Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lvporta

Re: MLB.TV Public Beta Feedback

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:15 pm

I have been watching a free preview of MLB Extra Innings through my local FIOS provider....it digital only and I must say that when you can actually watch the entire game on Roku, the PQ on Roku is better. The stream is only slightly behind the MLB EI telecast, but at least there are no such things as "loading, please wait interruptions.....if I hadn't spent so much money on MLB this season already this season, I would be tempted to buy the FIOS MLB package for the remainder of the season. However, I find the price of $139 very unreasonable.

jake441

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:34 pm

picture quality today on giants/mets SUCKS...worse than a video game...why so inconsistent?

Chris73

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but here's the question:

For the occasions when the team we follow is in a local blackout (ie. Red Sox fans in Texas shut out when they play the Rangers), what are the chances of MLB Gameday Audio being made into a subsequent channel for Roku? Maybe it could be a screen option on the "blackout notice" screen of that particular game. I missed the entire Rangers-Red Sox series because I don't have cable, and I thought that this would be a good idea.

chriscom

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Chris73 wrote:

For the occasions when the team we follow is in a local blackout (ie. Red Sox fans in Texas shut out when they play the Rangers), what are the chances of MLB Gameday Audio being made into a subsequent channel for Roku? Maybe it could be a screen option on the "blackout notice" screen of that particular game. I missed the entire Rangers-Red Sox series because I don't have cable, and I thought that this would be a good idea.

I love the idea... who knows how likely that is on Roku however; I would guess not likely at least this season. However, I don't think audio is blacked out in those cases on MLB.com, so that would be an option. Can anyone else verify that?

P.S. I am looking at Nats-Reds right now. Got a reload already in the second inning, but it resolved quickly and the image quality is above average, as good as it gets on Roku (near HD on slow or static images, fuzzed out a bit on quick motion)

marble31

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 am

chriscom wrote:
Chris73 wrote:

I love the idea... who knows how likely that is on Roku however; I would guess not likely at least this season. However, I don't think audio is blacked out in those cases on MLB.com, so that would be an option. Can anyone else verify that?

P.S. I am looking at Nats-Reds right now. Got a reload already in the second inning, but it resolved quickly and the image quality is above average, as good as it gets on Roku (near HD on slow or static images, fuzzed out a bit on quick motion)

No blackouts of radio on MLB. I would also like to have this suggested feature (optional radio accessability) on Roku

Mills

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:07 pm

My MLB.tv channel has been near perfect (maybe 1 or 2 quick reloading screens/game) for the past few weeks... but tonight and last night something new to me has been happening. About every 10-15 minutes, I get put into the time loop problem (same 10-15 seconds repeating over and over), but after exiting the game in order to get out of the time loop, when I try to go back into the game I get a message that reads "Getting Scoreboard". This message either takes 2-3 minutes to go away on its own, or it just stays on indefinitely until I have to go all the way back to the Home screen in order to get rid of it.

And then for some reason tonight while waiting for the Getting Scoreboard message to go away, my Roku just all of a sudden went into reboot mode on it's on.

BillyBoy

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Reliability of the mlb.tv channel on Roku has been hit and miss at best the entire 2010 season. It's disgraceful that in late July MLB and Roku are still incapable of delivering the product I paid for in March. Sometimes it works very well, but there has been no improvement in quality or reliability since late April. I'm sick and tired of "Locating media", "video stream temporarily unavailable", "getting scoreboard", "retrieving", "loading, please wait", "can't connect to the internet" (when other devices in the same room are working flawlessly with a strong signal), seeing the same 5 seconds of a broadcast repeated in an endless loop, suggestions to unplug and restart the unit, and all the other nonsense I get instead of baseball games. Reliability has not improved, it's only gotten worse as the season goes by. Roku and especially MLB should be ashamed. You've swindled me and insulted me by assuming that I'll just put up with it because I like baseball. I do like baseball, but not as much as I hate being cheated and taken for granted. I'll just keep my $120 next year. There isn't anything on TV, sports or otherwise, that makes it worth putting up with this.

figaro

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 pm

I agree with you BillyBoy. I will never recommend Roku/MLB to anyone.

glenns

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Have you asked the folks at MLB.TV for a refund?
Or if you used a charge card.. dispute the charge..

lvporta

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Bos/Sea stuck on retrieving...have tried both feeds. Anybody else having this problem?

domeboys

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Yes. Watched end of Was-Mil but when it ended, I can't get anything to work on MLB. Other Roku channels fine.

Hardly worth complaining anymore. No one gives a hoot. That remains clear.

lvporta

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:01 pm

its working now.....caused my Roku to reboot and when it started it up again, I went back to MLB and voila! now able to watch Bos/Sea

woodrow

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 am

Marlins-Braves game completely unwatchable today. Shocker!

lvporta

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:31 pm

woodrow wrote:
Marlins-Braves game completely unwatchable today. Shocker!

I don't know why you would be having problems......I have been watching the Fox Sports South feed and have had no problems at all

jr461

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:20 pm

BillyBoy wrote:
Reliability of the mlb.tv channel on Roku has been hit and miss at best the entire 2010 season. It's disgraceful that in late July MLB and Roku are still incapable of delivering the product I paid for in March. Sometimes it works very well, but there has been no improvement in quality or reliability since late April. I'm sick and tired of "Locating media", "video stream temporarily unavailable", "getting scoreboard", "retrieving", "loading, please wait", "can't connect to the internet" (when other devices in the same room are working flawlessly with a strong signal), seeing the same 5 seconds of a broadcast repeated in an endless loop, suggestions to unplug and restart the unit, and all the other nonsense I get instead of baseball games. Reliability has not improved, it's only gotten worse as the season goes by. Roku and especially MLB should be ashamed. You've swindled me and insulted me by assuming that I'll just put up with it because I like baseball. I do like baseball, but not as much as I hate being cheated and taken for granted. I'll just keep my $120 next year. There isn't anything on TV, sports or otherwise, that makes it worth putting up with this.

Agree 1000%. This is an absolute sham. Where are all the Roku people??
To not have a consistently functioning production (not one where some people get some games miraculously without and interruption and others are always interrupted) at the end of July is truly something they should be ashamed of.

While I like getting Netflix and Amozon on demand, I could have gone in a dozen other directions when I decided on the Roku. It was MLB that put me over the top. I love when my 12 yr old son comes in and sees me trying to watch a game on it and generally either within seconds something happens or the picture it just lousy, and he says, "you're watching that again....it sucks!!". Sums it up perfectly.

Will have to see what I do next year but MLB.com doesn't seem like a viable option. It was my first time trying it and just a bad experience. Too bad...this could have been a big hit considering the relatively inexpensive cost of the hardware.