Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

crassh76
Topic Author

New channels this week?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:45 pm

I checked a little while ago and didn't see any. Are all new channels on hold because of the contest? I know last week we had a couple of new ones. I'm curious about what The Nowhereman might be up to.
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)

RokuPatrick

Re: New channels this week?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Some people may be waiting for the contest, but there are a number of channels at various stages of development that are not waiting for the contest. There should be at least one channel of note this week, which I think you'll like, but may slip until tomorrow. I'll of course post when we publish new channels.

KennyJ

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:49 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
Some people may be waiting for the contest, but there are a number of channels at various stages of development that are not waiting for the contest. There should be at least one channel of note this week, which I think you'll like, but may slip until tomorrow. I'll of course post when we publish new channels.

Didn't the contest already begin? If something is submitted and published today, isn't it still eligible for the contest? Or do you mean people will be putting as much polish as possible on their channel until the deadline?

RokuPatrick

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm

KennyJ wrote:
RokuPatrick wrote:

Didn't the contest already begin? If something is submitted and published today, isn't it still eligible for the contest? Or do you mean people will be putting as much polish as possible on their channel until the deadline?

No, contest entries will all be published at the same time since finalists are chosen by voting and all should start on equal footing.

jhernes

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:03 pm

KennyJ wrote:
RokuPatrick wrote:

I don't think you need to entry Hulu plus or MOG etc. :)
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

ashes00

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:36 pm

I thought we were going to have a good Channel this week :shock:

jhernes

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 pm

ashes00 wrote:
I thought we were going to have a good Channel this week :shock:

You thought! That make me wonder now. :?:
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:09 pm

...and people wonder why Roku doesn't like to announce things before they happen...

crassh76
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:45 pm

kc8pql wrote:
...and people wonder why Roku doesn't like to announce things before they happen...

And yet you were curious enough and looked in this subject and put in your 2 cents.
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P

RokuPatrick

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:05 pm

The week isn't over and we're trying to be open and transparent with you guys, so play nice, please :) It's quite possible that not every week will have new channels and sometimes even we're surprised with how many go out since sometimes they just show up on our doorstep with a little note saying "Publish Me". That said, looking at what;s coming over the next weeks and months, there are a number of channels that should appeal to a wide variety of people..

crassh76
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:58 pm

:D
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P

Robert99

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
That said, looking at what;s coming over the next weeks and months, there are a number of channels that should appeal to a wide variety of people..
Any ETA on the fix/enhancement to allow more channels to be loaded into our players?

Even with the current channel lineup, I'm already pushing the limits as the number of channels at the same time. And with many more channels (apparently) on the way, it would really be helpful not to have to decide which channel gets discarded in order to make room for some new channel that is coming out...

RokuPatrick

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Robert99 wrote:
RokuPatrick wrote:
That said, looking at what;s coming over the next weeks and months, there are a number of channels that should appeal to a wide variety of people..
Any ETA on the fix/enhancement to allow more channels to be loaded into our players?

Even with the current channel lineup, I'm already pushing the limits as the number of channels at the same time. And with many more channels (apparently) on the way, it would really be helpful not to have to decide which channel gets discarded in order to make room for some new channel that is coming out...

September-ish.

jhernes

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Five months to push for the 100 channels, at least the contest will be a big help to publish more channels. Marketing genius, thank you in advance. :D

jcmolet

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 pm

jhernes wrote:
Five months to push for the 100 channels, at least the contest will be a big help to publish more channels. Marketing genius, thank you in advance. :D

In an interview with Home Media Magazine back in January, I believe Mr. Wood stated 100's (i.e. at least 200) of channels by the end of the year. It should be interesting to see what happens between now and December:

"When we released our first box, it cost $115 with shipping and had one channel, and that was Netflix movie streaming in standard-definition. Then we added, via free software updates to our customers, Netflix in high-def, Amazon VOD in HD, MLB.com and now a channel store with about 15 [free and premium] channels. What’s going to happen in the next couple of years is more of that, and we expect to have hundreds of content channels by the end of this year. "

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/vod/si ... wood-18195