Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

eding

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 pm

MLB.TV is flash. Does anybody know how those streams work on the DVP?

KennyJ

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:59 pm

eding wrote:
MLB.TV is flash. Does anybody know how those streams work on the DVP?

MLB worked directly with Roku to deliver either VC-1 or h.264 streams through a secure http url. So does Amazon and Netflix. Netflix uses silverlight on the web and Amazon uses Flash. But when delivering their video to the Roku, they have special streams they provide.

Hulu could do the same thing if they wanted. But because the only video we have public access to is Flash, you can't create a channel for it -- because the Roku doesn't support Flash and Hulu doesn't give Roku access to non-flash streams

eding

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm

I just turned on CNBC, CNN, HBO, PBS, and FOX News :D
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

dvo01

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

I've been playing with them all. It's like Christmas, all the new toys to play with. The only snag I've hit is the load times for the NBC shows, I believe there is an earlier comment concerning the lag in moving between the icons.

DevilInPgh

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm testing the CNN app right now. I see that the video seems to be slightly jerky and pixelly (despite having 4 dots and shared connection to a T1 line). I understand that this is probably because of the CNN feed itself, but better to make sure.

Also testing PBS now. There seems to be a slight delay (about 3 seconds) between clicking on a channel/feed and it actually loading. Video is also slightly pixelly.

patchman

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am

Thanx so much for sharing and doing the hard work...I have only looked at the nasa channel and it is awesome....I will be adding the rest later, This is much appreciated...Once again thank you

BoloMKXXVIII

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:45 am

patchman wrote:
Thanx so much for sharing and doing the hard work...I have only looked at the nasa channel and it is awesome....I will be adding the rest later, This is much appreciated...Once again thank you

+1
Much thanks to NWM! It is awesome that you are willing to put in the work so all of us can enjoy these channels. I hope the old saying "what goes around, comes around" is true in your case. Something good should be coming your way!
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

Village Idiot

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:46 am

KennyJ wrote:
nowhereman wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
I'm probably real dumb here. I'm no expert on terms. I take it podcast refers to these very short clips such as the NASA ones. You mentioned that none of these are full episodes. Is that the way it'll always be ? Is there any chance at all we can get full episodes ? Fee based for full ? :?

You could absolutely podcast long form content and some publishers do. CNBC's podcasts almost all have full length episodes of their shows. But most choose not to. They prefer to use podcasting as a marketing tool to entice you into watching their TV station or visiting their website. "Podcast" just refers to the distribution mechanism. In technical terms, a podcast is any RSS 2.0 feed with enclosures.

Exactly.. a all of Revision3's content is available via Podcast and that's long format. I just added the warning because I didn't want people to think "HBO" meant that you could watch episodes of Sopranos. :) It's up to the content provider. If they want to offer full-length content, full episodes, movies, they certainly can. . . they just usually don't.

Thanks guys for clearing it up for me that they could make full length pods as well as full episodes. The world moves by supply & demand so i'm hoping if the demand is out there sooner or later there will be full shows. It was mentioned that Roku doesn't use FLASH. Couldn't they use it if they wanted to ?

KennyJ

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Thanks guys for clearing it up for me that they could make full length pods as well as full episodes. The world moves by supply & demand so i'm hoping if the demand is out there sooner or later there will be full shows. It was mentioned that Roku doesn't use FLASH. Couldn't they use it if they wanted to ?

I believe hardware might be capable of supporting it... so yes..

hucfinn

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 am

NBC shows like olberman and maddow start an infinite loop at 14 minutes in. I'm guessing it's an NBC thing. Maybe switching streams. Also happens on Mediafly. Does anyone know the reason as this could be a major flaw to many streams in the future.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:54 am

hucfinn wrote:
NBC shows like olberman and maddow start an infinite loop at 14 minutes in. I'm guessing it's an NBC thing. Maybe switching streams. Also happens on Mediafly. Does anyone know the reason as this could be a major flaw to many streams in the future.

I've noticed things like this too. And not only with NBC content. These shows play fine in iTunes or on an iPod, but on those devices, the entire file is downloaded before playback. Maybe the streaming nature of the box is just not conducive to playing podcasts. Perhaps the box is overly picky about how the file was encoded. Or maybe there's an issue with the box's playback logic. I'd be interested to hear what the Roku guys have to say about these issues.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

KennyJ

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 am

The box is very finicky about the way a file is encoded. For those who were experimenting with local playback, it was found very early that some encode values would cause re-buffering.

JoshuaMarc1234

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 am

nowhereman wrote:
hucfinn wrote:

I've noticed things like this too. And not only with NBC content. These shows play fine in iTunes or on an iPod, but on those devices, the entire file is downloaded before playback. Maybe the streaming nature of the box is just not conducive to playing podcasts. Perhaps the box is overly picky about how the file was encoded. Or maybe there's an issue with the box's playback logic. I'd be interested to hear what the Roku guys have to say about these issues.

Here's what my experience was yesterday - though I doubt any of the below has to do with you Chris ( NWM ) and much of it has been covered already. I sent you an email of this as well.

-Delay from hitting remote command button and seeing action on screen.
-Video quality was watch-able certainly ( SD Roku Box, 2.5Mbps down/DSL - ATT ), but not as good as Amazon and NF.
-No "quality" dots with any stream on any of the channels.

NBC - 3/2 News w/Brian Williams
-Constant re-buffering
-After 1/3 of program ( estimate ) video out of sync
-Half way through program couldn't get it to stop re-buffering

PBS - Bill Moyers Journal: Robert Kuttner and Matt Taibbi
-Audio consistently had very short 'cut outs'

PBS - Bill Moyers Journal: Oliver Stone Part 1
-ibid

CNN - Screening Room: Shutter Island
-Worked Fine

CNN - Screening. Room: From Facebook to...Freestyle
-Worked Fine

CNBC - Options Actions 2/12/10
-Worked fine, though episodes were all old

HBO - Funny or Die Presents
-Would not load, stuck on "retrieving"

HBO - Stand Up Comedy
-ibid
Last edited by JoshuaMarc1234 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out

robertm

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:00 am

The one I hope works well is PBS. I don't want to sound like one of "those" guys but a significant portion of my childhood was pre-cable and with so few channels PBS was on quite a bit. I grew up with them.