Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gday15

Re: Nowhere TV

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:26 am

Thanks again kyl416

The package is subscription based, but has made live streaming of BBC World News available in an increased number of markets.
Livestation has an official partnership with them, so a portion of the money you pay to Livestation goes to BBC Worldwide

I have written to them asking if they intend making a Roku channel to help us receive the BBC legally. I prefer a channel to casting - one less tricky technique to master!

kyl416

Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Patinput wrote:
I can't find AJE anywhere except for some limited content on their website. (Many of the videos are unavailable for me on their website). Anyone know where I could find it? I would pay subscription if necessary.

If you're in the USA, there's no legal way to watch Al Jazeera English's live feed.

deadvolvo1

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 pm

kyl416 wrote:
It's not "censorship". Censorhsip is getting thrown into jail for reporting stuff that the government doesn't like or are blocked by your government from visiting certain news websites. (There's a REASON why "#FreeAJStaff" appears at the beginning of the Newshour)

Nowhereman was stealing the streams from Livestation, this week they implemented token protection so nowhereman and other services can't steal their streams, watch their premium channels for free, and circumvent geoblocks imposed by the stations.

You can still watch many of those channels from their websites, on cable/satellite if your provider carries them, or from Livestation directly. BBC World News, Euronews, CNN International and CNBC Europe are premium and require a paid subscription. For legal reasons Al Jazeera, BBC World News, CNN International and CNBC Europe are not available in the USA via Livestation but are available from other sources:
CNN International's North American feed is available with CNNgo
CNBC's Europe, minus the Tonight Show, is available with a paid subscription to CNBC Pro, you can also see the business news from Europe and Asia on the CNBC World channel
BBC World News went the commercial route for US distribution so it's only available from cable and satellite providers
Al Jazeera was withdrawn from US distribution after they launched Al Jazeera America, but their streams are still available for free on Livestation for those outside of the USA, and you can still watch news reports on demand on their website, just click the link at the bottom of their page to go to Al Jazeera English's website.

Not being able to watch a channel because you refuse to subscribe to cable or satellite provider who has the channel, or pay for a premium streaming subscription is not "censorship". (God forbid your favorite international news channels actually try to make money so they can continue to afford to place their journalists around the world, lease multiple satellite feeds so cable and satellite providers around the world can receive their channels, deal with budget cuts because the current government doesn't like how their news department is reporting about them, not to mention pay lawyers to handle the legal nightmare some journalists are in right now in certain parts of the world)

I pay $180 US per month for cable and Internet. I also pay $15 per month for satellite radio. Then on top of that about $160 per month to a cellular company. I have no interest in paying Sling $25 more per month for a bundle of awful channels full of reality TV sewage just so I can be eligible to pay another $5 for a bundle that includes the one channel that I don't already have in my current lineup. That channel is Euronews. It is free everywhere else in the world where one has legal and open access to the sky or Ineternet, via their apps and web site. I'd pay them $10 a month for a direct subscription, but hey, I guess since I'm an American, I must be so wealthy I can afford to support the same 50 or so other channels that I can't stand twice. Or I have to discontinue my digital TV service with my current provider and rely completely on Sling for TV. That's like paying protection money. As for giving Livestation a second shot, they had me and lost me, and I refuse to pay them another dollar. Anybody who has subscribed to them knows why. They still don't have a properly working app on any platform, and that won't change even if I rejoined the list of their venture capitalists.

I called it censorship because for all intents and purposes, Euronews has been blocked in the USA, regardless of how much money you have. It has no distribution on cable or satellite to speak of, and it's not an accident. I'll give you an example of why it is not: BBC World. I already pay one cable company more than enough for their channel. What they do to BBC World News is horrendous. Every commercial break, Truecar.com, Angie's List, Dealdash.com and Xarelto class action lawsuits. The commercial breaks are sometimes improperly placed in the middle of programs! It's unwatchable. Constant dive for the mute button. That's why I was using the Roku. Euronews doesn't have sufficient space for these obnoxious ads. And it doesn't have riveting infotainment series either. Thus it is not government censorship, but mass media monopolies doing the censoring.

gday15

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 pm

BBC World is working again. Thank you Nowhereman!

emran_198

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:55 pm

CNN,BBC,AL-Jazeera are back :D :D

Patinput

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Thank you . So wonderful!

bitsnbytes

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm not seeing the channels back: here the international category only has
Al Sharqiya News, Al Sharqiya TV, Canal Sur, CCTV, DW, France 24, Global National, i24, JLTV, NDTV, NHK World, RTE News, rtvE, RT, Telemadrid, Ukraine Today, VOXAfrica.

gday15

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:45 pm

BBC World has gone back to being inaccessible - Ontario, Canada

lsauer

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:27 pm

There seems to be a bigger story here. Al Jazeera English, Al Jazeera America, BBC World News, CNN International disappear from NowhereTV and SJTV (out of India?). Three channels from three countries, by three companies, and on two independent aggregators, all disappear for a week, reappear for 24 hours, and again disappear simultaneously. How? Why?

socantra

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 pm

lsauer wrote:
There seems to be a bigger story here. Al Jazeera English, Al Jazeera America, BBC World News, CNN International disappear from NowhereTV and SJTV (out of India?). Three channels from three countries, by three companies, and on two independent aggregators, all disappear for a week, reappear for 24 hours, and again disappear simultaneously. How? Why?

Sounds like a fiendish plot. I'd suspect Fu Manchu. :lol:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.

marivaux

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Right, both CNN and BBC are gone from my list of favorites after reappearing, too. I assume that means that they are being extracted because of streams that have been shut down or are inaccessible? I notice that the dedicated Nowhere CNN channel doesn't seem to be working, either.

Global-Thinker226

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:37 am

If BBC, EuroNews, al Jazeera English, CNN International, and other international channels are gone, I have no reason to continue using Roku. I sure am not going to resubscribe to cable, and will not use digital satellite.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Global-Thinker226 wrote:
If BBC, EuroNews, al Jazeera English, CNN International, and other international channels are gone, I have no reason to continue using Roku. I sure am not going to resubscribe to cable, and will not use digital satellite.

Do you understand that Roku has nothing to do with NowhereTV? It's a private channel, not tested, controlled or supported by Roku.
Roku is just the hardware.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

somebody

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Global-Thinker226 wrote:

Do you understand that Roku has nothing to do with NowhereTV? It's a private channel, not tested, controlled or supported by Roku.
Roku is just the hardware.

I realize that too and while I wouldn't say I have "no reason" to continue using Roku (there's still Netflix) content IS a key selling point. If there were no Roku apps/channels (whatever you may call them) would ANYONE buy a Roku?

The loss of AJE, BBC and Euronews from Nowhere TV as well as the coincidental loss of news from MHZ Worldview has really dealt a blow to what I use Roku for probably 80-90% of the time. CNN is not particularly missed by me, but the remaining "news" channels are HORRIBLE and yes I realize that Roku doesn't own or control ABC, CBS, NBC, SkyNews, Fox or CNN International this pretty much leaves a gaping hole in the utility of having a Roku - just as I was considering getting a 2nd one.

I'm not sure if Roku has enough clout to convince BBC or AJ (even just AJA) or others to create their own channels they almost certainly do more than end users like me or the guy you responded to and it could hurt them in lost sales. I''m certainly not endorsing any of their competitors but it is certainly going to make me look harder at them before my next purchase of such a device.

That said I've been noticing more and more problems with some other channels. I don't know if that's because they hired really horrible developers or if there is some other problem or if there are compatibility issues with older Rokus (I have a 2XS) it certainly does contribute to a loss of utility for Roku.

It's almost like that "smart TV" I bought a few years ago with a smattering of apps and the promise that more would be added. Instead there is NOTHING - all their apps have been removed. Fortunately that's not why I bought that TV but it does kill any desire to ever buy anything but a "dumb TV" in the future. In theory the same thing could happen to Roku and although I'm sure it won't happen to Roku there are a TON of channels which are no better than all those junk channels cable TV is filled with (and many of us Roku users are cord cutters who would rather hang ourselves with the cord than reconnect it).

At any rate, thank you Nowhere Man for providing what you could for a while even if it was apparently under the table and without any of the content provider's permission.

deadvolvo1

Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:41 pm

somebody wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
Global-Thinker226 wrote:
coincidental loss of news from MHZ Worldview

Didn't notice that until you pointed it out. :(