Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

terryowen

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Has anyone requested tv.com or is that like Hulu? I can get tv.com on my Android phone, so I'm hoping that it's doable.

Maybe instead of requesting channels, I should look into what's involved with the SDK. My day job involves a fair amount of scripting, so if it doesn't require advanced coding skills, it might be a good learning experience.

Terry

QuantumIguana

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 pm

I see that there will be PBS video. From the list of shows, it looks like it won't be the whole content available from video.pbs.org? It would really be fantastic to have access to this. One of the major uses that I have for the PC hooked up to my tv is to watch programming from video.pbs.org. With a 3 year old in the house, it's nice to be able to watch it when I can.

Would it be possible to create a C-Span channel, for C-Span1, 2 and 3?

KennyJ

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm

terryowen wrote:
Has anyone requested tv.com or is that like Hulu? I can get tv.com on my Android phone, so I'm hoping that it's doable.

Maybe instead of requesting channels, I should look into what's involved with the SDK. My day job involves a fair amount of scripting, so if it doesn't require advanced coding skills, it might be a good learning experience.

Terry

TV.com and Hulu content is in Flash format. The Roku firmware doesn't currently support Flash.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm

KennyJ wrote:
TV.com and Hulu content is in Flash format. The Roku firmware doesn't currently support Flash.

ditto for video.pbs.org
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 pm

QuantumIguana wrote:
Would it be possible to create a C-Span channel, for C-Span1, 2 and 3?

C-SPAN does not appear to podcast any video content. so it might be possible, but it's outside the scope of my current project

robertm

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:08 pm

A recent episode of HDnation was talking about how great comedy central is. Is that a possibility or is it flash or restricted some other way?

terryowen

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

KennyJ wrote:
terryowen wrote:

Terry

Interesting... because my G1 phone didn't support flash until I modded to 2.1 last week, so the app for tv.com must have bypassed it somehow.

I think with all the iPhone apps and upcoming iPad talk, more sites will be friendlier to non-flash applications. Hope so, anyway.

Terry

KennyJ

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Here's some of the Top video podcasts on iTunes (by source):

HBO Podcasts
BarelyPolitical.com
TWiT
MSNBC
CNBC
NBC News
ABC News
HowStuffWorks.com
The Onion
Happy Tree Friends
TED
G4
Discovery Channel
Engadget Show
Comedy Central Jokes.com
CNN
CollegeHumor.com
E! Online
NPR
Fox News
OnNeworks.com
Sesame Street
Nickelodeon
CBS
CNET
CurrentTV
Revision3
Military Channel
IGN

That's to name a few content providers who have podcasts on the top 200 for iTunes. Many have multiple feeds -- so could make a good channel. With many of these, they aren't going to be full episodes.

KennyJ

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:27 pm

terryowen wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
terryowen wrote:

Terry

Interesting... because my G1 phone didn't support flash until I modded to 2.1 last week, so the app for tv.com must have bypassed it somehow.

I think with all the iPhone apps and upcoming iPad talk, more sites will be friendlier to non-flash applications. Hope so, anyway.

Terry

Is it an official App? Flash is the front-end, but they may have h.264 videos stored securely on their servers that they can deliver through their phone App. But it would likely be impossible to access this without their permission.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:55 pm

robertm wrote:
A recent episode of HDnation was talking about how great comedy central is. Is that a possibility or is it flash or restricted some other way?

comedy central publishes a handful of podcasts. adding it to the list

Village Idiot

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm probably real dumb here. I'm no expert on terms. I take it podcast refers to these very short clips such as the NASA ones. You mentioned that none of these are full episodes. Is that the way it'll always be ? Is there any chance at all we can get full episodes ? Fee based for full ? :?

DevilInPgh

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:32 pm

I have a slight problem with the NBC app. I noticed that scrolling through the different shows is VERY slow (compared to scrolling through episodes within shows). I haven't looked at any other app yet, but I'm wondering whether this is the case in all the others (as you said, you are using the same basic code for all of them).

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
I'm probably real dumb here. I'm no expert on terms. I take it podcast refers to these very short clips such as the NASA ones. You mentioned that none of these are full episodes. Is that the way it'll always be ? Is there any chance at all we can get full episodes ? Fee based for full ? :?

You could absolutely podcast long form content and some publishers do. CNBC's podcasts almost all have full length episodes of their shows. But most choose not to. They prefer to use podcasting as a marketing tool to entice you into watching their TV station or visiting their website. "Podcast" just refers to the distribution mechanism. In technical terms, a podcast is any RSS 2.0 feed with enclosures.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:39 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
I have a slight problem with the NBC app. I noticed that scrolling through the different shows is VERY slow (compared to scrolling through episodes within shows). I haven't looked at any other app yet, but I'm wondering whether this is the case in all the others (as you said, you are using the same basic code for all of them).

this has been pointed out. i do not believe it is the case with all the channels. it has been speculated that the delay is caused by the box attempting to load a large thumbnail image from the internet. this would be a problem with NBC's feed rather than the channel's code. i will be investigating when i have time.

KennyJ

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:48 pm

nowhereman wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

You could absolutely podcast long form content and some publishers do. CNBC's podcasts almost all have full length episodes of their shows. But most choose not to. They prefer to use podcasting as a marketing tool to entice you into watching their TV station or visiting their website. "Podcast" just refers to the distribution mechanism. In technical terms, a podcast is any RSS 2.0 feed with enclosures.

Exactly.. a all of Revision3's content is available via Podcast and that's long format. I just added the warning because I didn't want people to think "HBO" meant that you could watch episodes of Sopranos. :) It's up to the content provider. If they want to offer full-length content, full episodes, movies, they certainly can. . . they just usually don't.