Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

domeboys

Re: MLB.TV Public Beta Feedback

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:51 pm

jfvmets, read the previous 128 pages, mostly with concerns, to get a feel for how MLB.TV and ROKU has performed for many of us.

Probably few are watching now, but Friday night performance was bad. Lots of freezes, but it is even worse here on Saturday afternoon. Trying to watch Cards-Rockies and have lost count of number of freezes, recycles, etc. Locked up twice which required power on resets. During the ninth, the telecast jumped back to the fourth inning!

I will definitely be looking at alternatives for 2011. ROKU is fine for other channels but has been a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT for MLB.TV.

devil.punchbowl
Location: way way northern California coast - hidden behind the redwood curtain

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:36 pm

If you install the new Playon roku private channel. MLB is on Playon along with NHL. The NHL side works just fine. So this would be a second avenue to use MLB on roku. Though you will need to run Playon on a PC running on the same network as roku. Though you can use other devices besides a PC such as some gaming cosoles. either way your roku remote will still be the controller. Check Playon for details, specs needed, etc. NHL archives works fine. Regular season has not started yet, but based on the other Playon channels working fine for me I would expect live NHL games next week to work just fine via Playon/roku. Might want to give that a try for MLB maybe it will work better then the official roku MLB channel.

M_Six

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 pm

The Red Sox/Yankees game tonight is choppy and at one point reloaded 5 or 6 times in the span of a minute. Now, after I've watched the first inning already the game just restarted from the beginning. I must be 30 minutes behind real time now. What a crock. I backed out to the channel screen and went back in and was able to get back to near live. But I missed a bunch of an inning. I've had similar issues with MLB.TV on both the Roku and on the PC. Not sure who's to blame there. My network speed tests show a download speed of 6+Mbps almost all the time.

If I had any other choice to catch the Red Sox, I'd dump MLB.TV like a bad habit. I've been with them for 3 seasons now and they really haven't gotten better. In fact, they regressed in a few areas.

M_Six

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Now I have video that is a good 20 seconds behind the audio feed. This is pathetic. Now here come the non-stop reloads. And now I'm back to the 1st inning. WTF???

Here's some feedback: FAIL!!!!
Last edited by M_Six on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M_Six

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:09 pm

After my Roku box restarted for the third time tonight, I gave up and went to MLB.TV on my laptop. That feed is spotty, but nowhere near as bad as watching it on the Roku. Roku works fine for Netflix, but it's awful with MLB.TV. I hope it gets fixed over the winter because I bought the Roku specifically to watch MLB.TV.

wpbear

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:25 pm

devil.punchbowl wrote:
If you install the new Playon roku private channel. MLB is on Playon along with NHL. The NHL side works just fine. So this would be a second avenue to use MLB on roku. Though you will need to run Playon on a PC running on the same network as roku. Though you can use other devices besides a PC such as some gaming cosoles. either way your roku remote will still be the controller. Check Playon for details, specs needed, etc. NHL archives works fine. Regular season has not started yet, but based on the other Playon channels working fine for me I would expect live NHL games next week to work just fine via Playon/roku. Might want to give that a try for MLB maybe it will work better then the official roku MLB channel.

Yep, one day till end of season and I am having the same exact problems tonight. Some nights good, some bad. This is a roku software issue tonight since my box froze and needed reboots. Other times it is the stream and will reload.

Anyway my PS3 even if it has a stream issue will reload twice as quick and it never crashes like the roku. Also when at its peak performance the roku has slightly less pic qual than the PS3.

I am looking for a another device for a new home theater and sadly as much as I try to make myself like roku, I cant do it. The price being $99 instead of PS3 $299 is the only thing the roku does better. Roku equals sub par performance and lack of features (like missing DLNA).

bulldog197

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I couldn't agree more. I bought this for my pops. I was visiting the last weekend of the baseball season and wanted to take in some A's games. Friday night was perfect, love the Roku! But Saturday night was right back in the toilet. NO IMPROVEMENT from early in the season. As an early adopter, I figured there would be some difficult moments. But freeze ups, drop outs to previous innings or the very beginning took the enjoyment right out of the game. I am posting this to vent, but also to forewarn possible Roku buyers next year. Don't buy Roku for MLB.TV. Research PS3, WII or boxee, but the price on the Roku doesn't justify the crappy, seemingly non-existent customer support. Caveat emptor. I am considering getting a different box for the 2011 season despite already owning a Roku. POS!

woodrow

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:14 am

Well, last game of the regular season and I'm forced to rely on this POS for today's huge Braves and Padres games. Can't wait to see what kind of horrible performance I get from the ol' roku today. I need to start meditating right now to try to counter-act the inevitable spike in blood pressure when I get the first of many "video playback" errors. SERENITY NOW.

jstraw

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Last day of the season and it's absolute garbage today. Thank you for the 2010 comedy of errors MLB,tv *AND* Roku. Switching from Dish to DirectTV when my contract is up and getting Extra Innings next season. Can't recommend this farce to anyone that asks.

woodrow

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:28 pm

As predicted, roku is pretty worthless today. Gave up and turned to the laptop in the 2nd inning of Braves-Phillies game. Even if you can get past the constant reloading and buffering and all the other random glitches (e.g., when the game went to the 6th inning, after the commercial break the roku randomly came back in the 4th inning -- WTF?), the game is at least a batter or 2 behind the actual action.

Again, everyone involved should be embarrassed. Pathetic. Very pathetic. This entire ordeal has exemplified how not to handle customer service. I will never recommend roku to anyone. I sincerely hope that anyone in the future who googles "roku mlb" or "roku mlb.tv" will find this thread and be warned. Do not rely on roku/mlb.tv. You will regret it. Go with the Extra Innings package.

wpbear

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:33 pm

woodrow wrote:
As predicted, roku is pretty worthless today. Gave up and turned to the laptop in the 2nd inning of Braves-Phillies game. Even if you can get past the constant reloading and buffering and all the other random glitches (e.g., when the game went to the 6th inning, after the commercial break the roku randomly came back in the 4th inning -- WTF?), the game is at least a batter or 2 behind the actual action.

Are you watching the Rays, same thing happened to me. Anyway blame roku since I have been trouble free with the PS3 99% of the time while the roku is about 50% problems.

chriscom

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Most of the time in the last part of the season I've been following the Bosox on XM radio, but for old time's sake I tried watching the last game of the season on Roku today. Same stuttering nonsense. But a tip of the hat to Roku/MLB for providing a brand-new fail, this time going from a reload in the ninth inning to re-starting the game in the top of the first.

I was a guest teacher in a class for aspiring PR professionals at a local university the other night, and, with this forum as a guide, used Roku/MLB as an example of customer service and brand-defense ineptitude.

Congrats to all those teams who made it to the playoffs, and best wishes to all in those in the forum.

paul2102

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:42 pm

MLB TV has been nothing short of failure the whole season. The past few days, trying to watch Rays - KC. "Please wait" messages, freezes, a complete mess. At times during the 5th or 6th inning, it would bounce all the way back to the 2nd or 3rd inning. We should get some kind of refund, discount for next season (if it's fixed by then), or credit.
I know the problem is probably with MLB, and they don't care about anything but their home team blackouts and the $$$. At times, I wondered if it's done purposely to try to get more people to stay with Cable or Satellite TV for baseball. I hope Roku does something for our patients during the past 6 months.

RoadRanger

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Hey, as long as we're have a best channel contest can the MLB channel get a prize for "longest complaint thread"?

:shock:
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database

jstraw

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Can it be true that no Roku employee has posted in this thread since July 29?