Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Youngster
Topic Author

Streaming from local pc

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:46 am

I know this has probably been covered. I am thinking of buying the Roku XDS to replace my DishNetwork. The only problem I noticed is that the XDS wont stream from my pc. Is there a work around that would allow my to access my media library on my pc? What formats will it play. Thanks for your time!

KennyJ

Re: Streaming from local pc

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 am

Actually there are a few public channels that will allow you to stream from your PC: Chaneru, MainSqueeze (audio), Sunimi. And there are several private channels Roksbox, MyMedia, etc. Additionally the XDS has a usb port and there is currently a private USB channel (soon to be public) that allows you to play media from the usb drive.

The Roku plays mp3, aac, jpeg, and mp4.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 am

KennyJ wrote:
Actually there are a few public channels that will allow you to stream from your PC: Chaneru, MainSqueeze (audio), Sunimi. And there are several private channels Roksbox, MyMedia, etc. Additionally the XDS has a usb port and there is currently a private USB channel (soon to be public) that allows you to play media from the usb drive.

On the audio side, it only supports MP3 and WMA. It doesn't support AAC, which is bizarre, because that's the required audio format for the HLS and MP4 streams it supports. It also supports GIF and PNG image files, and WMV9 SD and VC-1 HD video.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

KennyJ

Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 pm

TheEndless wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

On the audio side, it only supports MP3 and WMA. It doesn't support AAC, which is bizarre, because that's the required audio format for the HLS and MP4 streams it supports. It also supports GIF and PNG image files, and WMV9 SD and VC-1 HD video.

Thanks for the correction. I thought it supported AAC audio -- but I guess that's just for the video streams.

shelleye

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 am

I have been successfully streaming from both my pc and a NAS. In the past I used Tivo to share home media, and find that Roku (after some investment in setting it up) is much better-- more intuitive, better quality images, more flexibility. I am just loving it.

Check out the Roksbox and MyMedia threads on this forum, in which you will see how other people are using Roku to stream, and sharing solutions to problems. :)

RokuPatrick

Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:39 am

AAC/M4A should work fine for audio playback.

dupondt

Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
AAC/M4A should work fine for audio playback.

Have there been any changes since Digital Video Player Component Reference Version 2.6 was released? In section 4.15 roAudioPlayer (page 74) it says "Audio streams may be WMA or MP3 encoded".

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot