Mark Cuban on Content Distribution

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:13 am

Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out

QuantumIguana

Re: Mark Cuban on Content Distribution

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:44 am

His article claiming that the internet will not disrupt television is flawed. He engages in a sleight of hand by talking about ala carte vs. aggregators. He lumps in Netflix with the cable and satellite companies, as both are aggregators. That's true, but only in a sense. Netflix offers us a lot of content for a reasonable price, it doesn't force us to buy a whole lot of stuff that we don't want in order to get anything at all. With cable, it's $60 a month in my area. Want C-Span 3 or ESPNU? Then you need to upgrade to an even bigger package.

The internet is in fact disrupting cable and satellite by giving customers alternatives. Cable and satellite are just methods of distribution, and so is the internet. It's not about ala carte vs. aggregators, what is being disrupted is the oligopoly of cable and satellite. Netflix may not be ala carte, but's it's a lot more like ala carte than is cable or satellite.

He also claims that 20 somethings are going to not going to consume media in the same way that their parents did when they get older, and then goes right ahead and claim that they are in fact going to keep consuming media that same way that their parents do, as soon as they grow up. He claims "I’m going to let you in on a secret. The only 20 somethings that are going to consume media in 10 years the way they do today are the ones without a job, still living with their parents." This implies that 20 somethings are unemployed and living with their parents. That's a rather ridiculous blanket statement. He might be surprised to discover that 20 somethings do manage to remain employed and have their own places.

I'm in my 40's, ditched cable, and haven't looked back. He claims that as the 20 somethings get older, they will be too tired to do the difficult work of getting their media, and will just want to sit in front of cable. I don't find using Netflix, web content or OTA TV difficult at all.

JoshuaMarc1234
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 pm

QuantumIguana wrote:
His article claiming that the internet will not disrupt television is flawed. He engages in a sleight of hand by talking about ala carte vs. aggregators. He lumps in Netflix with the cable and satellite companies, as both are aggregators. That's true, but only in a sense. Netflix offers us a lot of content for a reasonable price, it doesn't force us to buy a whole lot of stuff that we don't want in order to get anything at all. With cable, it's $60 a month in my area. Want C-Span 3 or ESPNU? Then you need to upgrade to an even bigger package.
The internet is in fact disrupting cable and satellite by giving customers alternatives. Cable and satellite are just methods of distribution, and so is the internet. It's not about ala carte vs. aggregators, what is being disrupted is the oligopoly of cable and satellite. Netflix may not be ala carte, but's it's a lot more like ala carte than is cable or satellite.
He also claims that 20 somethings are going to not going to consume media in the same way that their parents did when they get older, and then goes right ahead and claim that they are in fact going to keep consuming media that same way that their parents do, as soon as they grow up. He claims "I’m going to let you in on a secret. The only 20 somethings that are going to consume media in 10 years the way they do today are the ones without a job, still living with their parents." This implies that 20 somethings are unemployed and living with their parents. That's a rather ridiculous blanket statement. He might be surprised to discover that 20 somethings do manage to remain employed and have their own places.
I'm in my 40's, ditched cable, and haven't looked back. He claims that as the 20 somethings get older, they will be too tired to do the difficult work of getting their media, and will just want to sit in front of cable. I don't find using Netflix, web content or OTA TV difficult at all.

You make interesting points QI, thanks!
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out

-LD

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Wow, in his entire rant about Netflix winning the streaming wars he doesn't even MENTION Hulu. WTF?

Hulu+ is already charging customers for access to network streaming content on STBs. Netflix isn't going to "win" that war. As I see it now, Hulu and Netflix are best positioned to share tops spots in the streaming space and are complementary rather than competing services.

Google is a bag of hurt when it comes to Google TV. It's going to fail. Period.

FX4

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:13 pm

-LD wrote:
Wow, in his entire rant about Netflix winning the streaming wars he doesn't even MENTION Hulu. WTF?

Hulu+ is already charging customers for access to network streaming content on STBs. Netflix isn't going to "win" that war. As I see it now, Hulu and Netflix are best positioned to share tops spots in the streaming space and are complementary rather than competing services.

Google is a bag of hurt when it comes to Google TV. It's going to fail. Period.

They compete and yet they are complimentary services. I wouldn't want just one or the other.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

QuantumIguana

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:53 pm

I didn't say anything about the middle link, where he talks about Netflix and Google. In the first link where he talks about internet TV vs. cable/satellite and the third where he talks about younger people's TV habits as they get older are just plain wrong: internet TV is already subverting the cabble/satellite oligopoly, and younger people are not likely to abandon newer technology as they get older. Older people are less likely to adopt new tech than are younger people, but people are unlikely to revert to older tech as they get older.

The middle link wasn't even wrong, it just had a lot of ranting, multiple times of calling people "STUPID" in all caps. It didn't make me inclined to pay much attention to it at all.

vnzjunk

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:30 pm

re: where he talks about younger people's TV habits as they get older are just plain wrong

In my estimation Cuban is wrong about a lot of things but certainly entitled to his opinions. I think he speaks from his own prejudices and his own financial well being. So I consider the source. Good for Cuban just might not be good for you and me. On top of that I find his writing very confusing and hard to follow. At times it made me dizzy trying to figure out what he was saying. JMHO

QuantumIguana

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 am

vnzjunk wrote:
re: where he talks about younger people's TV habits as they get older are just plain wrong

In my estimation Cuban is wrong about a lot of things but certainly entitled to his opinions. I think he speaks from his own prejudices and his own financial well being. So I consider the source. Good for Cuban just might not be good for you and me. On top of that I find his writing very confusing and hard to follow. At times it made me dizzy trying to figure out what he was saying. JMHO

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, no one said he wasn't. But just because he is entitled to his opinion doesn't keep him from being wrong. He claims that 20 somethings only use media the way they do because they are a bunch of unemployed slackers living with their parents, which is awfully absurd. He then claims that the 20 somethings will revert to older ways of consuming media once they get a job and get their own place. While it is true that as people get older, they are less inclined to adopt new technology, it's also true that people are very unlikely to revert to older technology.

Saqqara

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Who says the internet can't provide entertainment to the dog tired passive viewer? Ever hear of Pandora? No reason streaming video can't do the same thing. I've been lobbying on this forum for exactly that (since I'm too dog tired and passive to try to build it myself, and couldn't anyway given netflix drm). Many websites with video content have a play all feature.

The bit about Netflix gobbling up all the bandwidth and therefore blocking competition... Dude, a customer jumps ship from netflix to something new, the bandwidth utilization moves from Netflix and goes to the something new... because there is less demand from netflix and more demand from the next big thing. At the point that Netflix saturates the intertubes, their own users experience craters. They can't block competitors in that way... If 20% of all highway traffic is people driving to Disney World, that's no strategic advantage to Disney, it's just a measure of current success. In fact Orlando's probably the last place anyone would want to drive.