nowhere TV?
No. This URL does not point to a valid feed that contains Roku compatible audio or video
but maybe there's a work around?
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels

garyw

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm

danat275 wrote:
thanks for adding those music video channels,they play great:)

I agree, and WOW. If you're of a certain age and enjoyed music videos of the 70s,80s & 90s, then I highly recommend you check Heart TV. Nice energy... :D

Thanks Nowhereman!

rrobstet

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Would it be possible to add Channel 7 Australia videos: http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/ to NowhereTv?

Thanks

Akguzman17

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi nowhereman! First Off thanks for the awesome channel. I especially enjoy the national news stations. Im from Alaska and stationed away from home. Would It be possible to add the anchorage news channel along with the rest??

Eric

UNCJer77

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Would love to have Challenge TV on your channel. Thanks

http://www.challenge.co.uk

petra1000

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:36 pm

hello,

I see you have 2 channels from filmon. Could you possible add more free channels?

thanks

william sims

Dick Drivel

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:16 am

Are the HD Music Channels gone for good? I see that the app is no longer on offer. Continue to watch on Mummy, but prefer Nowhere.
BTW, does anyone know if there is an online schedule for these channels?

dwanthny

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:51 am

ruford42 wrote:
Geek & Sundry has some wonderful content I'd love to watch via my Roku as well, but they also are a commercial YouTube channel, so we're unlikely to see that content on the Roku until someone sorts out the larger Roku & YouTube issues.

I believe bexn is asking that these new Geek & Sundry shows be added to what is already available via Nowhere TV.

ruford42 wrote:
I see a note about it being available in the 1080p showcase...but don't have a 1080p capable Roku

You should check out VideoBuzz for watching YouTube content.

RokuChris

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 am

flower Drivel wrote:
Are the HD Music Channels gone for good? I see that the app is no longer on offer. Continue to watch on Mummy, but prefer Nowhere

Nowhere TV was using a different set of streams that behaved better on Roku. Less buffering, etc. Those streams are no longer available.

Dick Drivel

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:55 am

RokuChris wrote:
flower Drivel wrote:
Are the HD Music Channels gone for good? I see that the app is no longer on offer. Continue to watch on Mummy, but prefer Nowhere

Nowhere TV was using a different set of streams that behaved better on Roku. Less buffering, etc. Those streams are no longer available.

Thanks for the update!