Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Grandpa

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:59 am

PBS:
Washington Week played fine.
The recitals from Carnegie Hall had sound drop outs.
CNN:
Amanpour played fine.
360 played with no problems.
Fox:
All played OK but not much content, 1 to 3 min. shows.
Last edited by Grandpa on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TucsonTumbleweed

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 am

I hope that even though Nowwhereman's channels codes are available without a donation that folks are still donating. I see that the other private channel maker (supersecretusername) has already received $200-700 for each channel.

I also wanted to second the request for This American Life and Science Friday (NPR) despite the fact that they are audio only.

JoshuaMarc1234

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:18 am

TucsonTumbleweed wrote:
I hope that even though Nowwhereman's channels codes are available without a donation that folks are still donating. I see that the other private channel maker (supersecretusername) has already received $200-700 for each channel.

I also wanted to second the request for This American Life and Science Friday (NPR) despite the fact that they are audio only.

While I would have to agree with you on rewarding both channel developers on effort, I don't find any of the content very compelling for either developer's channels and hence didn't donate - no disrespect to either developers efforts. Just some honest feedback that hopefully will be taken as useful and not mean spirited.

I actually appreciated not having to donate to NWM's channels to check them out. Though I could tell from the YouTube video clips that I wasn't interested in the Erotic TV gentleman's content either, so that worked as well, as far as previewing.

While I certainly think it's fair that they request some compensation for their efforts, I'm finding that all the additional channels, Roku Store and Private, to NF and Amazon are just taking up space in my channel queue, which is really speaking only to my taste/interests.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if any of the new channel development will bring 1st Run/Premium or more interesting content.

If not, I'm going to switch to Boxee Box when it comes out, if only for the UI and TV content.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out

terryowen

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 am

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
While I would have to agree with you on rewarding both channel developers on effort, I don't find any of the content very compelling for either developer's channels and hence didn't donate - no disrespect to either developers efforts. Just some honest feedback that hopefully will be taken as useful and not mean spirited.

I'm finding that all the additional channels, Roku sanctioned and Private, to NF and Amazon are just taking up space in my channel queue, which is really speaking only to my taste/interests.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if any of the new channel development will bring 1st Run/Premium or more interesting content.

If not, I'm going to switch to Boxee Box when it comes out, if only for the UI and TV content.

I live in an area where the digital tv reception is terrible and channel selection is limited to the major network affiliates and one independent, so I've been slowly readjusting the way I watch media - because my local cable company is a monopoly and I'm tired of paying more and more for less and less.

Since my ultimate goal is dumping my cable company, the mini channels on the Roku seem to fill the need to channel surf just as well as the 300 digital channels that no one ever watches. Traditional viewing might not be very well supported yet (other than Netflix) but if there was a premium channel for Hulu or even tv.com, that would be all I'd need to cut the cable bill out. I have a Tivo, so that could go, too. I never get a chance to watch live anymore, anyway.

I'm thinking about Boxee, too but since I already had 2 Roku boxes I'm going to get my money's worth out of them. :-) And even if I do end up with a different media server source, the Rokus will still get used, if only relegated to bedrooms, so more choice is always welcome.

Terry

terryowen

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 am

KennyJ wrote:
terryowen wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

TV.com and Hulu content is in Flash format. The Roku firmware doesn't currently support Flash.

Interesting... because my G1 phone didn't support flash until I modded to 2.1 last week, so the app for tv.com must have bypassed it somehow.

I think with all the iPhone apps and upcoming iPad talk, more sites will be friendlier to non-flash applications. Hope so, anyway.

Terry

Is it an official App? Flash is the front-end, but they may have h.264 videos stored securely on their servers that they can deliver through their phone App. But it would likely be impossible to access this without their permission.

I think it probably is an official app but the content is more limited than the regular website. There is still a lot of full length content, though. Not that I'm going to watch a full length episode of Y&R, Numb3rs or Beauty and the Beast on my phone (there are better sources for those) the best bits of Letterman and Ferguson are cool.

Maybe they could be persuaded to create a Roku channel similar to the phone app if they had enough requests.

Terry

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 pm

nowhereman wrote:
hucfinn wrote:
NBC shows like olberman and maddow start an infinite loop at 14 minutes in. I'm guessing it's an NBC thing. Maybe switching streams. Also happens on Mediafly. Does anyone know the reason as this could be a major flaw to many streams in the future.

I've noticed things like this too. And not only with NBC content. These shows play fine in iTunes or on an iPod, but on those devices, the entire file is downloaded before playback. Maybe the streaming nature of the box is just not conducive to playing podcasts. Perhaps the box is overly picky about how the file was encoded. Or maybe there's an issue with the box's playback logic. I'd be interested to hear what the Roku guys have to say about these issues.

The problem with NBC shows going into a rebuffer loop at 14 minutes is due to a known problem in the firmware which will be fixed in an upcoming release. Technically, it's because the audio/video interleave is too large for the player to handle.

--Mark

robertm

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

That is not the point. The point is that if a developer can make some money off of it they will be more interested in adding more channels.

NWM's streaming tracking site is worth a donation all by itself.

silentprey1968

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Great job NWM! I see your working on a MLB channel. Any chance you could do something with the NHL? The work your putting into this is appreciated. Thank you!

JoshuaMarc1234

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:33 pm

robertm wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

That is not the point. The point is that if a developer can make some money off of it they will be more interested in adding more channels.

My only point Robert is that more channels, both Roku Store and Private, have not provided anything that I watch, so additional channels, Roku Store or otherwise, of similar content don't excite me. Which is why I'm beginning to think that the Boxee Box will be a better fit for me with it's TV offerings and more navigable/robust UI.

I bring all this up because I think there are valid issues here that Roku is going to have to contend with in competing with the Boxee Box, when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Roku but it has it's limitations as regards content beyond NF and Amazon - for my viewing tastes that is.

Great point on NWM's streaming tracker's value, thanks.

mforan

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Great channels, nice interface, setup was pretty easy. I like it all EXCEPT I get frequent re-buffering, about every 15 seconds. My ISP d/l speed is 10mb/s. Debug reports I'm streaming the NASA channel at 1.5mb/s on my 9.5mb/s network. I've set the Roku to its fastest speed rather than leave it on auto, but still the same result. Back in the Amazon beta days a lot of folks had this same problem, but gradually fixes on the Amazon end solved the problem. So, perhaps its on the servers generating the signal now?
Better is the enemy of good enough.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:01 pm

silentprey1968 wrote:
Great job NWM! I see your working on a MLB channel. Any chance you could do something with the NHL? The work your putting into this is appreciated. Thank you!

NHL.com only podcasts audio content. Not something I can do right now, but maybe in the future.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

jcmolet

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:14 pm

robertm wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

I tend to agree with Robert on this. While most of the content thus far is not that compelling, my main reason for donating $37 between the two developers thus far is to encourage more activity on the development front in the hopes that more people work to make more content available to us. I don't know if I will be watching any of the recently released private channels 6 months from now; however, I am quite certain that if the developers aren't encouraged, there won't be a lot of effort by them and others to bring content.

JoshuaMarc1234

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm

jcmolet wrote:
robertm wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

I tend to agree with Robert on this. While most of the content thus far is not that compelling, my main reason for donating $37 between the two developers thus far is to encourage more activity on the development front in the hopes that more people work to make more content available to us. I don't know if I will be watching any of the recently released private channels 6 months from now; however, I am quite certain that if the developers aren't encouraged, there won't be a lot of effort by them and others to bring content.

I agree with the point being made by Robert and yourself jc. I just don't think there is better content available, based on what I've seen, that isn't in the big media conglomerates' domain. Therefore, my point is in trying to up the ante to Roku in:

1: Realizing that the lack of content available is a legitimate bottleneck.
2: More 2nd tier content ( my value judgement ) isn't truly a draw.
3: I'm not trying to discourage more development or be critical of the developer's efforts so far, but only state that development of more of the same content only fills a channel queue, it doesn't necessarily up the value prop of Roku.
4: Boxee Box is going to be a serious 'new kid on the block' for Roku to contend with.

I'm happy to be in the minority on this, but feel it is a valid point. Perhaps one I'm not communicating effectively though.
Last edited by JoshuaMarc1234 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robertm

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:26 pm

JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:
robertm wrote:
JoshuaMarc1234 wrote:

My only point Robert is that more channels, both Roku Store and Private, have not provided anything that I watch, so additional channels, Roku Store or otherwise, of similar content don't excite me. Which is why I'm beginning to think that the Boxee Box will be a better fit for me with it's TV offerings and more navigable/robust UI.

I bring all this up because I think there are valid issues here that Roku is going to have to contend with in competing with the Boxee Box, when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Roku but it has it's limitations as regards content beyond NF and Amazon - for my viewing tastes that is.

Great point on NWM's streaming tracker's value, thanks.

I own a roku. Actually, I own 3 of them. I have spent $300 with roku. If a few more bucks here and there help me get the most out of my investment then I am in. I agree that most of the channels offered so far via the channel store or in private offerings have not yielded much for me and some that might don't work quite yet but this is still early in the process.

JoshuaMarc1234

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:34 pm

robertm wrote:
I own a roku. Actually, I own 3 of them. I have spent $300 with roku. If a few more bucks here and there help me get the most out of my investment then I am in. I agree that most of the channels offered so far via the channel store or in private offerings have not yielded much for me and some that might don't work quite yet but this is still early in the process.

Agreed with your last above. But the question, in my mind, then becomes - what is actually available that isn't more of the same offered so far by Private and RS, to add to Roku that is not in Big Medias' control? More Private Channel ( PC ) development does not make for interesting content if all that PC can offer is podcasts and 2 min. clips - PR stuff designed to entice viewers to buy Premium? If no content is really available, I would then go so far as to postulate that these developers are just wasting their time, however well intentioned. If this is the case, then it's a waste of our dollars too.