Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
BoloMKXXVIII
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00 am
Location: On or near Earth

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:42 am

hotw00 wrote:
I can finally respond to my Chumby-lovin' buddy that constantly brags about his internet radio alarm clock.
I have a Chumby and a Roku. I would not get rid of either. Not sure how you can compare the two.
I haven't turned on my stereo since Roku added Pandora.
Why not connect your Roku to your stereo? If you use the RCA jacks you can turn your TV off once you have the channel selected (assuming you are using HDMI to connect your Roku to your TV).
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
 
hotw00
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 am

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:59 am

hotw00 wrote:I can finally respond to my Chumby-lovin' buddy that constantly brags about his internet radio alarm clock.
I have a Chumby and a Roku. I would not get rid of either. Not sure how you can compare the two.
I haven't turned on my stereo since Roku added Pandora.
Why not connect your Roku to your stereo? If you use the RCA jacks you can turn your TV off once you have the channel selected (assuming you are using HDMI to connect your Roku to your TV).


I don't have a Chumby. I'd love one. Someday, I imagine we'll have a lot more internet-connected devices in our homes than we do today. For now, Roku is my little specialty/internet gizmo and a buddy has a Chumby. We're just constantly bragging about them to each other. I think they're both fantastic devices and am jealous that you have both.

My hand-me-down speakers are really not worth the trouble. My TV has a better/comparable sound so I've been too lazy/unmotivated to connect it to the stereo receiver. Plus, the stereo has just become a panel of fun buttons for my toddlers to toggle. That's also part of the motivation to box it up (at least for now).

I'd add that any parent of young kids needs to really, really consider a Roku DVP. We're probably saving a million bucks on Barney, Wiggles, etc. video content via Netflix. And Pandora's kid-friendly stations and this RadioTime channel's content have been wonderful. All from one device!
 
DeftOne
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:20 pm

hotw00 wrote:
I'd add that any parent of young kids needs to really, really consider a Roku DVP. We're probably saving a million bucks on Barney, Wiggles, etc. video content via Netflix. And Pandora's kid-friendly stations and this RadioTime channel's content have been wonderful. All from one device!

Nowhereman has some pretty good kid-friendly content in his Pod TV private channel as well. I'd suggest checking that out, if you haven't already.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
 
serialjoepsycho
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:30 pm

this is pretty cool
 
nowhereman
Topic Author
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: Preset Reg. Code

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:40 pm

nowhereman wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
Earlier today I noticed the preset registration feature had been activated. I went as far as the registration code page but backed out because I didn't have time to finish then. I went back a few minutes ago to complete registering my Roku, but now the registration code isn't showing up. I removed and reinstalled the channel but still no code page. I have the My Presets icon, but that's as far as it goes. Any ideas?


Once you clicked "yes, link now", the channel made a note not to bug you at launch any more. My next task is to add a "Settings" item to the far right of the category bar that will let you generate a new code. I just didn't get to it last night. It will be in the next iteration.


This should be fixed. Navigate to the Channel Store to sync your box and get the update.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Preset Reg. Code

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:38 pm

nowhereman wrote:
nowhereman wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
Earlier today I noticed the preset registration feature had been activated. I went as far as the registration code page but backed out because I didn't have time to finish then. I went back a few minutes ago to complete registering my Roku, but now the registration code isn't showing up. I removed and reinstalled the channel but still no code page. I have the My Presets icon, but that's as far as it goes. Any ideas?


Once you clicked "yes, link now", the channel made a note not to bug you at launch any more. My next task is to add a "Settings" item to the far right of the category bar that will let you generate a new code. I just didn't get to it last night. It will be in the next iteration.


This should be fixed. Navigate to the Channel Store to sync your box and get the update.

Worked just fine. Thanks!
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Great work! Thank you for this channel - the box is becoming useful again.
If some links are not supported - can this be fixed, or is it box-related limitations?
This addition clearly shows how short-sighted Roku developers are. Instead of spending a couple of days and increasing the appeal of the device, they are going the corporate path...
:)
 
nowhereman
Topic Author
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:01 pm

blocked wrote:
Great work! Thank you for this channel - the box is becoming useful again.
If some links are not supported - can this be fixed, or is it box-related limitations?
This addition clearly shows how short-sighted Roku developers are. Instead of spending a couple of days and increasing the appeal of the device, they are going the corporate path...
:)


We're working on figuring out why some streams that should play don't. Roku and RadioTime are both excited about this channel and participating in the development process.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Most of my presets are showing as "not supported" (play fine in Squeezebox radio) - but for some reason I have no doubt that they will work fine very soon. Keep up the good work!
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:25 am

Oh, I thought ROKU programmers are working day and night to improve their device :)
How come such a little company as Microsoft is ignored with their formats ? Rude!
 
dupondt
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Germany, European Union

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 am

blocked wrote:
How come such a little company as Microsoft is ignored with their formats ? Rude!


It's about the money, presumably: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/final.aspx#WindowsMediaAudioStandardVersion_Final.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:05 am

You mean, Roku would run a negative balance if they decided to buy the software and pay royalties to Microsoft?... :) They would not, for sure.
Would I pay $10 to be able to play more formats? Sure, it is much cheaper than buying another device. Would roku take it? I don't think so... :)
 
dupondt
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Germany, European Union

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:49 am

blocked wrote:
You mean, Roku would run a negative balance if they decided to buy the software and pay royalties to Microsoft?... :)

I don't know. Maybe when designing the Amazon/Netflix Wonderbox-Thingy (TM alanmc) they simply forgot to license the codecs? :wink:

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
 
dupondt
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Germany, European Union

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:54 am

RoadRanger wrote:
I believe they would have to pay a royalty to legally include a WMA decoder but it is quite cheap if included in every box I'm told.

Depends on how many boxes you sell. $400,000 per year for one or two channel audio only is quite a lot of money to start with (video is another $400,000).

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: An Internet Radio Channel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 am

To start with? You mean, to grow with...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests