Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
CBMC
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:11 pm

I have a Roku HD box and a Westinghouse LTV-32W1 tv. I can't get the video to output correctly on the tv. (Only using the digital video via hdmi, using analog for the audio) It is a bunch of random jibberish on the screen. I have tried power cycling everything. I don't think that this is a handshake issue, but some sort of a encryption type issue. The tv has a DVI (HDCP) connection. I am using a Hdmi to DVI cable to hook the Roku to the TV. I know that the tv input is working correctly, as it works for both my XBOX and my Att Uverse Box. Also, the tv should display 720p fine, but it not with the Roku? Any help/suggestions.
 
vmps
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:48 am

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:47 am

CBMC wrote:
I have a Roku HD box and a Westinghouse LTV-32W1 tv. I can't get the video to output correctly on the tv. (Only using the digital video via hdmi, using analog for the audio) It is a bunch of random jibberish on the screen. I have tried power cycling everything. I don't think that this is a handshake issue, but some sort of a encryption type issue. The tv has a DVI (HDCP) connection. I am using a Hdmi to DVI cable to hook the Roku to the TV. I know that the tv input is working correctly, as it works for both my XBOX and my Att Uverse Box. Also, the tv should display 720p fine, but it not with the Roku? Any help/suggestions.

Do you have component inputs you can use?
 
CBMC
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 am

Yes, but the component picture quality is awful. The picture is extremely washed out. Nothing really fixes it. The input is like this with all sources (tv, dtv, dvd), so this is not a fault of roku, but rather a cheap tv. Roku does work thru the component inputs though. I got the tv cheap almost 4 years ago, definitely not the best tv, but like I said, it was cheap. Any idea on why it won't connect to the roku correctly?
Last edited by CBMC on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 am

CBMC wrote:
Yes, but the suck. The picture is extremely washed out. Nothing really fixes it. I got the tv cheap almost 4 years ago, definitely not the best tv, but like I said, it was cheap. Any idea on why it won't connect to the roku correctly?


I think if you search back through the forum, there were previous users of Westinghouse TV's that had HDMI issues as well. I don't recall them ever getting it worked out, but if there are firmware updates for your TV, that would be a place to start.
 
CBMC
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am

philsoft wrote:

I think if you search back through the forum, there were previous users of Westinghouse TV's that had HDMI issues as well. I don't recall them ever getting it worked out, but if there are firmware updates for your TV, that would be a place to start.


Kind of checked into that, I think the only place to put firmware updates on my tv is thru a serial port, (it says in the manual for "factory" use). Therefore, I don't think that westinghouse has released any updates to the public for this tv.
 
vmps
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:48 am

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:15 am

CBMC wrote:
Yes, but the component picture quality is awful. The picture is extremely washed out. Nothing really fixes it. The input is like this with all sources (tv, dtv, dvd), so this is not a fault of roku, but rather a cheap tv. Roku does work thru the component inputs though.

Are you talking component or composite? (Just clarifying; component has red blue and green connectors, no audio & composite is usually yellow with red & white audio attached.)

I got the tv cheap almost 4 years ago, definitely not the best tv, but like I said, it was cheap. Any idea on why it won't connect to the roku correctly?

HDCP requires a complicated handshake between the TV & the source in order to establish an encrypted session so evil people don't steal movies. This does nothing to stop evil people from stealing movies, but does make life harder for consumers. It is complicated enough to get right that various devices sometimes just can't communicate with each other even if they each work fine with other devices.
 
CBMC
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:25 pm

vmps wrote:
Are you talking component or composite?

Yes, component, not composite. Don't know why the picture is so washed out via component.

vmps wrote:
HDCP requires a complicated handshake between the TV & the source in order to establish an encrypted session so evil people don't steal movies. This does nothing to stop evil people from stealing movies, but does make life harder for consumers. It is complicated enough to get right that various devices sometimes just can't communicate with each other even if they each work fine with other devices.


Got to believe that it is some sort of a HDCP encryption problem. I am not gettting the green screen though, like I said it looks like a encrypted signal, it changes, but it is just a bunch of lines and colors all stretched every way. Thanks for the info.
 
jcmolet
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 pm

CBMC wrote:
I have a Roku HD box and a Westinghouse LTV-32W1 tv. I can't get the video to output correctly on the tv. (Only using the digital video via hdmi, using analog for the audio) It is a bunch of random jibberish on the screen. I have tried power cycling everything. I don't think that this is a handshake issue, but some sort of a encryption type issue. The tv has a DVI (HDCP) connection. I am using a Hdmi to DVI cable to hook the Roku to the TV. I know that the tv input is working correctly, as it works for both my XBOX and my Att Uverse Box. Also, the tv should display 720p fine, but it not with the Roku? Any help/suggestions.


Although DVI and HDMI are compatible, my understanding is that signal loss does occur, primarily affecting black levels. And this, from the AVSForums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=874755
 
CBMC
Topic Author
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Sat May 01, 2010 10:54 am

jcmolet wrote:

Although DVI and HDMI are compatible, my understanding is that signal loss does occur, primarily affecting black levels. And this, from the AVSForums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=874755


I could live with less deep black levels, what I am dealing with is a scrambled picture. It works with all my hdmi devices except my Roku.
 
jcmolet
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Sat May 01, 2010 11:38 am

CBMC wrote:
jcmolet wrote:

Although DVI and HDMI are compatible, my understanding is that signal loss does occur, primarily affecting black levels. And this, from the AVSForums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=874755


I could live with less deep black levels, what I am dealing with is a scrambled picture. It works with all my hdmi devices except my Roku.


You might try a different DVI - HDMI cable.
 
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4320
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm
Location: Midland, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Sat May 01, 2010 12:14 pm

The following thread is worth checking out too.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27112&p=169758&hilit=dvi#p169758

I realize this thread is about audio, but that setting on the TV could still be worth looking at.
 
cami62
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:08 pm

i called westinghouse. they said that their tv is not compatable with the hdmi on the roku. i took my tv back. costco had a 90 day return policy. the roku worked fine on my old sony so i am going to just get another sony at this point. roku said that it does not work on hdmi on older tv sets because of some copy protect thing. but the westinghouse was brand new. dont trust any westinghouse tv.
If you continue to see only a blue or green screen, your TV or receiver may not support HDCP (a copy-protect method) over HDMI. This is generally true for older TV models that have early HDMI implementations that do not follow current standards. Try connecting your player with another cable, such as a component cable.
(yeh but the component cable makes the roku look and sound like crap)
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

cami62 wrote:
Try connecting your player with another cable, such as a component cable.
(yeh but the component cable makes the roku look and sound like crap)

I disagree. Many, including myself, have done side by side HDMI/component comparisons and see little if any difference.
The disadvantage is that the Roku will only play 1080p content, when eventually any is available, over HDMI.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
stitzinger
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 am

It's been a while since the last post but I thought I would share this about a different model Westinghouse.

Roku 2 XS works into the one 1080P (DVI2) port on the Westinghouse LVM-37W1 but it only fills the screen vertically and not horizontally (Pillar Box).
 
User avatar
knuckle
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4689
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Florida,USA

Re: Westinghouse LTV-32W1 HDMI problems

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi CBMC-----------

I believe that your tv only does 1080i .... have you tried changing you screen setting to 16:9 on the roku?

( good catch in that one kc8pql )

good luck
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests