Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
nowhereman
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:02 pm
Location: AZ
Contact:

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm

yotatruck9 wrote:
That is very different than, say, Sony, who makes the TV but doesn't provide the content. The only thing the Roku box can do is receive Roku-provided content (from Roku)


I'd disagree with that. Roku does not provide any of the content on this device. The channels on your Roku box do not connect to Roku servers. The content is managed and delivered by the various providers (Netflix, Amazon, etc), not by Roku. Any content provider who wants to build a channel and put their content on the device can do so without Roku doing anything, provided the content is in a format compatible with the device.

I should also say that I do wholeheartedly agree that Roku is much more than just a hardware vendor. The box is a platform, a marriage of hardware and software, just like any other computer. The channels we build depend on Roku's firmware and the interface and playback features they choose to provide (or not provide) via the device.
Last edited by nowhereman on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
 
DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3231
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:50 am
Location: One East 161st Street, Bronx, NY 10451
Contact:

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I contacted the California Attorney General's office this morning.

Roku advertised the entire MLB season would be available on the Roku dvp. Roku advertised this as fact until the day before opening day when they made the first announcement that the MLB.tv channel would not be available as promised.

Many people (my self included) purchased the Roku dvp expressly for the purpose of watching the MLB.tv games. I had no interest in MLB.tv on the computer and with no cable or satellite the Extra Innings package was not available to me.

My purchase was based solely on Roku advertisements of the channels availability. I had zero interest in Netflix or any of the offered channels.

I have asked the Attorney General's office to look into Roku corporate documents and ascertain if and when they became aware of the delay in the MLB.tv channel launch and if aware that the channel launch was delayed that they continued to act in a deceptive and possibly illegal way to entice further sales by failing to disclose the true facts.

The roar of silence from Roku regarding the issue of non-delivery of promised MLB and NBA content channels is deafening.


Peace

brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 pm

DaBronx wrote:
I contacted the California Attorney General's office this morning.

Roku advertised the entire MLB season would be available on the Roku dvp. Roku advertised this as fact until the day before opening day when they made the first announcement that the MLB.tv channel would not be available as promised.

Many people (my self included) purchased the Roku dvp expressly for the purpose of watching the MLB.tv games. I had no interest in MLB.tv on the computer and with no cable or satellite the Extra Innings package was not available to me.

My purchase was based solely on Roku advertisements of the channels availability. I had zero interest in Netflix or any of the offered channels.

I have asked the Attorney General's office to look into Roku corporate documents and ascertain if and when they became aware of the delay in the MLB.tv channel launch and if aware that the channel launch was delayed that they continued to act in a deceptive and possibly illegal way to entice further sales by failing to disclose the true facts.

The roar of silence from Roku regarding the issue of non-delivery of promised MLB and NBA content channels is deafening.


Peace

brett


Yes I responded to this abuse of the system in another thread. Wasting Taxpayer money like this should be a crime.
 
User avatar
KennyJ
Posts: 4048
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:00 pm

philsoft wrote:
DaBronx wrote:
I contacted the California Attorney General's office this morning.

Roku advertised the entire MLB season would be available on the Roku dvp. Roku advertised this as fact until the day before opening day when they made the first announcement that the MLB.tv channel would not be available as promised.

Many people (my self included) purchased the Roku dvp expressly for the purpose of watching the MLB.tv games. I had no interest in MLB.tv on the computer and with no cable or satellite the Extra Innings package was not available to me.

My purchase was based solely on Roku advertisements of the channels availability. I had zero interest in Netflix or any of the offered channels.

I have asked the Attorney General's office to look into Roku corporate documents and ascertain if and when they became aware of the delay in the MLB.tv channel launch and if aware that the channel launch was delayed that they continued to act in a deceptive and possibly illegal way to entice further sales by failing to disclose the true facts.

The roar of silence from Roku regarding the issue of non-delivery of promised MLB and NBA content channels is deafening.


Peace

brett


Yes I responded to this abuse of the system in another thread. Wasting Taxpayer money like this should be a crime.


Yeah... THAT is completely ridiculous. Just return the frickin' device already. You've got to be kidding me. Being upset is one thing... Reporting this to the attorney general as fraud though is insanity.
 
craig64
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:09 pm

No, your hosting podcasts in a bathrobe should be a crime silly philly. Ithink I saw a few comments you didn't reply to. You're slipping buddy.

Yes I responded to this abuse of the system in another thread. Wasting Taxpayer money like this should be a crime.[/quote]
 
bsdbum
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 am

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm

good for you dabronx, philsoft I assume you work for roku or have some sort of close ties to someone who does. Without a close tie to someone on the inside it is hard to imagine someone as passionate about such lousy way of doing business and public disservice as roku has been the past few weeks about all of this MLB/NBA nonsense. You will/have probably say that you have zero connection with roku and you are just a passionate roku user eager to help everyone who is a roku customer/user to make a better product experience. This alone is enough for me to doubt your true intentions here in the forum anyway so just save it.

Roku is on the hot seat no doubt from all this MLB.TV hupla. I would not be surprised if they do run into serious legal problems because of such. I don't care what you say about them being a hardware service and MLB being a content/software service. They both advertise for each other and when push comes to shove (legally) MLB will prevail and roku will end up with nothing if this continues throughout the season.
 
ADHurt
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Can we try to avoid flame wars? Yes, some people are upset that Roku doesn't the channel yet. But really??? Can't we act like adults (both sides of the issue)?
 
moviegeek65
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:50 pm

I contacted the California Attorney General's office this morning.


I think Jerry Brown has more important things to do...like run for governor. :D

Seriously, I am also angry at Roku but asking the AG to get involved is rediculous.
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:15 pm

bsdbum wrote:
good for you dabronx.


'nuff said. That short line defines your credibility with me completely.
 
bsdbum
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 am

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Again your protection of roku is on this issue is incredible. You continue to dodge the facts about this product and its ability to do what it has been advertised it will do. Yes the Roku does a good job of running a limited number of applications, that however still does not overcome the very valid fact that it does not work as advertised.
 
abozich
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 am

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:59 pm

FWIW ... I'm hearing BETA tomorrow.
 
craig64
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:28 pm

I would encourage anyone who is disappointed by the complete absence of any meaningful or formal communication regarding the failure to launch the Roku channel repeatedly as advertised to contact:

matthew.gould@mlb.com
Matthew Gould
VP, Corporate Communications
Major League Baseball Advanced Media
 
ADHurt
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: MLBTV When

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 pm

I encourage anyone still waiting to look at the forum and see the public beta is clearly beginning.

***super happy***
 
cwniles
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: MLBTV When

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:30 am

*wonders if mods might be tempted to ban one or two people who constantly contribute nothing but off-topic personal attacks*


um yeah, like ADHurt said, the public beta is live so perhaps we can stop all this nonsense?
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
 
vmps
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:48 am

Re: MLBTV When

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:17 am

yotatruck9 wrote:
(snip lots of stuff about wanting a partial refund from roku)

I think people are over simplifying the Roku Box by just calling it "hardware," in the same manner as a hammer or something, and placing all the blame on MLB. You buy it to watch programming provided by Roku, Inc (that was created by MLB). Roku advertises the content, and you connect to Roku Inc to watch it. That is very different than, say, Sony, who makes the TV but doesn't provide the content. The only thing the Roku box can do is receive Roku-provided content (from Roku), so when that content is unavailable, customers aren't getting what they paid for. Whether the technical issues lie on MLB's end, Roku's end, or somewhere in the middle, they advertised it together and both companies profit off it. Both should be responsible for compensating customers who have been denied the service they paid for.


You'd have a case if MLB was the only think you can do with a roku. It isn't, so you don't. There's a 30 day return policy, if you don't like the product send it back. To try to extort money because you don't like the specific mix of available features is just lame. You're also dead wrong that the device can only play content from roku, as evidenced by the fact that several people on this very forum have created their own channels.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests