Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

posg

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:52 pm

The stations I CAN access seem to be stations that are on Shoutcast. All others are MIA.

DevilInPgh

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:28 pm

posg wrote:
The stations I CAN access seem to be stations that are on Shoutcast. All others are MIA.

Agreed. A stream that works through NWM's streaming app (Rusty Mike Radio) doesn't work in the RadioTime/Stream Tuner app, despite the URL in RadioTime.com being an MP3 stream. Hopefully this helps for looking for specific problems in the code.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:59 pm

RoadRanger wrote:
posg wrote:
Right now there are only a few stations I can access. Most jump back to the previous screen. The Roku box gets so confused that I lose the ability to even access other channels. I reboot and it works fine, for awhile. I've had the Roku for over a year and haven't had any issues. There's something in Stream Tuner it doesn't like.
I believe that the issue is that the Roku player gets its brain scrambled if it is asked to play a file/stream that isn't "right". Roku's original intention was for the channel provider to also be the provider of the content so should assure that the content didn't blow up the Roku player. Now that many channels either reference random third party content or the channel/content provider doesn't bother to 100% vet their content maybe Roku is moving towards making their system survive bad content? I believe they are :) but they haven't come out and said that AFAIK...

I think you're right. The box is extremely picky about content and does not properly handle a lot of mechanisms that pretty much any other media software and device does (m3u files and non-standard http port numbers to name a few). It also amazes me how easy it is to hang/crash the entire box even though the developer documentation claims that each channel runs in its own protected memory space. IMHO, the way this box was originally designed flies directly in the face of a Roku exec's public claim that they want to make it play every video on the net. I'm mildly puzzled as to why they took the approach they did. Especially given all the existing plugin/widget based devices they could have looked to for inspiration. Chumby is the example I like to use. I would love for this box to evolve into a Chumby for the TV, but it's very difficult given the current state of the SDK and the box's finickiness. Roku is pretty tight-lipped about what they're working on for the future, but I share your hope that they are addressing these issues.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix

dupondt

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

nowhereman wrote:
The box is extremely picky about content and does not properly handle a lot of mechanisms that pretty much any other media software and device does

The DVP presumably doesn't have the capability of correctly parsing audio playlist files (PLS, M3U, ASX, etc.) so it will not handle audio URLs which in reality are playlists. You'll probably have to find a way to write your own parsers in your channel as many radio URLs are playlist files.

Greetings
dupondt

PS: I'm quite amazed that you use RadioTime. Roku have their own radio station database (Radio Roku) which I would have thought would have been the natural choice for an internet radio channel.
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

nowhereman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31 pm

dupondt wrote:
nowhereman wrote:
The box is extremely picky about content and does not properly handle a lot of mechanisms that pretty much any other media software and device does

The DVP presumably doesn't have the capability of correctly parsing audio playlist files (PLS, M3U, ASX, etc.) so it will not handle audio URLs which in reality are playlists. You'll probably have to find a way to write your own parsers in your channel as many radio URLs are playlist files.

The RadioTime channel already includes quite a bit of parsing code for playlist files. My point was that the lack of support for them was conspicuous in a media-centric device. Combine that with BrightScript's anemic support for String processing, and things can get frustrating pretty quickly. At least they can for an old Perl hack who can't get through the day without using regular expressions. 8)

dupondt wrote:
PS: I'm quite amazed that you use RadioTime. Roku have their own radio station database (Radio Roku) which I would have thought would have been the natural choice for an internet radio channel.

Roku does not make an API for their service available to 3rd party developers. I always gravitate to the lowest barrier of entry. In this case, that was RadioTime.

dupondt

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:24 pm

nowhereman wrote:
My point was that the lack of support for them was conspicuous in a media-centric device.

I'm far from defending Roku, but support for parsing audio playlist files woudn't be on my feature list if I had to design a video device (ASX is a different matter, though).

Roku does not make an API for their service available to 3rd party developers.

Radio Roku's "API" consists of only a handful of PHP calls which are so easy to sniff that some Russian decided to steal the whole content. You can download the complete database here.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

nowhereman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 pm

dupondt wrote:
Radio Roku's "API" consists of only a handful of PHP calls which are so easy to sniff that some Russian decided to steal the whole content. You can download the complete database here.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in sniffing around to find things that weren't intended for me or downloading entire databases. I'm also not Russian. RadioTime offers a very easy to use, openly available, well documented, feature rich, OPML based API and their people are very responsive and helpful to developers using it. I'm perfectly content with my choice.

nowhereman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 pm

RoadRanger wrote:
Hay, any idea where I can "find" this in the channel:
Radio Margaritaville
Genres: Beach-Calypso Caribbean

It does come up on the RadioTime.com website (the above is the entry copied) and has MP3 feeds but i can not find either of those genres nor anything under the "Florida Keys" location :(.

I know it's in there. I remember seeing it last night. I don't remember where though. If you go ahead and set a preset for it in your RadioTime account, you will very soon be able to link your account and get access to your presets from within the channel. My goal is to release that feature tonight.

techn0lizard

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Just want to say thank you, your internet radio channel is a BIG hit at our house. Are you going to remove the internet music from PODTV?

LMAO the wife is dancing, gotta go!

:D
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!

DevilInPgh

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:26 pm

techn0lizard wrote:
Just want to say thank you, your internet radio channel is a BIG hit at our house. Are you going to remove the internet music from PODTV?

LMAO the wife is dancing, gotta go!

:D

I don't think it's time to get rid of the original Internet Radio app quite yet. That works flawlessly (with the exception of having to input stations), whereas this is still very much alpha. One suggestion I may have is to see what how the WunderRadio apps for iPhone and Blackberry are able to handle the streams from RadioTime. I notice that none of the CBS Radio or Clear Channel stations work. This may relate to the links to streams on the RadioTime website being forced going to external links. Speaking of which, anyone have any contacts with CBS Radio or Clear Channel (iHeartRadio) to get their apps ported to Roku?

dellsweig

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:59 am

dupondt wrote:
nowhereman wrote:

Greetings
dupondt

I have been waiting for someone to bring up RadioRoku..... I have many presets, both local streams and internet streams I use that for playing through my trusty Soundbridge.

I seems like a natural to bring that into the RokuDVP
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Preset Reg. Code

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 am

Earlier today I noticed the preset registration feature had been activated. I went as far as the registration code page but backed out because I didn't have time to finish then. I went back a few minutes ago to complete registering my Roku, but now the registration code isn't showing up. I removed and reinstalled the channel but still no code page. I have the My Presets icon, but that's as far as it goes. Any ideas?

nowhereman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:19 am

kc8pql wrote:
Earlier today I noticed the preset registration feature had been activated. I went as far as the registration code page but backed out because I didn't have time to finish then. I went back a few minutes ago to complete registering my Roku, but now the registration code isn't showing up. I removed and reinstalled the channel but still no code page. I have the My Presets icon, but that's as far as it goes. Any ideas?

Once you clicked "yes, link now", the channel made a note not to bug you at launch any more. My next task is to add a "Settings" item to the far right of the category bar that will let you generate a new code. I just didn't get to it last night. It will be in the next iteration.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am

nowhereman wrote:
kc8pql wrote:

Once you clicked "yes, link now", the channel made a note not to bug you at launch any more. My next task is to add a "Settings" item to the far right of the category bar that will let you generate a new code. I just didn't get to it last night. It will be in the next iteration.

OK, thanks. No problem here. I can wait 'till you have time.

hotw00

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 am

The addition of this channel is stunning. The Roku DVP at its current pricing is a ridiculously good value. At $80 for the standard def version - every home in the world should have one. I can finally respond to my Chumby-lovin' buddy that constantly brags about his internet radio alarm clock. I don't see his Chumby doing HD movies via HDMI.

I'm beginning to really realize how much content is out there on the internet. Sure, it takes a bit of exploring to find stuff that you like, but it's probably out there. I've got my kids clapping and jumping to Polka right now.

I haven't turned on my stereo since Roku added Pandora. With the additional abilities to add streaming radio - I'm starting to break down my components and consider selling them. I may do the same with my DVD player (I don't even remember what Netflix DVD we currently have but we've had it for months).

Bravo, nowhereman. This channel is amazing.