Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MojaMike

Re: XDS component cable

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 am

Unless you have a really inferior (or bad) cable in the mix, the shielding in your cables should prevent any signal degradation. First check to ensure that you have good connections.

The best test for the switch would be to temporarily remove it (connect your Roku directly) to see if there is any noise being introduced by the switch. Also, make sure that your test uses any cables that you were using with the switch connected, to rule-out the possibility of a bad cable. Just change one thing at a time to isolate what is causing the problem. If everything checks good until you reconnect the switch, then that would indicate a bad switch.

Hope this helps.

kringles

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 pm

rcliff wrote:
Still trying to figure this out. I've tried two cables now that don't work. I'd modify one if I had the correct pinout. Any help appreciated. Could it be the 1st config shown below? Thanks

I have a Roku supplied cable. Pinout is 1 = Ground, 2 = Red, 3 = Blue, 4 = Green. Also verified that it is the same as the component cable supplied with the WD TV Live and Live+ units I have.

beel

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:47 pm

This irks me quite a bit too. I have emailed and chatted with support about it, and they are worthless. They initially told me that the component cable is only sold with the HDMI cable, which I don't need. When I informed them that their webstore did have the component cable listed by itself, but was out of stock, they said that they had no idea when it would be in and that I should just buy the cable package. From what I hear, roku's shipping is 10 bucks (absurd), and I will be paying 30$ for a single cable that may or may not be some proprietary BS.

Does anybody know of any valid cable alternatives? Somebody earlier in the thread linked to an ebay account, but they don't have it anymore. I would return the roku box and buy something else before I spent 30 dollars on a component cable.

kumasuki

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:52 pm

beel wrote:
Does anybody know of any valid cable alternatives? Somebody earlier in the thread linked to an ebay account, but they don't have it anymore. I would return the roku box and buy something else before I spent 30 dollars on a component cable.

This cable http://www.campus111.com/m00458.html is a component cable with a 3.5mm plug. Another one suggested earlier in this thread is sold in the AipTek store:
http://www.aiptek.com/store/
select 'Items' (on the left of the screen)
then select "Cables" under the "Replacement Parts" heading
you'll see a scrollable list of parts.
In the 2nd row you'll see a "HD video
component cable", no. ZCB-HDV-V for $9.99.
Right now there's FREE ground shipping at Aiptek too!
Last edited by kumasuki on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

beel

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:55 pm

kumasuki wrote:
beel wrote:

This cable http://www.campus111.com/m00458.html is a component cable with a 3.5mm plug. Another one suggested earlier in this thread is sold in the AipTek store:
http://www.aiptek.com/store/
select 'Items' (on the left of the screen)
then select "USB and AV Cables" under the "Replacement Parts" heading
you'll see a scrollable list of parts.
Go to the bottom and you'll see a "HD video
component cable", no. ZCB-HDV-V for $9.99.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I am going to look into these.

kumasuki

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:00 pm

beel wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I am going to look into these.

I updated the navigation clues for Aiptek and noted their FREE shipping promo.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box

detroit_galaxian

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Has anyone actually tried the Aiptek cable yet? There are a lot of posts above suggesting it, but no one has posted with a hands-on confirmation that it works or not.

Thanks -

Ryan

vmps

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm

MoonChaser wrote:
I thought the benefit of component was that it separated out the various parts of the image to allow for a higher throughput of data to the TV, plus the wires were thick enough to allow for better transmission as well. Wouldn't having all that data going through a 3.5mm jack create a horrible bottleneck and eliminate the benefits? Doesn't seem very efficient to me. It could be interesting to do a comparison of the older boxes with dedicated component outputs vs this special cable... both a visual test by playing the same picture side-by-side simultaneously, and a technical test using an oscilliscope or other testing equipment.

Should be a special 3.5mm jack with multiple insulated areas, not just a single connection within the jack. (For this reason an ordinary 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter shouldn't work, unless it has the correct insulated segments.)

pvpeacock

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm

I just bought an XDS because it had the component output which is all my older model plasma TV will take (no HDMI). I was concerned about not being able to buy the special component cable from Roku, but thought I'd give my Creative Zen plug a try. It worked! Took me a few tries switching the cables around, but eventually I got a Roku picture on my screen and completed the set up. I then noticed that the colors didn't seem right, so I switched two of the cables around again and voila, perfect picture. They are available at Amazon, see: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Audio-Video ... 567&sr=8-1
Good luck.

kumasuki

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:07 pm

pvpeacock wrote:
... I switched two of the cables around again and voila, perfect picture. They are available at Amazon, see: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Audio-Video ... 567&sr=8-1
Good luck.

Could you list which connector you put in each of the component inputs to get it to work?

wataga123

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Posted this a few pages back, his cable should be the same. I used the red for "y" white for "pb" yellow for "pr" works fine.

detroit_galaxian

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Good news everyone...

The Aiptek cable works perfectly!
However - you need to swap the red and green plugs. (The blue plug stays the same.)

The cable arrived at my front door exactly 48 hours after I placed the order. (It traveled from California to Michigan via the standard shipping option - which was free!)

"Thank you" to everyone who has contributed to this discussion.

"Shame on you" to Roku!! The marketing materials make it sound like this will work with a standard component video connection. It's only buried in "fine print" that a special proprietary cable has to be purchased separately. And then it has been left up to the consumer, with no help at all, to do all of the detective work to figure this one out. What a headache!!

Ryan K

nomemata

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Here's another one pretty cheap on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0656806151

I got this one for $6.99 with free shipping. Using wataga123's cable color matchups just above this post, everything worked just great first time out.

Once again, Roku should be ashamed of this whole cable situation. It should either have been included or offered at a low cost (sorry... $9.99 + shipping ain't low cost). I like the product, but if their leadership is either stupid enough or thoughtless enough to allow something this minor to stand in the way of a good product, it stands to reason that the future holds new screwup potential.

germinoj

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:52 pm

I had to buy the cable pack from Roku to get the component, but I also needed an optical audio cable as well myself.

Thanny

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Just confirming that this cable works fine:

http://www.itdirec.com/Creative-Zen-Vis ... -P530.aspx

Y = red
Pb = white
Pr = yellow

It's four feet long and pretty thin, but I saw no visual defects (once the plug was pushed in all the way).

At $3.97 shipped, it's probably the cheapest option for those having difficulty finding a cable.