Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

nowhereman
Topic Author

Re: RadioTime

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:19 am

renojim wrote:
nowhereman wrote:
It's a pain because it means each channel that I want to have its own screen saver will need its own unique developer ID. That means every time I want to update a given channel, I have to go through the process of re-signing my box with the correct ID for that channel. It's also problematic because the box's registry seems to key off of the developer ID as well, so if I change the developer ID associated with a given channel, it will lose access to any data it has saved in the registry.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but "re-signing" the box? It's just the app that has to be packaged with a different password from another execution of genkey (maybe that's what you were saying). It would be nice to take this discussion to the Developer's Forum because I agree that there's some improvements that could be made in this area.

-JT

The messy part is developing several different channels, each with its own key, in parallel. You can't just generate a new key every time you package a channel because you would run into the registry issue I mentioned. You have to be sure that the appropriate key stays associated with each channel and that each channel always gets packaged with the appropriate key. And if you have a large collection of channels all built with the same key, suddenly having to change them all to have their own unique key because of these screen saver conflicts is going to cause headaches for end users when their channels forget any data they have stored in the registry. Re-signing the box with an existing key involves uploading an existing package known to be signed with that key to the box, then entering the password associated with that key. It's not overly complicated, but it's tedious.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

RokuPatrick

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 am

FWIW, we're looking into the issue.

callanish

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm just wondering how a Roku radiotime radio station can go from working fine from the day this channel was created for the Roku, to recently no longer being available in your country ( U.S ). I mean, the radio stations ( Radio Clyde 1 and Radio Clyde 2 U.K ) still work fine from a PC and can be streamed from the radiotime link successfully in the U.S ( just clicked the 112K stream with no problem), so why does it no longer work on the Roku when it continues to work on the radiotime website. I e-mailed radiotime, but only received a standard response without an actual answer. Frustrating as flower when the stations you actually want like the BBC radio 1 - 7 aren't supported and now my local U.K station ( Clyde 1 and Clyde 2 ) have pulled the rug from under my feet leaving me out in the cold. Don't misunderstand, I appreciate all the effort that's gone into creating the channel; I'm just frustrated that I've been frozen out from these stations on the Roku while it continues to work on the P.C, so in actual fact, Radiotime stating these channels are restricted by location isn't exactly true when you can still stream them on the P.C.

Wish there was a way to manually add a station from that radiotime 112K internet stream link to get my local radio stations back.

Robert99

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:34 pm

callanish wrote:
Wish there was a way to manually add a station from that radiotime 112K internet stream link to get my local radio stations back.

RadioTime does provide a way to add your own streams. However, they don't advertise it much, which is why it took me a long time to even discover it was there. And since I haven't tested adding my own custom RadioTime stream to my ROKU, there is a chance that this procedure might not work. However, as I understand things, I think the procedure you would need is:

0) If you don't have a RadioTime account linked to the ROKU, sign up for one and link it. I know the RadioTime channel will work reasonably well without a linked RadioTime account, but only a linked RadioTime account will let you customize your RadioTime "presets" via the web site.

1) Log into your RadioTime account on the web.

2) Go to the "Presets" tab.

3) At the bottom right of your "My Presets" list (in the lower blue bar just below the list of existing presets, not the bigger blue bar at the very bottom of the page), you will find a link called "Add custom URL (technical)". Click on that link.

3) Enter the name you want for the station, and the "deep link" stream URL for your custom radio station.

NOTE: The ROKU generally works best if you can get a MP3 stream that is streamed via "http" (not the default mms). So I would expect that you may have problems playing the station on the ROKU unless you follow those limits (i.e. only URLs that are deep http links to a streaming MP3 station).

In theory, that should be all that is needed to add your own custom "preset" to your RadioTime account. And again (in theory) I would expect (ROKU compatible) streams made this way to play on the ROKU's RadioTime channel (when your RadioTime account is linked to the ROKU, and the stream you added was in a format the ROKU can play). However, since I haven't tested this theory yet, YMMV.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Robert99 is correct. I had been using Radiotime for several years before Nowhereman wrote the Roku app and introduced it as a private channel. I had added several custom stations before. When I added the channel, all the custom presets were there and play just fine.

callanish

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Robert99 wrote:
callanish wrote:

RadioTime does provide a way to add your own streams. However, they don't advertise it much, which is why it took me a long time to even discover it was there. And since I haven't tested adding my own custom RadioTime stream to my ROKU, there is a chance that this procedure might not work. However, as I understand things, I think the procedure you would need is:

0) If you don't have a RadioTime account linked to the ROKU, sign up for one and link it. I know the RadioTime channel will work reasonably well without a linked RadioTime account, but only a linked RadioTime account will let you customize your RadioTime "presets" via the web site.

1) Log into your RadioTime account on the web.

2) Go to the "Presets" tab.

3) At the bottom right of your "My Presets" list (in the lower blue bar just below the list of existing presets, not the bigger blue bar at the very bottom of the page), you will find a link called "Add custom URL (technical)". Click on that link.

3) Enter the name you want for the station, and the "deep link" stream URL for your custom radio station.

NOTE: The ROKU generally works best if you can get a MP3 stream that is streamed via "http" (not the default mms). So I would expect that you may have problems playing the station on the ROKU unless you follow those limits (i.e. only URLs that are deep http links to a streaming MP3 station).

In theory, that should be all that is needed to add your own custom "preset" to your RadioTime account. And again (in theory) I would expect (ROKU compatible) streams made this way to play on the ROKU's RadioTime channel (when your RadioTime account is linked to the ROKU, and the stream you added was in a format the ROKU can play). However, since I haven't tested this theory yet, YMMV.

Thank you for that. Didn't know that was possible. It's definitely worth the effort to try to see if it'll work for me. Appreciate the help!

Tried everything in my power to find a way to get it to work. Best HTTP stream I could find for the station was ' http://tx.whatson.com/icecast.php?i=clyde2.mp3.m3u '' Unfortunately, no success with putting it in as a preset. It's as if those two radio stations that I was trying to connect to have pulled the plug on roku's radiotime stream. My ipod touch, a radio streaming app, and a speaker dock will have to take over the job of streaming my far away local radio stations. Oh well, at least it still works in another way. Thanks again for the info.

RokuChris

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 pm

nowhereman wrote:
I'm working on a significant update to the channel and I could use some people to hammer on it and make sure it's still working at least as well as the released version. It's not scheduled to be made public for at least a month, but there's a ton of content in this channel and it's way more than I can test on my own. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=KXHJX

Hey, all. Now that firmware 2.7 is making its way to your boxes, I think all the pieces are in place to finally launch the re-branded RadioTime channel. If anyone has been using the beta version and is still seeing any major issues, give a holler.

I should mention, since it isn't obvious, that those of you who have the new 12 button remote can use the "info" button to bring up a contextual menu for any station from the poster screen. Among other things, that will let you add and remove presets without navigating into the station's play screen.

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 am

RokuChris wrote:
nowhereman wrote:
I'm working on a significant update to the channel and I could use some people to hammer on it and make sure it's still working at least as well as the released version. It's not scheduled to be made public for at least a month, but there's a ton of content in this channel and it's way more than I can test on my own. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=KXHJX

Hey, all. Now that firmware 2.7 is making its way to your boxes, I think all the pieces are in place to finally launch the re-branded RadioTime channel. If anyone has been using the beta version and is still seeing any major issues, give a holler.

I should mention, since it isn't obvious, that those of you who have the new 12 button remote can use the "info" button to bring up a contextual menu for any station from the poster screen. Among other things, that will let you add and remove presets without navigating into the station's play screen.
Nicely done, sir. And the new branding looks great!
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

lisaekh

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Just wanted to say how much we love radio time at our house...it has almost completely replaced our Philips media bridge that needs to be unplugged every time we use it to reset the network connection.

Anyway, there is just ONE feature we would love to see that would make it perfect. If you could display the title and artist information of the songs that are playing (when this information is available), it would be a great feature.

Lisa

Village Idiot

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 am

Some station do show that but only when you're scrolling through the channels of channels you might like.
Once i lock onto a channel all i get is who the dj is.
Not every station is set up for roku.
I have several favorite stations ( such as WISN out of Milwaukee ) that won't work.
It would be nice if roku would make whatever adjustment is necessary for receive all stations.

dahauss

Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 am

What do I need to do to get CUSTOM URLS on radio time working?? I added some of the PREMIUM STREAMS from JAZZRADIO.COM but NONE of them will play on the WEB site, my ANDROID PHONE .. I havent tested on roku yet but I bet the same issue..

any help would be appreciated....

-- Dave

thegeekjedi

Can't generate registration code!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Help!

Got a new box, and when I linked it to my Roku account, it resynched all my channels including RadioTime. On first launch, it asked if I wanted to link my account. I answered yes and the channel reset.

It actually didn't link, and when I went to get the registration code in the channel, I get "Content Not Available".
Watch me on This Week in Radio Tech, live on the TWiT.tv network Wednesdays at 5pm PT/8pm ET. Jumpscan.com/thegeekjedi

RokuChris

Re: Can't generate registration code!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:34 pm

thegeekjedi wrote:
Got a new box, and when I linked it to my Roku account, it resynched all my channels including RadioTime. On first launch, it asked if I wanted to link my account. I answered yes and the channel reset.

It actually didn't link, and when I went to get the registration code in the channel, I get "Content Not Available".

Looks like the TuneIn API is not behaving quite the way the channel is expecting it to. I'll get with the TuneIn guys and see what's up.

thegeekjedi

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks!
Watch me on This Week in Radio Tech, live on the TWiT.tv network Wednesdays at 5pm PT/8pm ET. Jumpscan.com/thegeekjedi