Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

beq

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:34 am

I also would like to find out if Chris Hoffman has any updates for the Picasa / Flickr / SmugMug channels.

For example if any Picasa enhancement needed to handle optional Google+ integration (perhaps even Google Drive?).

Or any updates to handle recent Flickr expansion under Marissa Mayer (1TB, full res, etc).

Or any need to adopt the design language of the new SmugMug redesign.

P.S. The company Couchy Media is behind the Couchy Play channel. I didn't know Chris Hoffman is involved with that company as well??

doug91

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:13 am

I have an odd error, was wondering if anyone else had seen it. My Picasa channel works fine, and my Picasa Screensaver will show "Featured Photos" just fine. However, when I set the Screensaver to show "My Photos," it generates an error upon preview ("screensaver could not be previewed. You may need to change custom settings.") and when it comes up by itself after idle time, it just shows the Roku logo. It worked fine for a long time, just stopped working a few weeks back (didn't notice exactly when, but I don't think there've been any recent software updates).

Any guesses as to what might be causing this?

(edit: I have deleted both the Picasa and the Picasa Screensaver channel, and re-registered the Picasa channel with roku.chrishoffman.org, and the problem still occurs.)

capnfinvark

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 pm

I have the same problem with my personal photos not showing. It started about 2 months back - but I am speculating it may be because I allowed Google to integrate Google+ with Picasa. I am pondering if I need to remove my Google+ account (not the Google account itself) to test this theory. My in-laws and parents screensavers have the same issue and I'm wondering if they also allowed the Google+ integration.

claire9

Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

doug91 wrote:
I have an odd error, was wondering if anyone else had seen it. My Picasa channel works fine, and my Picasa Screensaver will show "Featured Photos" just fine. However, when I set the Screensaver to show "My Photos," it generates an error upon preview ("screensaver could not be previewed. You may need to change custom settings.") and when it comes up by itself after idle time, it just shows the Roku logo. It worked fine for a long time, just stopped working a few weeks back (didn't notice exactly when, but I don't think there've been any recent software updates).

Any guesses as to what might be causing this?

(edit: I have deleted both the Picasa and the Picasa Screensaver channel, and re-registered the Picasa channel with roku.chrishoffman.org, and the problem still occurs.)
"

claire9 - 12/10/13 - I am sending this as a reply hoping it will show as a recent post--it's been a while since I did that--please let me know if I should
resubmit as a "new topic" it doesn't seem so according to the rules, but I would like this to appear! THanks

I just wrote an email to Chris Hoffman--to an address I found but won't disclose so that he is not swamped with other emails--the only reason I did this is
because I am in limbo like several of you about no longer being able to stream my web albums,including the random slideshow--properly. I hope I do get an answer from him because I could not find any recent post from him on this forum. (I hope the guy is alright and still the contact for issues with his apps) Moderator says "Contact developer first" and that's what I did. I am giving you a digest of what I wrote him since other folks seem to have the same problem:

"I tried some of the "tricks" other members with the same problems have used--including unsubscribing from Google + except for my gmail and YouTube. It hasn't worked, period.

Your screensaver with the smaller pictures etc works just fine. The web albums do not--I keep getting the "bad response - API return invalid." After several tries I sometime get one picture or two streaming, then the same message. Even the "best" of other programs do not seem to have the use of uploading--syncing albums.

My pictures which have always been on a large capacity thumb-drive have always synced to the web albums smoothly. Lately we've been enjoined to use the "no-redirect link" to Picasa web albums in order to avoid "Google + "the Borg", still I am sure my pics synced exactly where they should since I see them perfectly on the web albums.

So please, please do help me...I (and others) are at a loss to fix this type of problem which has been occurring over the past few weeks. A big chunk of my ease of use of Roku--chucked my cable as soon as I got it--is failing right now. "

(I not savvy enough to do complicated string changes on my computer although and wary to do some strange permutations that would affect other things. I am not the proverbial [old] babe in the woods about computers, though, this but this PC is recent, works well and I do know how to use it...still

Let's hope for the best and if any of you have solutions that I, for some reason, did not find while searching this forum please let me know. Much appreciated.

capnfinvark

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 pm

I have been having the same issue and I cannot say with certainty if I fixed it or it magically fixed itself when I did this - but suspecting the Google+ conversion was at fault - I went in and "shared" the Roku album just to friends and family - logged out of Picasa - then logged back in and unshhared it - after this it seems to work - my friends and family's roku's with this issue seem to have been fixed this way too. I don't think it mattered who I shared it with - I was just trying to "reset" the permissions.

Perhaps the Picasa/Google+ transition does something to the Roku album which doesn't work well by default with the permissions given to the Roku app?

1998gs

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Mine is now working thanks Chris.

alan_kb

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 am

hello, i love the picasa web albums roku channel. Although recently video has stopped playing. Any thoughts as it is the BEST way of watching home movies. Thanks.

fredjclaus

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:59 pm

was anyone successful in fixing this issue? I was trying to hook up my new roku on the church wifi network and I get this same API error.

fredjclaus

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Just wanted to also point out that I tried a different picasaweb account, and I still get the API returned invalid. Is there a fix or work around for this yet? I see it's been happening to people here since at least 2012.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:37 pm

You can contact the developer at christopher dot hoffman at gmail dot com
Google probably changed something that broke the channel again.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

fredjclaus

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 pm

thanks for that. I just emailed him to let him know. I will keep you all posted as to what I get as a reply.

Elijah_Baley

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:15 pm

kc8pql wrote:
You can contact the developer at christopher dot hoffman at gmail dot com
Google probably changed something that broke the channel again.

OT question: I see a lot of spelling out of addresses on various boards like you did here "christopher dot hoffman at gmail dot com" and I was wondering why that is done when the actual address works fine? christopher.hoffman@gmail.com

It is not really important but I just want to know the reason in case I am doing something wrong or against common practice.

Thanks.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:35 pm

The theory is makes it tougher for a simple bot to harvest the address and spam it. Your guess is as good as mine if it actually helps much or not,
but at least I can say I tried. :wink:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

kc8pql wrote:
The theory is makes it tougher for a simple bot to harvest the address and spam it. Your guess is as good as mine if it actually helps much or not,
but at least I can say I tried. :wink:

I use it on occasion, but it only helps for about 50% of spam mining, last I checked. Some of the miners take it into account and convert the [dot] or <dot>, etc, to the actual character.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

belltown

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:01 pm

If you're having trouble using the Picasa channel, I have an updated, Private channel (Picasa2) that may be useful while you're waiting for the official channel to get fixed: https://owner.roku.com/add/PICASA2

The registration/authentication code has been mostly re-written. It now uses Google's 'OAuth 2.0 For Devices' API for authentication, instead of the OAuth 1.0 API that was deprecated over 2 years ago. For added security, it now authorizes directly with Google without going through the developer's intermediate web site -- just go to google.com/device and type in the 9-character (case-sensitive) string displayed when you first run the channel.

It's based on Chris Hoffman's Picasa GitHub depository (https://github.com/chrishoffman/roku-picasa). None of the basic functionality has changed, although several other miscellaneous bugs have been fixed. I've also been able to play movies, at least if they're Mp4's, which I wasn't able to do using the official channel.
Last edited by belltown on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://github.com/belltown/