Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

-LD

Re: New Netflix

Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

KennyJ wrote:
My problem with your comments is that they seem to be almost universally negative and critical and not usually very constructive. Maybe I'm misreading you.

I don't think you are misreading my comments about the choice of advertising. I was being very critical because it's a blatant and silly ripoff. Constructive is relative. They could take it for what it is and realize it really is just a "me too" campaign and come up with something original. Or they could take it as mean-spirited and critical.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 pm

cwniles wrote:
well philsoft, try as I might, I can't help but laugh........Sometimes you do your best to convince me to ignore you but every once in a while, you mine a real gem lmfao :)

Well see dub
I am on the forum that is maintained by ROKU, so anyone that has nasty things to say about Roku is being contrary, and anyone that calls them out for it is not, see?

philsoft

Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm

-LD wrote:
philsoft wrote:
OK, you want me to respond to that? It is called advertising, and advertisers and marketers have been spitting out this kind of stuff for as long as I can remember (all the way back to the days of Slo-Poke and Milk Dud ads). What makes this any different?

Apparently if I drink Budweiser I will be surrounded by 25 year old hardbodies in bikinis. Pepsi is "THE" Real Thing. Going to McDonalds gives me a break. True Champions eat Wheaties for breakfast. M&M's are incapable of melting in your hand. I can lick my watch and it will continue to function. Smucker Jam is guaranteed to be good based solely on it's name. A Caveman would have no problem signing up for Geico insurance. There is nothing on the planet that will outlast an Energizer battery. Even if you want your hamburger to have a T-Bone on it burger King let's you have it "Your Way". What is it about Camel cigarettes that makes people walk a mile just to get one?

Want more? This is what advertising IS.

Ok, what's your point? I suggested they get a real marketing department, to, you know, market. Instead they just regurgitated Apple's marketing campaign. I didn't take offense to "magical" as a marketing term. Rather, it's the copying of another company's campaign, first of all. Second, it's not "magical" if it doesn't offer anything new. For something to be advertised as magical I would expect it to be significantly innovative to deserve such language. Searching Netflix from the 10 ft interface is neither innovative nor new. Or do you disagree?

The point is, that IMO Apple's stuff isn't "Magical" either. Advertising takes massive liberties with wording ALL the time, and did Apple steal "magical" from Lucky Charms? Maybe, but it doesn't matter, it is still marketing hype either way.

Crow550

Thu May 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Make your own Roku ad & put it on YouTube if you think you can do better? :P

I'd say use the Knight Rider theme. LOL.

rmilner

Thu May 06, 2010 4:15 pm

I wish Roku would throw that jerk LD off. He adds nothing constructive to this board and is nothing but a troll.

-LD

Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 pm

rmilner wrote:
I wish Roku would throw that jerk LD off. He adds nothing constructive to this board and is nothing but a troll.

Heh. Talking around people is fun.

I've added plenty constructive and informative things. You just probably have never read them. And people can't disagree on things?

kc8pql

Thu May 06, 2010 4:45 pm

rmilner wrote:
He adds nothing constructive to this board

Actually, he has and he does. Besides, if we threw off all the trolls we'd have to get rid of at least half of all the new members since April 20th. :shock:
Last edited by kc8pql on Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwniles

Thu May 06, 2010 4:46 pm

-LD wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
My problem with your comments is that they seem to be almost universally negative and critical and not usually very constructive. Maybe I'm misreading you.

I don't think you are misreading my comments about the choice of advertising. I was being very critical because it's a blatant and silly ripoff. Constructive is relative. They could take it for what it is and realize it really is just a "me too" campaign and come up with something original. Or they could take it as mean-spirited and critical.

To be honest, when I saw the word "magical", my first reaction was that they could have used a better word. Magical implies something paranormal, mysterious, miraculous etc or in some instances emotionally moving......I know it can be used in other situations but in advertising, you want to choose your words so that they initially impact with full force and like I said, instead of absorbing the content of the ad, I was distracted by the use of the word magical.....

of course I didn't feel the need to go post about about it but regardless, poorly phrased or not, you do make a valid point LD. Perhaps it is just the antagonistic tone pervading your comments that generates such a poor reception of said comments.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

jeffrok

Thu May 06, 2010 7:46 pm

-LD wrote:
Did they just call it the "magical" new Netflix channel? First, what a poor, pathetic rip-off of Apple's marketing. Second, what's magical about it? Is it that it's finally starting to catch up to other devices that have had similar functionality for months? Is that the magic?

Come on, Roku, hire a real marketing group!

True- Apple's marketing was bad enough to begin with, and then someone else stole it.. It IS pretty silly! :P
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Losan

Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Will we get 5.1 sound and subtitles with this Netflix update?

Village Idiot

Fri May 07, 2010 5:11 am

I couldn't care less about the marketing or Apple.
I care only about Roku.
Will the change be better ? You Bet !!!
Search right at the tv instead of running back to the puter.
Great idea nice to see it happening.
Apple who ??

darium

Fri May 07, 2010 6:52 am

Village Idiot wrote:
Apple who ??

Come on VI, you know Apple...
They are the people that slap a $5 stick of lipstick on a pig and convince the lemmings out there that it is innovative and worth the $200 they added to the price.

KennyJ

Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 am

darium wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
Apple who ??

They are the people that slap a $5 stick of lipstick on a pig and convince the lemmings out there that it is innovative and worth the $200 they added to the price.

Come on.. that's not fair. . . It's at least a $10 lipstick.

philsoft

Fri May 07, 2010 9:09 am

KennyJ wrote:
darium wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
Apple who ??

Come on.. that's not fair. . . It's at least a $10 lipstick.

Yes, but it requires a $10 proprietary attachment to enable full functionality. :)

Village Idiot

Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 am

Yeah and then they'll lose in a bar and blame whoever finds it.