Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11
 
dandan14
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:20 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:29 pm

The picasa web albums screen saver seems to be hanging my system. I installed the screensaver yesterday, and twice when it has gone to screensaver and I have clicked to resume, it takes me back to a netflix screen but I'm completely hung inside netflix. If I hit the home button, I can exit netflix and come back in and I'm ok.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm using picasa screensaver with an account with several hundred (maybe thousands) of pictures.

Let me know if you need more info to troubleshoot.
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:40 pm

dandan14 wrote:
The picasa web albums screen saver seems to be hanging my system. I installed the screensaver yesterday, and twice when it has gone to screensaver and I have clicked to resume, it takes me back to a netflix screen but I'm completely hung inside netflix. If I hit the home button, I can exit netflix and come back in and I'm ok.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm using picasa screensaver with an account with several hundred (maybe thousands) of pictures.

Let me know if you need more info to troubleshoot.

I've seen that on occasion but could not pinpoint the culprit. I suspect it is a Roku bug since when you exit the screensaver it should kill off the underlying screensaver code. Btw, the screensaver only queries for your last 300 pictures so I don't think it is a memory thing. Thanks for the report, hopefully Roku will look into it.
 
aethelstan
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm

I have just activated Picasa, but only 10 albums show on the TV screen, and I have something like 100 albums; how can I get Roku to load ALL the albums, tks in advance
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:29 pm

aethelstan wrote:
I have just activated Picasa, but only 10 albums show on the TV screen, and I have something like 100 albums; how can I get Roku to load ALL the albums, tks in advance

PM me your Picasa userid. It should show everything, so I am interested to see what is happening for you.
 
esmoore68
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:30 pm

First of all, thanks a ton for doing this. I've been waiting very impatiently for a good picasa screensaver app for my Roku. I've written software for the public domain before, and I know it takes a lot of time, and users can be demanding, even if they didn't pay anything.

That being said, I have a couple of comments or requests, depending on if this behavior is by design or not.

All my photos show up very small on the TV. Maybe 4-6" wide on a 37" television. Can the photos be scaled to fill the screen?

Secondly, I have over 100 albums with thousands of photos total. I realize you may be limited by the Roku hardware, but this screensaver would be infinitely more useful to me if it pulled from all of those albums. If it is not possible to use all of them, at least a random sample of however many pics you can handle would be more helpful than the most recent 300. As is, only pics from my most recent album are showing (it was a wedding with lot of pics).

If you have not seen or used it, the ideal behavior for this screensaver in my opinion would be if it matched the behavior of the Picasa screen saver you get when you download the Picasa windows application.

Thanks again for all you've done so far, and thanks for listening to reports and requests.
 
albron43
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi, great job.

However, I just logged on as per your instructions and can only receive the 200 pictures that you posted. How do I get to see my pictures that are on Picasa

Thanks
 
Clintwey
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm still having the issue with the correct centering of pictures. Some work, some don't. I reinstalled the channel and also rebooted the Roku box. I've had the Roku box for at least a year. Might that be a problem? I updated the software. I'm on version 2.7.
Thanks
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:41 pm

esmoore68 wrote:
First of all, thanks a ton for doing this. I've been waiting very impatiently for a good picasa screensaver app for my Roku. I've written software for the public domain before, and I know it takes a lot of time, and users can be demanding, even if they didn't pay anything.

That being said, I have a couple of comments or requests, depending on if this behavior is by design or not.

All my photos show up very small on the TV. Maybe 4-6" wide on a 37" television. Can the photos be scaled to fill the screen?

Secondly, I have over 100 albums with thousands of photos total. I realize you may be limited by the Roku hardware, but this screensaver would be infinitely more useful to me if it pulled from all of those albums. If it is not possible to use all of them, at least a random sample of however many pics you can handle would be more helpful than the most recent 300. As is, only pics from my most recent album are showing (it was a wedding with lot of pics).

If you have not seen or used it, the ideal behavior for this screensaver in my opinion would be if it matched the behavior of the Picasa screen saver you get when you download the Picasa windows application.

Thanks again for all you've done so far, and thanks for listening to reports and requests.

I will look into all your requests. When I made the decision to make the pictures small was just because most the time the screensaver is running is when the TV is off. If you wanted to see a full screen slideshow, you can use the app. If you didn't notice, there is a random photo slideshow from all albums.
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:55 pm

albron43 wrote:
Hi, great job.

However, I just logged on as per your instructions and can only receive the 200 pictures that you posted. How do I get to see my pictures that are on Picasa

Thanks

I am assuming you are talking about the screensaver. You have to have your photos uploaded to Picasa Web Albums and the main Picasa Roku channel installed and linked.
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Clintwey wrote:
I'm still having the issue with the correct centering of pictures. Some work, some don't. I reinstalled the channel and also rebooted the Roku box. I've had the Roku box for at least a year. Might that be a problem? I updated the software. I'm on version 2.7.
Thanks

I have found that the issue usually happens when the pictures are relatively small. What size are you choosing when you upload your images?
 
Clintwey
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

I've tried uploading 2 sizes so far. The first that didn't work was Picasa's Recommended 1600 pixels. I thought larger might have been the problem. My current size, which has the same issues as Recommended, is Medium 1024 pixels.
I think the size of the orginal image is the issue. I'll experiment a bit. I exported to a smaller size in Picasa before I uploaded. I'll use the original size 2mg or larger to see if that works.
I've found that the original image should be used before uploading to web albums(don't export first). The player worked when I changed a 500k image back to the orginal size of 2meg. Not all images have to be large to display properly, however. I went back and looked at the image size. Some worked that were under 500k and had been through the export process. The ones that didn't, displayed properly when I used the orginal image before a Picasa export. Maybe some glitch in export adds to the problem.
 
cvj
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 am

I logged in to Roku.com to get a PIN in order to install the Picasa channel.

Picasa is not listed in the lineup of channels on the website.

Soo, how to I get the PIN??? :roll:
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 pm

cvj wrote:
I logged in to Roku.com to get a PIN in order to install the Picasa channel.

Picasa is not listed in the lineup of channels on the website.

Soo, how to I get the PIN??? :roll:

You do not need a pin, it is now available in the Channel Store from your Roku. It is not listed on the website yet because there is a contest going on right now and nothing from the contest is listed on the site yet.
 
jrsforums
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:00 pm

I just checked ALL in the Channel Store. Cannot find "Picasa Web Albums" Is it there with a different name?

John
 
hoffmcs
Topic Author
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Picasa Web Albums

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm

jrsforums wrote:
I just checked ALL in the Channel Store. Cannot find "Picasa Web Albums" Is it there with a different name?

John

Have you updated your box recently? Maybe you don't have the latest firmware. Try force updating it by going in the settings and checking for an update, min firmware is currently set at v2.6 b693.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests