Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 16
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:19 am

Great work - as usual - just loaded this up.

1) You need to make some money from your work :)

2) I have been using your Pod channel and the myMedia channel (not yours) alot on the Roku - love the work you guys do ou t there.

I have made some suggestions there which may apply to your channel..

It would be nice to be able to add my own streams - kind of like the Roku Soundbridge Presets where you could add streams in.

The primary stream I want to add comes from a local server running on my network - The SirusXMStreamer from Presence software. This is a great tool that lets me play my XM channels over my Roku Soundbridge.

The output from the program is a stream:

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

I can configure this to do either asx or m3u format.

The MyMedia folks cant get this to play for whatever reason. Just wondering if your understanding of the stream type might be able to get this to play. It plays fine in IE8 on any machine on my network.

Any thoughts on user configurable URL's ??

Also - check this discussion out

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26695
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
User avatar
KennyJ
Posts: 4048
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:21 am

You might be able to add streams on RadioTime's site. I noticed that KROQ didn't show up in my local channels. I went to their site and noticed they only had KROQ's flash player. I clicked a couple links to add the direct MP3 stream... It says they have to check it and approve it. So I hope if they do, I'll be able to play KROQ on my this channel as well.
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:36 am

I've had a favorites list on Radio Time's website made up mostly of streams I've added myself for a while now. It seems they are showing up automatically under their respective genres in this app too. I haven't checked them all yet though.
 
techn0lizard
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:07 am

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:39 am

I noticed that while navigating around there is a find channel by name option, although it's tough to find as buried as it is, how difficult would it be to move it to the top?
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
 
nowhereman
Topic Author
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 am

techn0lizard wrote:
I noticed that while navigating around there is a find channel by name option, although it's tough to find as buried as it is, how difficult would it be to move it to the top?


I hope I understood the question. The directory structure belongs to RadioTime. The channel simply displays what their API delivers. If there is a "By Name" directory at a given level, it's because it applies only to that level and does not contain streams that could be navigated to from above that level. For instance, a "Sports->NBA->By Name" selection would contain only NBA related streams. If there is not a "Sports->By Name" selection, it's because RadioTime does not offer one.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
nowhereman
Topic Author
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:34 am

dellsweig wrote:
1) You need to make some money from your work :)


People generally don't make money from hobbies. The guy down the street building a plane in his garage doesn't get paid for it. Same applies to me writing code. If people want to throw some change in my guitar case, they can do so from my site, but that's just gravy.

dellsweig wrote:
It would be nice to be able to add my own streams - kind of like the Roku Soundbridge Presets where you could add streams in.

The primary stream I want to add comes from a local server running on my network - The SirusXMStreamer from Presence software. This is a great tool that lets me play my XM channels over my Roku Soundbridge.

The output from the program is a stream:

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

I can configure this to do either asx or m3u format.

The MyMedia folks cant get this to play for whatever reason. Just wondering if your understanding of the stream type might be able to get this to play. It plays fine in IE8 on any machine on my network.

Any thoughts on user configurable URL's ??

Also - check this discussion out

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26695


I believe RadioTime has a mechanism whereby you can create an account and add streams and create favorites. If what you describe were to eventually be possible, it would be via that mechanism. You would create a RadioTime account and link it to your box so the channel could find and display your RadioTime favorites.
Last edited by nowhereman on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
techn0lizard
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:07 am

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 am

ah ty seems weird to have it SO far down in their hierarchy, but I understand.
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!
 
nowhereman
Topic Author
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:38 am

hoffmcs wrote:
I was just discussing creating a channel with RadioTime. I am going to send you some of the suggestions they provided me. Maybe I can assist with this channel.

Chris


By all means. Two Chrises are better than one :P
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

nowhereman wrote:

By all means. Two Chrises are better than one :P

NowhereMEN :wink:
 
Narsh
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 am

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

dellsweig wrote:
It would be nice to be able to add my own streams - kind of like the Roku Soundbridge Presets where you could add streams in.

The primary stream I want to add comes from a local server running on my network - The SirusXMStreamer from Presence software. This is a great tool that lets me play my XM channels over my Roku Soundbridge.

The output from the program is a stream:

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

I can configure this to do either asx or m3u format.

The MyMedia folks cant get this to play for whatever reason. Just wondering if your understanding of the stream type might be able to get this to play. It plays fine in IE8 on any machine on my network.

My 2 cents: I set up a channel with nowhereman's early standalone channel template (pre-PodTV) that streams from my local network using Foobar2000 with edcast through Icecast. I did that to convert and relay an AAC stream that the Roku can't otherwise play.

Anyway, during testing, I found that to Roku doesn't seem to play m3u format, it only plays non-playlist mp3 streams.

I haven't tried MyMedia yet, but you might be able to play the SiriusXMStreamer stream link in Foobar2000, then use edcast/Icecast to send a properly formatted mp3 stream to MyMedia. It would be something like: http://192.168.1.98:8000/stream.mp3

If that doesn't work, you might try playing your local Icecast stream through the Roku SDK audioapp example.
 
posg
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 am

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:13 pm

As mentioned above, mine worked for awhile, now just defaults back to the previous screen.
 
dellsweig
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am
Location: Campbell Hall NY

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:37 pm

hoffmcs wrote:
I was just discussing creating a channel with RadioTime. I am going to send you some of the suggestions they provided me. Maybe I can assist with this channel.

Chris


Does anyone know how to add my own URL stream to radiotime??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
 
DevilInPgh
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:32 pm

I second the need for a favorites in Stream Tuner, somehow connecting to the RadioTime favorites. Is this in the current build or forthcoming in the next one?

Also, you may want to do a better job of looking on the Internet for things that have a similar name as what you're designing, as there is already a Linux app called Streamtuner (but rather than using RadioTime, it uses Shoutcast and Icecast). If you try to submit this app to the Channel Store, you might end up with a GPL problem, if the GPL has any clauses regarding trademarks.
 
nowhereman
Topic Author
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:43 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
I second the need for a favorites in Stream Tuner, somehow connecting to the RadioTime favorites. Is this in the current build or forthcoming in the next one?

Also, you may want to do a better job of looking on the Internet for things that have a similar name as what you're designing, as there is already a Linux app called Streamtuner (but rather than using RadioTime, it uses Shoutcast and Icecast). If you try to submit this app to the Channel Store, you might end up with a GPL problem, if the GPL has any clauses regarding trademarks.


That's what alpha versions are for. Working out kinks. It's not that any job I did was insufficient and perhaps reading the GLP before insinuating what it may or may not say would be a good idea. The situation is simply that the time for worrying about what happens if and when something is submitted to the Channel Store is not upon us just yet. But, since you are so concerned, I can tell you that the development of this channel is now officially sanctioned by RadioTime.com and future iterations of it will bear their full branding.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
posg
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:32 am

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Right now there are only a few stations I can access. Most jump back to the previous screen. The Roku box gets so confused that I lose the ability to even access other channels. I reboot and it works fine, for awhile. I've had the Roku for over a year and haven't had any issues. There's something in Stream Tuner it doesn't like.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 16

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests