Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this too.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I made a thread on this before Google TV was announced. I think? Anyways....Before this only like 2 tv's had this.

With Google TV it might catch on.

I think the XR & XD|S should maybe get Skype or some type of similar video chat service. I think living room video chat could take off. I could imagine using it.

Wouldn't be that difficult to add support for numerous webcams with built in mics.
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:48 pm

 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Crow550 wrote:
I made a thread on this before Google TV was announced. I think? Anyways....Before this only like 2 tv's had this.

With Google TV it might catch on.

I think the XR & XD|S should maybe get Skype or some type of similar video chat service. I think living room video chat could take off. I could imagine using it.

Wouldn't be that difficult to add support for numerous webcams with built in mics.


I really, really, seriously doubt the Roku XR or XD or XD/S have the horsepower and or memory space to have a video-conferencing/calling software package installed.. That's asking a lot of this little $99 (or less!) box. Plus, Roku has never said that other peripherals other than hard drives would work with the USB port.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
hn333
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:05 pm

We already have devices that allow video chat on a tv, this is nothing new and most people don't care about it. The last thing I need is people watching me as I sit naked in front of my tv.
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Given how bad Skype video looks on my laptop, I'd hate to think what it would be like on a 60" TV.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
imdaman99
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:00 pm

This idea would interest the crowd of the older generation, as they are more accustomed to using the TV than a computer or laptop. I know this because I have parents who are not computer savvy. My mother has no idea how to use the internet and refuses to learn no matter how often I try to teach her. She will however use Skype to talk to my bro who lives in the UAE. But she needs us to set it up for her :lol:

That being said, it would be nice but I seriously doubt the USB port could be used or even in future features could be used to add a webcam to it. It won't even play most of our video formats :x lol
 
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:19 pm

imdaman99 wrote:
This idea would interest the crowd of the older generation, as they are more accustomed to using the TV than a computer or laptop.

I'm 60. Most everyone I know is at least moderately computer literate, and they all use Skype. I'm not sure there would be much demand for it on the TV though.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
 
ProdigiousJuggalo
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 pm

hn333 wrote:
We already have devices that allow video chat on a tv, this is nothing new and most people don't care about it.

I like your thoughts on this matter, but while I agree that it is true that video chat has existed before, I would make the argument that video quality has been typically "sorta crappy" and most devices that have offered this have typically been standalone type systems and haven't been something that could be considered a focal point for home entertainment, which I believe the Roku box to be exactly that. I'd disagree that most people don't care about it, rather, I'd believe it to be more of a case of inaccessibility and/or inconvenient accessibility to the video chat technology coupled with the historically typical lackluster performance I noted above along with the forced incompatibility/proprietary mindset of those companies that have offered this in the past. What I'm getting at is, can we be sure that most folks don't care about video chat at all, or should we consider that maybe most folks simply don't care for video chat as it has been offered thus far?

Last thought, while typing I remembered that when mobile phones started becoming a bit popular in the late 80's and maybe even early 90's it was common for me to hear people say something along the lines of how no one cared and/or needed to have a phone in their car, that it was ridiculous to think that anyone couldn't simply wait until they could stop to use a phone or pay phone, etc. Now it seems that nearly everyone from kids to grandparents "need" their mobile phone to be with them. I'm guessing that some people may have thought that a TV in the home was pointless since the local theater had entertainment and news already.

If Roku (possibly with a developer) were to offer an integrated, quality picture and sound, hopefully compatible, and affordable video chat solution, I'd be interested and I think others may be too - but maybe not. I can imagine that if the SDK also allowed access to this functionality that it may also be adopted by the video-blogging, podcasting, and lifecasting communities.

hn333 wrote:
The last thing I need is people watching me as I sit naked in front of my tv.

Yuck. :lol:

Crow550 wrote:
Video on Video Chat on Google TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1YVAQ9P ... r_embedded

Thanks! I liked that video. It'll be interesting to see where this goes and whether or not this is a solution that is wanted.

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo
 
-LD
Posts: 1602
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 am

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:40 pm

imdaman99 wrote:
This idea would interest the crowd of the older generation, as they are more accustomed to using the TV than a computer or laptop.

Did they have a WebTV? That failed too.
 
unclebob
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: las vegas nv
Contact:

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Logitech's Google box will retail at $300, and for the extra money I don't see a very compelling product.
Through the forthcoming giving season, tablet computers and TV boxes willl be the thing. When the press and consumers compare Roku, Revue and AppleTV, it's Roku that will have the compelling case, because of the programming it puts on screens.

Roku looks like a big winner this coming holiday season, and ifthey want that to continue, they MUST pursue the strategy that is already working for them, by sticking to their core expertise -- bringing programming from the net to the TV.

Let the suckers who empty their pockets for the Revue enjoy their fancy remote and their video chat. Me, not interested
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:10 am

unclebob wrote:
Logitech's Google box will retail at $300, and for the extra money I don't see a very compelling product.
Through the forthcoming giving season, tablet computers and TV boxes willl be the thing. When the press and consumers compare Roku, Revue and AppleTV, it's Roku that will have the compelling case, because of the programming it puts on screens.

Roku looks like a big winner this coming holiday season, and ifthey want that to continue, they MUST pursue the strategy that is already working for them, by sticking to their core expertise -- bringing programming from the net to the TV.

Let the suckers who empty their pockets for the Revue enjoy their fancy remote and their video chat. Me, not interested


How many channels with content did the Roku bring to the consumer?
:)
Just trying to judge about their expertise.
Roku pricing shows that they cannot be a serious player. They can't even afford youtube license...
On the other hand, imagine grandparents playing poker or any other game via video conferencing with video overlayed... Could be pretty exciting...
 
senorgregster
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:44 am

blocked wrote:
unclebob wrote:
Logitech's Google box will retail at $300, and for the extra money I don't see a very compelling product.
Through the forthcoming giving season, tablet computers and TV boxes willl be the thing. When the press and consumers compare Roku, Revue and AppleTV, it's Roku that will have the compelling case, because of the programming it puts on screens.

Roku looks like a big winner this coming holiday season, and ifthey want that to continue, they MUST pursue the strategy that is already working for them, by sticking to their core expertise -- bringing programming from the net to the TV.

Let the suckers who empty their pockets for the Revue enjoy their fancy remote and their video chat. Me, not interested


How many channels with content did the Roku bring to the consumer?
:)
Just trying to judge about their expertise.
Roku pricing shows that they cannot be a serious player. They can't even afford youtube license...
On the other hand, imagine grandparents playing poker or any other game via video conferencing with video overlayed... Could be pretty exciting...


Who cares who brought it? I care what content I can get and that's it! I can get youtube on ROKU. People can get Hulu Plus soon. All from $60 rather than $300.
 
blocked
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:11 am

senorgregster wrote:

Who cares who brought it? I care what content I can get and that's it! I can get youtube on ROKU. People can get Hulu Plus soon. All from $60 rather than $300.


WHo cares if it is legal? :) Is that your question?
The price difference explains why these two products are not in direct competition.
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 am

You act like price is not a determining factor for most.. Price IS an issue for most these days. $200 for a box that has features that people may or may not use (camera not included in that price)? Or a box for $59-$99 that does much of what the $200 box does, minus some bells & whistles.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
senorgregster
Posts: 893
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:36 am

Re: Google TV gets video chat added. Roku should get this to

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:32 am

blocked wrote:
senorgregster wrote:

Who cares who brought it? I care what content I can get and that's it! I can get youtube on ROKU. People can get Hulu Plus soon. All from $60 rather than $300.


WHo cares if it is legal? :) Is that your question?
The price difference explains why these two products are not in direct competition.


No that was not my question.

Price difference does not make these two different products (yet). Unless GoogleTV really adds a lot more content they are direct competitors right now. What I see right now is that you are paying >$200 for a nice keyboard.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests