Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

danstl
Topic Author

Google TV - Fall 2010...

Thu May 20, 2010 11:43 am

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/201 ... s-fall.ars

this could be interesting - Flash 10.1 - sounds like it works with Hulu, Fox, and other sites... Netflix and Amazon already have Apps...

-Dan
Model: 2050X - wired
S/N: J0A07F000104
ISP: At&t 12Mb (primary) -- Charter 20Mb (secondary)

MasterSushi

Re: Google TV - Fall 2010...

Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am

I wonder if Hulu will block it. They have blocked every other attempt at bringing Hulu content to the television.

danstl
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 am

I dont think they will because it is a FULL web browser - meaning advertising and everything.
Model: 2050X - wired
S/N: J0A07F000104
ISP: At&t 12Mb (primary) -- Charter 20Mb (secondary)

MasterSushi

Thu May 20, 2010 12:01 pm

Hulu blocked the Kylo browser since its intended purpose was to watch web video on a TV. Kylo is just Firefox with a different GUI, no ad blockingI. (You can change the user agent string and continue to use Kylo to watch Hulu videos.)

jcmolet

Thu May 20, 2010 12:52 pm

A platform built into a television or Blu-ray player that allows you to seach and watch television and Internet content sounds intriguing. However, I guess we won't know how GoogleTV will actually impact devices like the Roku DVP until we see the actual implementation (audio/video quality, input mechanisms, GUI, etc.)

Edit: It looks like there will also be a set top box from Logitech. The early indication is GoogleTV could be a monster.
Last edited by jcmolet on Thu May 20, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

servo

Thu May 20, 2010 3:36 pm

What's cool is that it looks like it will have full market access! Woot

ffffffrabbit

Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm

Roku will survive if there is more content than just Podcasts (which are free anyway). Roku can make a huge difference with a browser or network specific (NBC, CBS, Fox, Comedy Central, and/or ABC channels) but there hasn't been any movement in that direction. Pulling more content from the lessor mainstream sports will only fill the need of small niche in society.

I am soon expecting an agreement with USCA (US Cricket Association) or US Badminton Association. Although I am huge fan of Cricket, I suspect that most US citizens are not . . . and with MLB.TV on the Roku still having blockouts doesn't give a reason for any Baseball fan to hook up with Roku.

If Roku can't move towards an Network content . . . then at least produce a browser that will show Hulu, TV.com or Comedy Central.

Just thinking & Ranting
ffffffrabbit

follow the white rabbit

KennyJ

Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm

1) I don't think it's Roku's choice to add network content. They may be able to skate around that with some network content getting converted to Roku-compatible formats. . . But if the networks don't want it on the Roku, they may attempt to block it.

2) I don't think the current hardware could support a browser that would be capable of watching flash 10.x content. I'm pretty sure Roku will introduce a new model at some point though.

mega1026

Thu May 20, 2010 7:40 pm

i think getting a UFC channel is a step in the right direction, the bigger names they get, the more bigger names will be attracted to it

techn0lizard

Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 am

Google TV looks as inventive as Google Telephone. They're turning out to be the guys that invent new stuff by putting a digital clock on old stuff. :roll:
Very funny Scotty now beam down my pants!!!!

ffffffrabbit

Fri May 21, 2010 7:35 am

Google TV is basically a box with a browser with current flash support. Which failed on the Wii & Boxee box -- and isn't an option for Roku. Simple solution - heck even most smart phones have some way of getting flash (jailbreak iPhone or 3rd party apps).

Nothing seems to beat my laptop hooked to my projector.
ffffffrabbit

follow the white rabbit

KennyJ

Fri May 21, 2010 7:39 am

ffffffrabbit wrote:
Google TV is basically a box with a browser with current flash support. Which failed on the Wii & Boxee box -- and isn't an option for Roku. Simple solution - heck even most smart phones have some way of getting flash (jailbreak iPhone or 3rd party apps).

Nothing seems to beat my laptop hooked to my projector.

Boxee Box hasn't even launched yet, so not sure how it failed. I'm also not sure how the Wii browser failed either -- though when I owned a Wii it only supported an old version of Flash.

The Google Box looks to be MORE than just a browser in a box (just like Boxee is more than just a browser in a box).

kelly.j.anderson

Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 am

The Google TV platform is built on top of Android, giving Google TV platform devices full access to the Android market place. Yes it can browse the web but also has access to over 50,000 apps. There will come apps that are made specifically for the Google TV Platform, and from that you will see the NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB, HBO, SHOWTIME, etc... networks making their own apps for the platform. Beyond that there are games which Android already supports all of the APIs for making compelling games, controllers will be created for it since you can develop and register devices with the platform. These examples are just the obvious things, once you have a rich open platform connected to a Television with and open marketplace, who knows what unknown things people will come up with. Assuming that the set top boxes come any where near the Roku price point the only way I can see the Roku player competing is by making and Android based Google TV device.

dellsweig

Fri May 21, 2010 8:56 am

kelly.j.anderson wrote:
The Google TV platform is built on top of Android, giving Google TV platform devices full access to the Android market place. Yes it can brows the web but also has access to over 50,000 apps. There will come apps that are made specifically for the Google TV Platform, and from that you will see the NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, WB, HBO, SHOWTIME, etc... networks making their own apps for the platform. Beyond that there are games which Android already supports all of the APIs for making compelling games, controllers will be created for it since you can develop and register devices with the platform. These examples are just the obvious things, once you have a rich open platform connected to a Television with and open marketplace, who know what unknown things people will come up with. Assuming that the set top boxes come any where near the Roku price point the only way I can see the Roku player competing is by making and Android based Google TV device.

AND as I have been saying - there is a MIPS port of android available for FREE which will work just fine on the Roku hardware. We need a hardware/software type out there with a JTAG to get a Roku up and running with Android - out of my JTAG knowledge (I just restore routers with my JTAG).
Going where the wind don't blow so strange

ffffffrabbit

Fri May 21, 2010 9:10 am

[quote]there is a MIPS port of android available for FREE which will work just fine on the Roku hardware.[/quote]

Where?
ffffffrabbit

follow the white rabbit