Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

marivaux

Re: Nowhere TV

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 pm

I wouldn't really jump to any conclusions about future (unpaid) content on Roku. Channels like Nowhere TV just aggregate streams that happen to be available--there is certainly no guarantee on any of their content.

It's worth pointing out when something stops working, in case some version of the stream is still available and it is possible for the channel developer to update their settings. However, there is no point in making a giant fuss about it, since that is really all they can try to do.

On the other hand, new content (or new versions of the same content) will become available at various points, and when they do, channel aggregators will keep adding them--it's always going to be a rotation (unless Roku decides to ban private channels, in which case you could forget the whole thing)

gkl

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:40 am

If the streaming services mentioned by several of you really are important to you, I'd suggest adding Channel Master DVR+ to your mix. I've found that between it and my Rokus, along with a PC attached to the TV, I can watch just about anything I want. MHz, BBC World News, SkyNews, WeatherNation, and many other free streaming services are available 24/7 through my DVR+.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Exress
Apple TV 3
1 Mohu Sky, 1 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Jake100

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Several of the channels mentioned above are still available on my Roku. The Filmon.TV channel (channel code NMEVA) has the Euronews channel (News TV section), France 24, RT as well as Al Jazeera (might be Al Jazeera America). The Roku YouTube channel can play Sky News HD Live and Al Jazeera English HD Live Stream Beta feeds unless these are georestricted in the US.

I am currently casting a CNN stream to my Roku from an android phone/tablet using Web Video Caster / Allcast which works just as well as the preinstalled CNN channel. Once the stream starts you can switch off the phone/tablet. You could probably find CNN and BBC World News on Channel Pear.

HuSkurDu

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Extremely disappointed to lose Al Jazeera, BBC, Euro news and other live stream News Providers.

Makes it difficult for those who no longer subscribe to cable. Cable and its system of dictating to us what we watch and how we watch and how we gather information should be a thing of the past, it is outdated. For Free or for Pay, Live Streaming and being able to select the kinds of programming we want is the way to go (at least for me).

Bring back my News Options, please don't make me watch another Fox, MSNBC etc...program, its not real news

Cut the cable four or five years ago.

Using Roku and an antenna (which has superior quality but laden with ads) I have not spent $3,600.00 on cable TV. Only the internet service ad $62.00 a month

Netflix, Hulu Plus now ad free, and new comers Showtime, HBO Now. Hopefully others will start Streaming.

Nice to watch programming without all the ads and continuous pop-ups you have on the overpriced cable channels.

MWDXER

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Two private channels are Film On and SJTV. Both of those have many international channels like BBC, Euro News, etc. There are other sources for International channels out there. Also if the channel streams, then a Chromecast stick, it can be cast to the TV.

Jake100

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 am

@MWDXER: Many thanks for the information about SJTV. It has a great selection of working international channels including AJE, Euronews, DW, France 24, NHK World, RT, CSpan1&2 and many others. The channel code appears to be 849PAM or it can be loaded from the link below.
<removed link - RokuShawnS>

MarcoVanzetti

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:15 am

What happened to BBC World Service?!!!!

beq

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Just curious, does anyone know if RokuChris is still actively curating the Nowhere TV and Nowhere Cast channels? In other words, is this thread still being looked at? Is it perhaps a desire to avoid any perceived official affiliation between the Nowhere channels and Roku Co?

kbd48

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Seems like less content all the time. It once was my go-to app for news. I recently removed it. Probably isn't the developer's fault some content is likely harder to get.

kyl416

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:23 pm

deadvolvo1 wrote:
I called it censorship because for all intents and purposes, Euronews has been blocked in the USA, regardless of how much money you have. It has no distribution on cable or satellite to speak of, and it's not an accident.

Cablevision and Dish have Euronews, and as posted above, you can get it via Livestation if you pay for it. Just because you choose not to pay for something doesn't make it censorship.

I'll give you an example of why it is not: BBC World. I already pay one cable company more than enough for their channel. What they do to BBC World News is horrendous. Every commercial break, Truecar.com, Angie's List, Dealdash.com and Xarelto class action lawsuits. The commercial breaks are sometimes improperly placed in the middle of programs! It's unwatchable. Constant dive for the mute button.

That's NOT your cable company doing that to BBC World News, those ads are coming directly from the BBC's satellite feed. The news story in the middle of the program during ad breaks is always an older report from earlier in the day and is just filler for non-commercial TV affiliates that simulcast newscasts from BBC World News, like various PBS stations, ABC News 24 in Australia and the BBC News Channel in the UK. Only the private internal feed for TV stations show that filler story, the actual 24/7 channel for viewers goes to a break during it.

deadvolvo1

Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:00 pm

kyl416 wrote:
Cablevision and Dish have Euronews, and as posted above, you can get it via Livestation if you pay for it. Just because you choose not to pay for something doesn't make it censorship.

The only cable provider in my area, Comcast, doesn't have it. I live 20+ floors above street level on the north / east / west side, so a dish of any kind is out of the question. As for Livestation, tell me why I should pay for a stream that is of no practical use to me. Even went so far as to run a virtual machine dedicated to casting the Livestation Euronews stream to a Chromecast just to be able to watch it on my TV. Android and iOS apps crash constantly, no help from Livestation. They are a useless company, a paywall essentially, and a bad one at that, in that paying doesn't accomplish what is promised. It's not that I wouldn't support them if they were good at what they do. It is only $2! It's just that they aren't good at what they do, AND the rest of the world gets the English stream free. Given all that, I don't see how the practical effect isn't sufficiently close to censorship of some sort to warrant the term if nothing else as a decorative exaggeration. Didn't know the setting here was so academic.

That's NOT your cable company doing that to BBC World News, those ads are coming directly from the BBC's satellite feed. The news story in the middle of the program during ad breaks is always an older report from earlier in the day and is just filler for non-commercial TV affiliates that simulcast newscasts from BBC World News, like various PBS stations, ABC News 24 in Australia and the BBC News Channel in the UK. Only the private internal feed for TV stations show that filler story, the actual 24/7 channel for viewers goes to a break during it.

Then why was BBC World on Comcast free of those ads for the first 3 months after it was added to the lineup? Does BBC sometimes insert Dealdash ads into the middle of Our World or Panorama, over the presenter mid-sentence? The live streams don't have those ads, and neither do the satellite feeds overseas. Just the occasional Qatar Airways, Allianz, Korean Air, Rolex, Maylasia tourism, etc. Those are fine, in that they are pleasant and don't insult my intelligence. Dealdash is online gambling for people too dim to realize what it is. I'm not that person, I highly doubt most of the viewers are, and it doesn't belong on BBC World. They'll never get me as a customer no matter how many times they show the ad. I have the right to mute it or change the channel, and I'd gladly pay money for a "mute service" to do it for me. Seeing as there is no such thing, I'll continue to circumvent the geolock. But I am paying for the channel.

Theresamay99

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:41 pm

is it possible to get programming from Kalamazoo Michigan WWMT Channel 3?

ivkovich

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:15 am

RokuChris wrote:
jdblaze wrote:
on NowhereTV, the local news channel KIRO out of seattle keeps causing a crash/reboot.
How can I fix this?

KIRO was removed from the catalog last year. If you added it as a custom favorite, it's unsupported.

KIRO was moved to the NewsOn app.

ivkovich

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:22 am

skip769 wrote:
WGME Channel 13 in Portland has a news feed could that be added? Thanks for a great channel.

The web address is:
http://www.wgme.com/live/news/index.shtml#.UwH9hGJdV08

Plays on phone, but not on Roku.

ivkovich

Re: WHDH-7 Boston live stream

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 am

RokuChris wrote:
bitsnbytes wrote:
WHDH-7 Boston has a live news feed at
http://whdh.mpl.miisolutions.net:1935/w ... ylist.m3u8

Can Roku play it? (The "Will it Roku" tool doesn't test HLS streams.)

Looks like a yes.

Looks like a no.