Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

-LD

Re: unofficial roku forum

Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:13 am

I don't expect it to take off at all. What a weird idea.

Village Idiot

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:20 am

senorgregster wrote:
I have been very impressed at what you allow to be posted. Very open. I really don't see the need for any other forum but perhaps some do.

Well the yahoo group has 844 members to it.
So i guess those 844 members do see a need for another forum to post in.
I wonder how many of those 844 members are also in here posting in this thread.
OK i'll admit i'm a member of it. And i like seeing and belonging to more then one forum.
No two forums are ever alike and you can learn more by belonging to more then just one.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 pm

-LD wrote:
I don't expect it to take off at all. What a weird idea.

LOL.. I like that sarcasm.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

cwniles

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:23 pm

senorgregster wrote:
RokuJamesL wrote:
KennyJ wrote:
It seems the Roku moderators only close discussions that turn into childish name-callings. If that's all I'm missing from this forum, then I don't think I need a more relaxed place to go.

As one of the admins here, I will reiterate this point. As a policy, we do not delete or edit posts that are critical or negative towards Roku. The only instance where posts get deleted is when users go out of their way to insult other users. Even then, there is a lot of leeway in these cases. Probably too much in some people's opinion, but the point is, as long as people post responsibly, opinions, both positive and negative are welcome here.

I have been very impressed at what you allow to be posted. Very open. I really don't see the need for any other forum but perhaps some do.

Even as a victim of past censorship (SARCASM!) I agree 100% with this. :) Any threads I was involved with that were locked or deleted were done so for very understandable reasons. Even though sometimes I don't actually see what causes a thread to be deleted or locked I am confident from experience that the Roku mod's are more then fair.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141

robertm

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:12 pm

I got dinged once for calling a certain person here a troll. That is okay though, I usually find the boundaries sooner or later. :mrgreen:

Village Idiot

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 pm

bummer i tried to join but it wouldn't let me.
said my user name was invalid.
Could it be someone else in those forums already has my favorite screen name ?
Who in the world would want to be me ?

cflat

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 pm

thanks for starting the roku subreddit orhtodoxdrew. i plan on using it as a welcomed addition to this forum. i'm constantly on the prowl for any new roku news, and am also a reddit addict, so its a perfect fit for me.
to those of you who see no need for an "unofficial forum", i agree. don't think of www.reddit.com/r/roku as an unofficial forum per se, but more as an online hang out to trade articles, ideas and gripes. give it awhile to catch on and i'm optimistic you will find it worthy.

c

Village Idiot

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:15 pm

I hope it does catch on.
But it'll have to do it without me.
It just will not let me join.
Tried dozens of names all invalid.
It just is not user friendly.

senorgregster

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:40 pm

cflat wrote:
thanks for starting the roku subreddit orhtodoxdrew. i plan on using it as a welcomed addition to this forum. i'm constantly on the prowl for any new roku news, and am also a reddit addict, so its a perfect fit for me.
to those of you who see no need for an "unofficial forum", i agree. don't think of http://www.reddit.com/r/roku as an unofficial forum per se, but more as an online hang out to trade articles, ideas and gripes. give it awhile to catch on and i'm optimistic you will find it worthy.

c

That's what I don't get. Everybody does this right here. Why spread it over two places?

cflat

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

That's what I don't get. Everybody does this right here. Why spread it over two places?[/quote]

why not? variety is the spice of life. i already go to four websites for my roku info. why limit yourself to one? i do admit that this one is the best one though.

as far as reddit goes, i like the format. i already use it every day. it may not be for everyone.

c

senorgregster

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:37 am

senorgregster wrote:
That's what I don't get. Everybody does this right here. Why spread it over two places?

cflat wrote:
why not? variety is the spice of life. i already go to four websites for my roku info. why limit yourself to one? i do admit that this one is the best one though.

as far as reddit goes, i like the format. i already use it every day. it may not be for everyone.

why not?... one place is simpler.

variety is the spice of life.... if everything was posted here then we would have all the variety

i already go to four websites for my roku info. why limit yourself to one?... because spreading people's input/news etc over 4 place makes it next to impossible to track everything and we will miss out on the variety that is the spice of life :)

i do admit that this one is the best one though... so why on earth make others... why stop at 4? let's make 10!

glenns

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:26 am

orthodoxdrew wrote:
i created an unofficial roku forum on reddit. address is:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/

use it however you want. this forum is fine but it's always nice to have an 'unofficial' place to talk about things where you don't have to worry about the owners of the product moderating the discussions.

Good idea, but I didn't see any posts ? It seem to be more than just a Roku discussion site ?

By the way, I certainly hope the folks at Roku are moderating this forum by carefully reading all the posts telling of connection issues, build release issues, etc. If I were Roku I'd place a high value on all the comments... They can only help make the Roku box a better product. And one must remember how valuable word of mouth advertising can be !!

vulcanman

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 am

There is already one on the net that allows Roku users to speak their mind ... and I am very happy with it ...

http://tinyurl.com/4mobvt

/\/\

Village Idiot

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:47 am

that's a cute trick.
Your own little UL just for this site.
But seriously Roku does not truly let people speak their minds.
If they did they wouldn't be locking up threads nor removing posts.
I do agree some threads have run their course or become redundant of other threads.
Still people do want to keep posting on them.
Anyway do you really want an internet where there is only one site for each type of forum ?

-LD

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:38 am

Village Idiot wrote:
that's a cute trick.
Your own little UL just for this site.
But seriously Roku does not truly let people speak their minds.
If they did they wouldn't be locking up threads nor removing posts.
I do agree some threads have run their course or become redundant of other threads.
Still people do want to keep posting on them.
Anyway do you really want an internet where there is only one site for each type of forum ?

Do you actually want a forum that does absolutely no moderation? The quality would be absolute piss.