Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CalvinMcGowan

Re: PlayOn Private Channel (Beta)

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:53 pm

y0himba wrote:
CalvinMcGowan wrote:
y0himba wrote:
I mean, the folks at Roku are officially sending emails circumventing Roku's blocks.

I hope and believe you meant to say "the folks at MediaMall are officially sending emails circumventing Roku's blocks". I do not believe MediaMall did.

Good catch, thanks!

"tampabayshooters" is trying to post the email he got from PlayOn and it is all over their forums over there that PlayOn is sending out emails with a new private channel.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32597&p=211783#p211783

http://www.playon.tv/forum/general/gene ... yon?page=2

Yes, I've been to the PlayOn forum and have seen there what I believe to be this malicious idiot's posts under the moniker 'rokudeveloper'. It's sad to see that there are some people that just don't get it.

rogermjohnson

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:36 pm

The code he posted DOES work. I used it at 3pm this afternoon. It added the same channel as before, only now its titled 'Personal PlayOn'. Slightly differnt wording... same channel as before. Where as it wouldnt work last night, it does now. Get it before somebody changes their mind...
Check out my 'Classic Rock' radio station...
It's sugar free, fat free, and commercial free!

Voice Of Belle Plaine 92.9 fm

www.vobp.itgo.com

TampaShooters

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:36 pm

y0himba wrote:
@tampabayshooters: Why would they send you a channel, why are you posting that PRIVATE channel in multiple threads? This is going to be just like Hulu, Roku will block the channels, they will create them and continue to try and profit off of Roku without permission. Shady again. Why continue to try to find ways around Roku's block? Can't Roku use some sort of legal action to prevent them trying to profit off of the box?

I mean, the folks at PlayOn are officially sending emails circumventing Roku's blocks. They even have a thread started to post ways to get around the blocks and the devs have released the sourcecode for the PlayOn channel, and they are telling people to put their boxes in dev mode. http://www.playon.tv/forum/general/gene ... yon?page=2

What kind of a support nightmare will this cause, people screwing up their boxes at PlayOn's behest?

Hopefully legal action will be forthcoming. As for me, I have uninstalled PlayOn. They seem to be nothing more than script kiddie type punk hackers, (opinion) what lowlifes.

They even stated the "Official" channel was user created and they had no control over it, essentially hanging him out to dry after they advertised that it worked and tried to make it a selling point.

Hey gang,

We were contacted today by Roku and told that they were going to disallow this channel. While we are very dissapaointed by this there is not much we can do. Neither the Roku channel developer nor Roku are affiliated with PlayOn and we have no control over the situation. We were very excited about the Roku channel and excited to promote it to our customers...it was a cool feature that we thought many of our customers would really like. We don't understand why Roku would feel a need to remove a channel that was benefiting so many of you.

It is our understanding that Roku has a 30 day return policy, so if you've just purchased a Roku for PlayOn you can hopefully get a refund from them. We will continue to try to find ways to support this device.

Sorry for the bad news.

Best,
Jim

I posted it because PLAYON sent it to me. I paid for a subscription and they are responsible for keeping their word in giving me access through Roku. If they don't want it posted, that is on them. They have been playing Dumb along with Roku on this whole situtation, and it is pissing me off. Get mad at them, not me.

TampaShooters

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:40 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
Yes, I've been to the PlayOn forum and have seen there what I believe to be this malicious idiot's posts under the moniker 'rokudeveloper'. It's sad to see that there are some people that just don't get it.

You are an idiot, I am not ROKUDEVELOPER, I am TampaShooters, and it is SAD to see people like you who want to post crap, instead of trying to help people.

jcmolet

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Fortunately, it is likely this thread will be locked soon. Hopefully, those that are interested in supporting Roku and seeing their platform succeed will not be participants in the subversion that appears to be going on. If Roku and PlayON come to some type of agreement, great. If not, hopefully people will move on and let the topic die...at least in these forums.

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:54 pm

In the future, anyone who posts a private channel code for a PlayOn channel on these forums will be perma-banned. Posting a code here and then declaring "I'm just the messenger" is not going to cut it around here.

We've already made our statement on this very clear. Discussion of our policy is fine. Whatever gets discussed and posted on PlayOn's forums is their business.

This thread is now closed.