Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuTom

Post Feedback on New Netflix Interface Here

Fri May 28, 2010 3:37 pm

FROM ROKU

Dear Roku customers,

Please use this forum thread to provide your feedback on and report any issues with the new Netflix on Roku interface.

Also, if you have suggestions for new features for Netflix or for Roku in general, you can send them to user-feedback@roku.com.

Thank you,
Tom Markworth
DIrector of Product Management
(on behalf of the Roku team)

RickD_99

Re: Post Feedback on New Netflix Interface Here

Fri May 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Just downloaded the new interface manually and all went well. I like the overall look and functionality of the new interface with one exception: search needs to have as an option search by actor or director. The netflix web site allows this (as does Vudu) and having this functionality would help Roku gain more of an equal footing with Vudu.

daz1138

Fri May 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Still trying to get the update. Roku box keeps telling me My Software is Up To Date.
Roku2 XS S/N: 13A16D000341
Audio: Yamaha RX-V567 via HDMI
Video: Westinghouse SK-32h520s via HDMI
Network: Wireless N
Router: Netgear WNDR3400 v2
TimeZone: Mountain

robertm

Fri May 28, 2010 3:52 pm

I will just repost my comments from the other thread:

robertm wrote:
Unless I am missing something major this is a MAJOR letdown. I wanted better queue management and if anything this is worse because there are less titles per screen. I NEVER cared about adding content on the fly and that is the big enhancement.

I know with some simple filters the genres could have been broken up. You would go into the channel. Select Comedy, Action, TV, All, etc. and then look at your queued items in smaller subsets. I still have to scroll my entire queue!?! REALLY? I thought the color scheme of the messageboard was bad now I find out I have been anxiously awaiting the same lousy interface.

Yeah the information balloon is nice. Queue management would have been nicer.

Be nice if anyone ever paid attention to us.

AND:

robertm wrote:
The good news is that you can turn that ridiculous search feature off under the new "netflix settings" on the settings tab so it doesn't have to slow everything down.

On my third box it got to about 27 percent and restarted. It crashed. I unplugged it. It stayed at 2.5. I did another manual check it then downloaded successfully, restarted and is working fine.

CODE RGB

Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm

having some MAJOR problems right now, i did the update, i got in to the new interface everything worked fine! i exit out to listen to some music, then i tried to go back in to the netflix channel and it's not letting me enter at all as if the channel is not even there. any suggestions?

twowheelchopper

Fri May 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Looks great! I like being able to browse by categories just like the Wii. Great job!

TaylorH

Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 pm

daz1138 wrote:
Still trying to get the update. Roku box keeps telling me My Software is Up To Date.
That was my fault.
We had some beta pools still set to the 2.5 release. This was preventing you from upgrading. I believe all of those now set to the new 2.6 update.

If you never took part in a beta and/or still have trouble upgrading. Send me a PM with your serial number and I'll look in to it.
I'm the release engineer handling those details.
Former Roku employee

TaylorH

Fri May 28, 2010 4:23 pm

CODE RGB wrote:
having some MAJOR problems right now, i did the update, i got in to the new interface everything worked fine! i exit out to listen to some music, then i tried to go back in to the netflix channel and it's not letting me enter at all as if the channel is not even there. any suggestions?
It sounds like your lost a network connection and the box hasn't properly identified and prompted you of this.
There are certain conditions where you can lose wireless networking and he box isn't really aware. This is something we'll try to improve.

Try going in to settings>network>repeat guided setup and make sure the network is established and try again. Of course try power cycling if you still have problems.

If you continue to have these problems. Send me a PM with your serial number and I'll try to investigate from the server logs.
Former Roku employee

daz1138

Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Got the update.

It looks great. Netflix load pretty quickly and the browse feature is fantastic. Will post more once I get the chance to really play with it.
Roku2 XS S/N: 13A16D000341
Audio: Yamaha RX-V567 via HDMI
Video: Westinghouse SK-32h520s via HDMI
Network: Wireless N
Router: Netgear WNDR3400 v2
TimeZone: Mountain

vmps

Fri May 28, 2010 4:32 pm

upgrade went fine. like the clock. disappointed that the queue management hasn't improved.

CapeFear

Fri May 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Not Working....

Got the upgrade, everything worked fine, went to load a movie then it ask if I am a Netflix Customer???

Click YES then it gives me a code

Go to Netflix click on activate device, enter the code, wait a few seconds, the roku says "Congradulations"

Click [Start]

Get the new interface, my queue is there, everything looks good.

Click on a movie, click [play] "Are you a member of Netflix?" again

Click [Yes] ... get another code

What is going on???? What now?

robertm

Fri May 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Kids can now inappropriate material with just a few clicks of the remote. There's a good idea. Several parents have requested better queue management to safeguard their children and yet have titles they might want to watch. Since the seach feature for netflix can be turned on and off by anyone now parents have even less protection than they did.

bozzy

Fri May 28, 2010 4:45 pm

robertm wrote:
Kids can now inappropriate material with just a few clicks of the remote. There's a good idea. Several parents have requested better queue management to safeguard their children and yet have titles they might want to watch. Since the seach feature for netflix can be turned on and off by anyone now parents have even less protection than they did.

You can disable browse and search in the Netflix settings.

bozzy

Fri May 28, 2010 4:46 pm

One thing I don't like about the search is it takes up a whole row even if there is no active search. I would rather the first "title" in the Queue be the "search" box that triggers a search. Then a search would create a new row between the browse content and queue. Otherwise, it seems like wasted space 99% of the time and makes it harder to browse content which I think would be done more often.

CODE RGB

Fri May 28, 2010 4:56 pm

RokuTaylor wrote:
CODE RGB wrote:
It sounds like your lost a network connection and the box hasn't properly identified and prompted you of this.
There are certain conditions where you can lose wireless networking and he box isn't really aware. This is something we'll try to improve.

Try going in to settings>network>repeat guided setup and make sure the network is established and try again. Of course try power cycling if you still have problems.

If you continue to have these problems. Send me a PM with your serial number and I'll try to investigate from the server logs.

Thanks! i rebooted the box and now it is back. see the problem is is that whenever I'm not using the channel i usually remove it from my list of channels so that way no one can use it when I'm not here because i have a pin code set to add channels. and when i gave that a try and re added the netflix channel it added it but wouldn't let me enter the channel.