Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RoadRanger

Re: Time & Weather screensaver

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:45 pm

aleelee wrote:
Thanks for a great screensaver! An unfortunate side effect seems to be that our downstairs tv is never turned off now! :D
Yah, I have the same problem with my upstairs TV :) . Great job on the changes BTW :mrgreen: !
Roku Digital Video Player links:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/links
Private Channel Database:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RokuDigitalVideoPlayer/database

renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks for all the compliments. I appreciate it.

I would be embarrassed to admit how much time I've spent staring at the screensaver. :oops: :D

-JT

glenns

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:50 am

The timestamp saves the day....A great trouble shooting tool..

When I flipped on the TV this morning, the screensaver timestamp was 2:05 am EDT.....I thought that was odd....
After going to the Roku setting screen to check my singal...the Roku box was unable to connect to the internet..

Bottom line...Overnight storms knocked out my internet.... Once it was restored...the screensaver started updatng again... Just like a Timex watch !!!

renojim
Topic Author

Wind update

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:25 pm

In what will probably be the last update, I added the current wind information. To make space on the settings screen I took out the ability to disable the clock display since I doubt anyone would want to do that anyway. The wind display is disabled by default, so go into the custom setting->information options if you want to enable it.

-JT

pjoshua5000

Re: Wind update

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:30 pm

renojim wrote:
In what will probably be the last update, I added the current wind information. To make space on the settings screen I took out the ability to disable the clock display since I doubt anyone would want to do that anyway. The wind display is disabled by default, so go into the custom setting->information options if you want to enable it.

-JT

In the time stamp, can you add the city where the data is coming from. My zip is 85132 (Florence), and on other weather services they got data from Casa Grande with is over 40 miles away.

Thanks.

renojim
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:52 am

I'm not sure how much good that would do since there's no way to know where exactly the information is coming from. I can tell you that it says that your information is coming from Florence, but it may just be doing some kind of city look-up on the ZIP code. Generally, weather info comes from the closest airport with automated weather reporting capability.

-JT

hykurt

Re: Wind update

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:43 am

renojim wrote:
In what will probably be the last update, I added the current wind information.
For the best. With so much information, the animation (bouncing movement) starts to get jerky if all of the options are enabled! Your efforts are much appreciated; the screen saver's a big hit around the house. Thank you.

renojim
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 am

I've kind of been worried about that since the start. You must have an HDTV. It looks ok on my SDTV, but everything has to be enlarged for HDTV, so that may have something to do with it. It doesn't help that the latest firmware is significantly slower than the previous firmware for animation. Hopefully they'll tweak it some so that more exciting animations are possible in the future.

Oh, and thanks for the thanks!

-JT

hykurt

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:52 pm

renojim wrote:
You must have an HDTV.
Correct. My SDTV-connected unit animates very nicely.
[...]Oh, and thanks for the thanks!
You're welcome!

renojim
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:56 am

I set my box to HD mode even though it's connected to my SD TV and I'm really disappointed in the choppiness. I don't think there's anything I can do about it, but I will look into it. It's disappointing because I know older firmware worked better in this regard.

-JT

baybum

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Hello Jim, About 3 days ago, my CLOC stopped showing temp, humidity and pressure.
The only thing it shows is time, wind speed and the timestamp.

I first started using CLOC about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine, up until about 3 days ago.
I tried changing my zip code, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, great product...keep up the good work.

Mike

vaxace

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Jim,

I installed CLOC this past weekend and have been unable to get anything but time, wind speed, and the time stamp since the install.
Any idea what's going on?
I'm in zip 92705 if that's of any (unlikely) help.

D.

renojim
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:16 pm

vaxace, sorry about that. You can read the full discussion in this thread, but the short explanation is that the data format changed and I can't update the screensaver until the contest is over. In the meantime, install this private channel until I update the public one. Change your screen saver to LED Time & Weather (p) and enter your ZIP code and other settings again.

Sorry for the trouble,
-JT

vaxace

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the info.
I've been a developer for 30+ years.
Not the first time I've seen data formats change without reasonable warning.
It's always bloody inconvenient :(

I'll look into installing the private channel for now.

D.

renojim
Topic Author

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:31 pm

The private channel should work just fine. I've submitted the update to the public channel, but I'm not sure when it will be "published".

vaxace, on an unrelated note, the first thing I thought of when I saw vaxace was PDP-8 (or 11). Any relation?

-JT