Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Ndowser
Topic Author

Idea for 20-40 minute video cache and other features.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 am

Sorry if someone has already ask for these feature requests.

1) Would be nice if you can come out with a new unit with some solid-state memory on it so when I'm watching Netflix I can rewind or forward like a DVR without waiting for it to reload from the Internet everytime and make it not record anymore than 50% max of the total time of the show and have it erase the old data as it records and stop recording and send an error back to Netflix if it cannot erase the data, also have it not cache the last few minutes of the show so even if someone tried to record all the pices and put them toghter to make a full show they would never have the end of the show since it cannot record it.

2) Would be nice when I pause the video to read something on the screen that the pause bar disappear after a few seconds like every other Audio/Video device on the market.

3) I have my unit connected with an HDMI cable and when the unit goes into screen saver mode my sound on my TV no longer works untill I turn off my TV and turn it back on, would be nice to be able to disable the screen saver.

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Idea for 20-40 minute video cache and other features.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 am

Ndowser wrote:

1) Would be nice if you can come out with a new unit with some solid-state memory on it so when I'm watching Netflix I can rewind or forward like a DVR without waiting for it to reload from the Internet everytime and make it not record anymore than 50% max of the total time of the show and have it erase the old data as it records and stop recording and send an error back to Netflix if it cannot erase the data, also have it not cache the last few minutes of the show so even if someone tried to record all the pices and put them toghter to make a full show they would never have the end of the show since it cannot record it.

2) Would be nice when I pause the video to read something on the screen that the pause bar disappear after a few seconds like every other Audio/Video device on the market.

3) I have my unit connected with an HDMI cable and when the unit goes into screen saver mode my sound on my TV no longer works untill I turn off my TV and turn it back on, would be nice to be able to disable the screen saver.

1. - Solid state is still pricey.

2. - Pause bar is fine? Is it really that big of a deal?

3. - You can disable the screen saver. Check your settings.

robertm

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 am

Ndowser wrote:

As I recall, the content owners will not allow a buffer of more than a few seconds.

renojim

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Crow550 wrote:
2. - Pause bar is fine? Is it really that big of a deal?

I strongly disagree. I've been looking at that stupid thing for two years now and on numerous occasions have wished there was a way to make it go away. I think I've gotten to the point that I hate it so much I'd rather have none at all than one that you can't get rid of.

-JT

Village Idiot

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:46 pm

I agree . I watched a few sub titled movies where the print doesn't last long on the screen.
It would be great to be able to pause and then read the writing.
And if Netflix ever does get its act together with close caption
it'll be even more in demand for the pause to disappear.

Crow550

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:02 pm

So like maybe a pause symbol in the upper right corner with the time below it? Time watched & remaining.

robertm

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Crow550 wrote:
So like maybe a pause symbol in the upper right corner with the time below it? Time watched & remaining.

Or use a button the remote to make it just go away like you can on most systems. Since I was just thinking about NFL and now thinking about this pause issue... it would be horrible to watch games on Roku because you would never be able to do your own instant replay.

Crow550

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:17 pm

robertm wrote:
Crow550 wrote:

Or use a button the remote to make it just go away like you can on most systems. Since I was just thinking about NFL and now thinking about this pause issue... it would be horrible to watch games on Roku because you would never be able to do your own instant replay.

The down button could be used for Instant Replay? Play back 10-15 seconds?

pjoshua5000

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Base on some test I did with the 1st Gen Roku (N1000) using Roksbox channel (streaming from your computer channel) the Roku can buffer about 88 MB of data before it stops loading (form my computer). I don't know if it just stops because of a software limit (and its possible that the Roku can buffer more) or if its just a hardware limit. A larger buffer might be nice to combat congress from your internet provider and the CMD servers from while the video is streams from. Who knows, maybe some time in the future. Or maybe, the internet congestion and internet speeds can improve where that will not be necessary.

PS. I don't think that the video buffers in the Flash as that is for installing channels and software. Its, I think, only about 64 MB. It loads into the Ram which is other 128 MB or 256 MB (on the N1000), but I'm not sure that it.

jeffrok

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:07 am

Crow550 wrote:

Adding a 8-16GB solid state/flash add-on would probably only add $10-$15 to the cost. I'd pay it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

BoloMKXXVIII

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 am

jeffrok wrote:
Crow550 wrote:

Adding a 8-16GB solid state/flash add-on would probably only add $10-$15 to the cost. I'd pay it.

Me too, but then the content providers would not release their content to be played on the Roku. It is hard enough for Roku to get more partners. This would only make that problem worse.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

jeffrok

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 am

you'd make the storage internal and copy-protected... The xbox and PS3 have large caches AND Netflix.. I think it's do-able.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10