Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rrrccc
Topic Author

MLBTV When

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Add me to the list of rapidly becoming a dissatisfied customer.

I ordered the ROKU player specifically for MLBTV and it’s mid April and no MLBTV.

I believe ROKU should give me a definitive date when MLBTV is targeted to go live or a refund is in order.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Re: MLBTV When

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:39 pm

rrrccc wrote:
Add me to the list of rapidly becoming a dissatisfied customer.

I ordered the ROKU player specifically for MLBTV and it’s mid April and no MLBTV.

I believe ROKU should give me a definitive date when MLBTV is targeted to go live or a refund is in order.

I think you will have to ask MLB that question. It is regarding their CHANNEL, and NOT the Roku HARDWARE.

slo8140

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm

When you call MLB.com as I did Wednesday, they place the blame on Roku. They say that they have delivered the content and that Roku has not made it go live yet.

I am sure the blame should probably be shared between the two companies. There was a major change to MLB.TV toward the end of the spring training games. That may be why ROKU and MLB.TV are having a hard time working together.

ynotbor

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I find it interesting that Boxee and Playon both have apps that are working with MLB right now. The Boxee app even looks pretty good. I am watching it right now via an Acer Aspire Revo. The Revo is about $70 more than the top of the line Roku and since it is a nettop computer, it comes complete with all the stuff developers a working so hard to bring to the Roku - I think this will cause me to move my Roku away from the main tv and I am not too sure the roku will come back once MLB.TV is available on it. I am all about giving the benefit of the doubt and witnessing revolutions in sports broadcasting, but I am missing baseball on the Roku.

skivvies007

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 am

I've given up. I don't really care at this point who is to blame--Roku or MLB.TV. The "Mid-April" date is fast turning to "Late-April," especially considering the Beta has not yet started. I caved and bought Extra Innings on DirecTV. Sadly, this meant I actually had to SIGN UP for DirecTV. So much for cutting the cable.

calicommando

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:43 am

Again, how do you know the beta hasn't started?

AnClar

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:07 am

calicommando wrote:

I second Cali. There've been a number of pronouncements from people here that they KNOW the beta hasn't started. Unless they can show proof of their assumptions, they remain just that, assumptions, not fact. Roku has not stated officially that a beta is or is not in progress, and if there are people on the forums who are in a beta program, I'm sure that Roku has them under a confidentiality clause. I've beta'ed for other companies, and confidentiality is ALWAYS a part of the rules for participation.

I sympathize with everyone who is disappointed and frustrated about the delay in getting MLB to the Roku player. I'm in that group also. I choose to wait it out. For those of you who are unhappy, you can either choose to wait, or go elsewhere. Given the hundreds of comments on this forum about the delay, I think it's fair to say that Roku is aware of user opinion, so flaming or whining isn't going to help or speed up the process. RokuJamesL has stated that Roku is working diligently to get MLB working, and while they may have not handled announcement of dates very gracefully, I believe they are working as they've stated.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300

kc8pql

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:23 am

AnClar wrote:
...confidentiality is ALWAYS a part of the rules.

Correct, and as stated before, Roku usually starts their betas with experienced testers that they have worked with before. The noobs are added later in waves as fixes are made and the testing progresses.

jeffrok

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:21 am

Roku People of Good Streaming Taste (me included sometimes) need to ease up on people who were told long before the season started that MLB was going to be available for the 2010 MLB season.

This is a problem with both Roku AND the MLB, and to blame one or the other is further showing your "fanboyism".. Just stay out of it if it doesn't affect you, and let those who are affected by it vent. They have every right to because they were slightly misinformed by Roku and MLB.TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

calicommando

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:50 am

jeffrok wrote:
Roku People of Good Streaming Taste (me included sometimes) need to ease up on people who were told long before the season started that MLB was going to be available for the 2010 MLB season.

This is a problem with both Roku AND the MLB, and to blame one or the other is further showing your "fanboyism".. Just stay out of it if it doesn't affect you, and let those who are affected by it vent. They have every right to because they were slightly misinformed by Roku and MLB.TV.

While I agree that no one knows who's to blame, my issue is with the repeated posts saying the same thing. If this were any other topic and people were starting multiple threads and posting 50 posts in each one and everyone said the same thing, I'm fairly certain you'd have issue. James has already posted to these forums apologizing for the delay and saying that MLB should be available in mid to late april. I just don't understand what more people want. Posting here and saying how negligent Roku has been helps nothing. Everyone gets it. The communication was lousy. Let's give them a fair chance to come through on their new promise.

RokuJamesL wrote:
The MLB channel will be changing shortly to indicate the new ETA on the Roku player, which as of now is mid to late April.

Our engineering team is working around the clock to deliver the MLB.TV channel as fast as possible. While we regrettably will not make Opening Day, late April is the latest possible date it will be available. Once there’s a firm date for delivery, we’ll announce on the forums and through social media avenues so stay tuned.

AnClar

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:07 am

And Jeff, my beef is with people who proclaim opinion as fact. Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion and reaction to a situation, and is free to state it here or wherever. But when that opinion becomes misrepresentation, I take issue with it. If anyone who has stated on these forums that they KNOW that Roku has not started an MLB beta can post proof positive of that, I challenge them to do it, in which case I'll admit that I was wrong. Otherwise, I'd ask them to not post unsupported opinion or speculation as fact.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4

skivvies007

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 am

calicommando wrote:

Because one of the Roku guys said a few days ago on another thread (the one that was locked, I believe) that they were "close" on the Beta. Granted, there could be some "super-secret" beta for experienced beta testers, but I'm in the beta group they announced a few weeks ago, and it hasn't started for me yet. Regardless, if all the beta users aren't testing yet, that "mid-April" timeline is bogus.

jeffrok wrote:

Amen. By the way, I do like my Roku for Netflix. It's great that I can push HD content over wireless. I'm just frustrated about the MLB thing because that's the main reason I bought it for. I could already stream Netflix over my XBox.

vidswaps

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

I am also a newbie that bought the Roku for the MLB season.
And one thing that I don't understand is wasn't MLB.TV working fine last year on
the Roku?
So what changed this year that is causing this delay?

calicommando

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 am

vidswaps wrote:
And one thing that I don't understand is wasn't MLB.TV working fine last year on
the Roku?

The way I understand it, the company that MLB was using for hosting and streaming went under. They pretty much had to start from scratch with a new company.

AnClar

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:40 am

vidswaps wrote:
the Roku?

It was stated somewhere in these forums (I can't find the post ATM) that the company that was involved in the streaming last year, went belly-up, so that MLB and Roku had to scramble to find another company to handle some of the technical aspects of MLB streaming. I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems plausible. There was also a post regarding some late-breaking technical changes that resulted in some of the issues going on now. Again I can't vouch for the truth of that post.

I had MLB last season, and the experience wasn't all that great. The video streams were herky-jerky, and I wasn't overly impressed with the quality. Toward the end of last season, Roku stated that they were intending to make major improvements to the video quality for the upcoming (this) season. It seems logical to assume that SOMETHING major happened technologically and unexpectedly, and at the last minute, that has resulted in the delays. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Last edited by AnClar on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4