Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chriscom

Re: MLB.TV Public Beta Feedback

Thu May 13, 2010 10:16 am

figaro wrote:
Wired Ethernet - Cable Modem (12Mbps capable) - Linksys WRT54gs router
Wednesday night
Cards/Astros (Live) - tried watching both feeds for a couple innings, constant buffering so extreme I gave up and switched games. PQ good.
Yankees/Tigers (Live) Detroit feed - managed to watch two innings with no problems then buffering began same as Cards/Astros game. After four buffers I lost patience and turned off TV, didn't try NY feed. PQ was also good in this game.

Harko5 wondered if people have checked their bandwidth. Well I've probably done that 100 times since early March when I first started watching Spring Training games on MLB.TV. Mine usually reads in the 9-10 Mbps range. Of course this is running a speedtest to a MLB test site. In reality I doubt that MLB is streaming anywhere near that figure most of the time.
On my PC I've used software to measure bandwidth while watching games and though it sometimes spikes into double digits it often hovers in the 1.5 to 3.0 range. Many others have reported the same thing on the MLB forum. Don't know what bandwidth MLB is streaming at on the Roku I've never tried testing it. As I recall some people have talked about doing this using the Roku debug mode, does anyone know for sure if this method is accurate?

Yeah, i see where harko is coming from, but bandwidth on the customer end is not the problem, and multiple posters have checked their bandwidth to establish that fact. I do recall on recent customer who had a bandwidth-marginal DSL, but that's one time in 71 pages of comments.

nw13

Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 am

It would appear that there is a lot of finger pointing going on here, and not a lot of resolving - by either party.

Roku folks blame MLB's feed.

When issues are brought up at MLB.tv forums, they refer all inquiries to Roku: http://www.mlb.com/help/supportforum/fo ... e6e0286b94

So who is going to give us any real answers?

I've been getting a playback error with suggestion to restart my Roku with the MLB feed for the last week straight. Can't watch anything. Been a complete nightmare to date.

Chris73

Thu May 13, 2010 11:15 am

Briefly checked out the Yankees-Tigers today just after Noon CST. Just like last night, the game loading straight up without a hanging Loading bar. Time of day may have something to do with it, but again, the last two weeks I have gotten NOWHERE (literally...hanging Loading bar for two weeks straight) with Roku. Will check it out again tonight for Nationals-Rockies. Results encouraging so far the last two days.

Also, has anyone ever had their Roku reboot itself? Mine did that last night.

rbenjamin

Thu May 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Here is an interesting tool to specifically test the speed from your computer to the MLB.tv servers:

http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.html

I tested mine a few different times and all came back between 12,000 and 15,000 kbps, which is well beyond the 3,000 kbps they say is required for HD video.

It is odd that I get 12,000 to 15,000 kbps through this test (which somewhat jives with the results I get through speedtest.net), but my roku box debug mode insists my connection is never faster than 3.6 mbps when on the mlb.tv channel. It is also odd that the same debug mode says my connection is in the 10 to 15 mbps range when on the netflix channel.
Roku Netflix Box Order No. 16** - Connected over WiFi getting 16-18 mbps per Netflix debug screen - Video via component video cable and audio via Toslink cable to 50" Plasma

paul2102

Thu May 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Loading, Please Wait. Constantly getting this message. Frequently locks up on the Loading Please Wait page. Tried watching archived Red Sox from a few days ago, The A's perfect game from the other day, and Yankees Live game today. Lots of LPW messages.

Quality is very good. Just gotta fix that "Loading Please Wait" message.

Other channels are working flawlessly.

Using Fios, 20mbps, ethernet connected.

lvporta

Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Tried to load KC feed just now....stream not available....refers to MLB.com/Roku which is of no help....you win Roku and MLB ...you got my money for the 2010 season....you will not get anymore....I am giving up and chalking this up as a loss....guess I will just have to watch on my pc and cable tv...hopefully I can sell my Roku on Ebay...just went to MLB on PC and KC feed is streaming wonderfully....Roku either cannot figure this out or MLB is giving them nothing to work with

MikeT98213

Thu May 13, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm new here but like many others I had enough. I requested that my subscription be canceled and my payment refunded and received confirmation from MLB that my request has been approved. Frankly, I can't see how they could deny any such request and I'd encourage anyone who has paid their $99 or $119 to do likewise.

If they ever get this stabilized and fixed, I can always re-subscribe but I've gotten my Extra Innings package back from DirecTV and can say that there is no substitute for watching in real high def. While I'll miss the flexibility of watching on TV, PC and iPod Touch, picture quality at home is the most important to me.

I'll continue to follow these posts and hope MLB and Roku can fix this, not just for MLB but for the possibility of other similar services that would make the Roku an even more attractive device.

Good luck.

DannyGlover

Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm

I am new Roku user but not a new MLB.TV user, as I have had it since it hit the market several years back. I will admit this year has been the worst, and MLB Advanced Media still continues to not admit any issues or bugs on their end.

So, today was the very time for me to use my Roku to watch MLB.TV. I have to say, I am impressed for day 1. It did not freeze, buffer, or anything for the few hours I watched.

I had on the Seattle vs. O's, and the Indians vs. Royals games. All with the home feed. My internet is usually around 10,000-15,000 kbps ( now a speed test on MLB's site always begs to differ, we all know they have server issues. :oops: ). And I was on wireless today.

Playback and quality, I would say was a B+. My Roku is the HD version, and hooked up via HDMI to my 42 inch LCD. It was very watchable, which I liked the most. Quality could improve a bit as it is not near Netflix HD quality.

Now, only time will tell on how it continues to perform.

DG

jdp

Thu May 13, 2010 7:37 pm

rbenjamin wrote:
Here is an interesting tool to specifically test the speed from your computer to the MLB.tv servers:

http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.html

I tested mine a few different times and all came back between 12,000 and 15,000 kbps, which is well beyond the 3,000 kbps they say is required for HD video.

It is odd that I get 12,000 to 15,000 kbps through this test (which somewhat jives with the results I get through speedtest.net), but my roku box debug mode insists my connection is never faster than 3.6 mbps when on the mlb.tv channel. It is also odd that the same debug mode says my connection is in the 10 to 15 mbps range when on the netflix channel.

I am seeing 4,000 - 11,000 kbps through that test. I haven't had the significant problems described here (occasional reloads) but it has yet to be unwatchable. Now most services are sold as up to XX kbps. I am wondering if in some cases the available bandwidth is dipping below the minimum required. I'll also say I've never had major problems with netflix through roku.

figaro

Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Thursday night
Mets/Marlins (live) Florida feed - caught last two innings of this game. Very good picture quality, no buffering, freezing or stuttering.

Rockies/Nats (live) Colorado feed - I've watched seven innings. Very good picture quality, no buffering, no freezing.

The best night of viewing in over a week. Of course it is Thursday and all the innings I watched were at a time when no other game was being played. Now i know I sound like a "Doubting Thomas" but I've gotten excited about a good night of viewing before only to have my hopes dashed the following day. Please Lord make this thing work, I promise to say my prayers before bed (make that before game time) and to listen to my parents (which will be easy since they're both dead).

JDanger

Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Got my brand new Roku in the mail, feeling awesome,
opened it up, plugged it in, watching some baseball, feeling awesome,
got a 'playback error', unplugged the Roku, got another 'playback error',
read the forums, feeling like i wasted a hundo, feeling not awesome.

mofoneman

Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 am

I attempted to watch the Giants-Padres game, not good, same as every other day. I mainly try to just watch the Giants game,
so when that goes bad, I just shut the Roku off and suffer watching it on my computer.

When I started the Giants-Padres gane it worked perfectly for about two innings, than I got.........Loading, Please Wait.
It never attempted to load, just sat there frozen, which of course means that I'll get a Playback Error should I attempt
to restart the game. So I have to reset the Roku by unplugging it, only to get a frozen screen .............retrieving, never
did load. I just shut the darn thing off............and headed for my computer.

Things are not getting better, in fact things are much worse than a week ago.

How can ROKU continue to show that MLB is available on the ROKU when it does not work? Have you no shame ROKU??

Anytime I use the ROKU to watch Netflix, or listen to Pandora there's a BIG Banner on the bottom of the screen announcing
that MLB IS NOW AVAILABLE ON THE ROKU...............How can you continue to take people's money knowing that your product
does not work? SHAME ON ROKU!

rbenjamin

Fri May 14, 2010 6:00 am

JDanger wrote:
Got my brand new Roku in the mail, feeling awesome,
opened it up, plugged it in, watching some baseball, feeling awesome,
got a 'playback error', unplugged the Roku, got another 'playback error',
read the forums, feeling like i wasted a hundo, feeling not awesome.

Hook up your netflix and then add some pandora. You will feel awesome again.
Roku Netflix Box Order No. 16** - Connected over WiFi getting 16-18 mbps per Netflix debug screen - Video via component video cable and audio via Toslink cable to 50" Plasma

cbruggeman

Fri May 14, 2010 12:20 pm

I have cable internet (5-15Mb) and a new Roku with the latest software release. The roku is connected directly to my router via cat5e at 100MB and directly to my 50inch plasma via HDMI. I am a week into my Roku and have watched Netflix without issues.

I have yet to get any game to work with MLB. I can select the game and it retrieves after a few minutes and then once the game begins I see a continuous loop of ten second clips of the game followed by 2 minutes the loading screen. MLB works flawlessly on my laptop via the same network configuration.

Is there any changes I can make on my roku to help this situation. I have tried switching my display modes but that didn't help.

MasterSushi

Fri May 14, 2010 12:24 pm

When the beta first started I wasn't having any trouble. The past week though has been rough. Rarely can I get a game to load. When I do, I get regular re-buffering, and then it will hang. And as Murphy's Law shows, it always acts up right in the middle of the action.

I have reverted to simply watching MLB.tv via my HTPC for now. It isn't as convenient, but it is working (minus the additional functions that are supposed to be there via NexDef, since I use Windows 7.).

Still hoping to see this get worked out.