Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tbbycatt

Re: PlayOn Private Channel (Alpha release)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:29 am

Thank you!

flyer57

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 am

Fantastic. Needed to download un update to my PlayOn server software. I routinely rip DVDs to my hard drive for use on my iPad on trips. PlayOn streamed the movies without a hitch. Haven't tried Hulu yet or the other PlayOn content.

Thanks! :D

wendyshinyo

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 am

Excellent! Now I wish I didn't buy the Western Digital TV Live Plus when it came out. Roku is now doing the job.

I am such a Roku fan it's pathetic!

Wendy
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Terk HDTVa antenna (3 TVs)
Roku 3, 2-Roku 2, Roku XDS
Simple.TV 1
Acer Aspire R3700
Windows 7 PC / Hauppauge tuner / WMC
Samsung BluRay/DVD

thelastknight69

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:19 am

one suggestion, or question depending on how you look at it, and I don't know if its possible, but is there a way we could get a icon/button/whatever that will play all the shows in our Queue?

just select play all and it goes from the most recent to the next show after each one has finished

Gilgamesh

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:34 am

thelastknight69 wrote:
one suggestion, or question depending on how you look at it, and I don't know if its possible, but is there a way we could get a icon/button/whatever that will play all the shows in our Queue?

just select play all and it goes from the most recent to the next show after each one has finished
That would be a function of PlayOn and I believe PlayOn said on their forum that that functionality was not able to be added at this time due to limitations of the Hulu connection. It was something about Hulu not providing that functionality to computers not running the Hulu app. I think it was that the queue had to be rebuilt after playing.

Remember all PlayOn does is look and act like a computer to the various web sites and provide the video as a stream to the supported devices. PlayOn is NOT a supported app by any of the sites it provides access to.

mwalker587

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for the great new channel.So far i've had success with CBS.Hulu. and tv.com.I tried to watch a show on Spike TV but the show reverted back to the beginning after I watched the first 10 minutes.

zwei

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:50 am

Been a while since I have messed with my PlayOn. Have to update it and give it a go.
Roku 2 XS: Serial # 13A167000334

CalvinMcGowan

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 am

zwei wrote:
Been a while since I have messed with my PlayOn. Have to update it and give it a go.

It will be interesting to see how scyber's PlayOn channel holds up against MediaMall's constant revision of its PlayOn software. Currently, according to scyber, the PlayOn channel will only work or was only tested and found to work with PlayOn version 3.0.19[.1216]. Hopefully scyber's PlayOn channel will also work with future versions of MediaMall's PlayOn software.

imdaman99

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:27 pm

I tried to look for the 3.0.19 software but I could only find the 3.0.20. I don't know if that was the issue I'm having or if my laptop just doesn't have enough juice to it, it's more than 4 years old. When I finally did get a Hulu video to play (after about 10-12) attempts, there was extreme stuttering or jittering. Odds are it is my laptop, but I thank you anyway Scyther for giving us this chance at free Hulu on our TVs :)

DeftOne

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:29 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
It will be interesting to see how scyber's PlayOn channel holds up against MediaMall's constant revision of its PlayOn software. Currently, according to scyber, the PlayOn channel will only work or was only tested and found to work with PlayOn version 3.0.19[.1216]. Hopefully scyber's PlayOn channel will also work with future versions of MediaMall's PlayOn software.

I installed PlayOn yesterday, and I think it's already beyond that build if I remember correctly. In my short amount of testing, I had success with Hulu, CBS, TV.com, PBS Kids, and SyFy (script), but couldn't get Comedy Central and a couple others to work. Not sure if that's specific to the build I was using or not. I didn't get a chance to try the My Media feature.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Hulu. I installed PlayOn on my HP MediaSmart Server (EX490), and Hulu worked pretty well. There were a few stutters and audio got out of sync for a few seconds every once in a while, but I think that's probably more a result of the marginal computing power of the EX490 than the Roku PlayOn channel. The two or three episodes I watched on Hulu played to completion without any rebuffering. The CBS and SyFy shows I watched were not quite as good -- got several rebuffers and the PQ isn't as good.

Again, overall it worked fairly well. It would be nice if the channel was a little more responsive, so hopefully that can be addressed.

Thanks for providing this channel!
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps

QuantumIguana

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 pm

I've had PlayOn for a couple weeks now, and I'm pleased with it. I use it to view content on my PS3. Now that I can use it for the Roku, that's fantastic. I'm thinking of moving the Roku player up to the bedroom, I only have a digital converter box there. If they added a working C-Span plugin, that would be great.

CalvinMcGowan

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:18 pm

DeftOne wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:

I installed PlayOn yesterday, and I think it's already beyond that build if I remember correctly.

Yes, the latest version is 3.0.21, which I will install and test (in a few minutes) for compatibility with scyber's PlayOn channel.

Edit: I just installed PlayOn version 3.0.21.1222 and so far it is a GO with scyber's PlayOn channel.

KennyJ

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:47 pm

It worked pretty well. I had a couple stalls which crashed the channel and forced me to reboot the Roku. I am getting a weird quick audio drop out on occasion (less than 1 second drop). I had one rebuffer using Hulu -- none using TV.com.

Overall it works pretty good though.

doodlebug52

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:56 pm

I actually utilize tv-links more than hulu. Anyone tried viewing tv-links with this new channel, and if so, how goes it? I've been trying to decide between WDTV Live + and Roku. Would prefer Roku, but I'm going to be watching the forum for a few days before making a final decision. It's all very exciting, isn't it? Kudos to the developer!!!

QuantumIguana

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:46 pm

I used the code to add the channel, but it hasn't shown up on my Roku yet.