Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

keithshields
Topic Author

Hulu+ Content

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I had a quick question about Hulu+ content that I haven't seen directly addressed in any of my research. Will subscribing to Hulu+ on Roku provide access to all of content provided by Hulu or just the "premium" content flagged for Hulu+? In other words, will ordinary Hulu content be a proper subset of the Hulu+ content or will there be things on Hulu that I won't be able to access if I subscribe to Hulu+? It'd be nice to be able use the Roku to stream everything offered on Hulu, but it's not clear to me if that's the plan or not.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Hulu+ Content

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm

No, just the Plus content you see here:
http://www.hulu.com/plus

See this note about half way down the page.
Currently we don't have the rights to make all shows on Hulu.com available on all devices — we're working hard to continue clearing shows for mobile and TV access. The full list of shows currently available on all devices can be found here.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

bullardc

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:22 pm

There's a whole lot more content then what's on that link though. I'm currently in the preview. I love it!!!

keithshields
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:26 pm

bullardc wrote:
There's a whole lot more content then what's on that link though. I'm currently in the preview. I love it!!!

Are you able to do the preview on Roku or just via your PC or game console?

scyber

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 pm

bullardc wrote:

There is more than what is listed here?
http://www.hulu.com/plus#content

Can you please provide some examples?

heyotwell

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 pm

I'm interested in the answer to this too. My impression is that "Hulu Plus" doesn't mean "more content" but rather "more devices." I don't think that all the content you can watch on the Hulu.com website is technically available via Hulu Plus. For example, the iPad app actually only streams a limited set of content--the shows specifically listed in the link in the posts above. It's actually a *subset* of content available on the website (aside from also providing older seasons of some shows).

Obviously what we'd like is for the Roku's Hulu Plus to contain all the content on the website in addition to the stuff in the Hulu Plus list, but I don't think that will be the case. I think that Roku's Hulu Plus will likely contain *only* the shows here http://www.hulu.com/plus#content

jcmolet

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:46 pm

It is a pretty simple deal. The content marked with the green/white hulu Plus icon is available on devices that support hulu Plus.

Hulu never claimed that hulu Plus would support all the content available on the website. The '+' in hulu Plus comes from the fact that you get access to some shows immediately after the original airing and you get the entire season of shows, vice just the five most recent like on the hulu.com website.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:50 pm

jcmolet wrote:
The '+' in hulu Plus comes from the fact that you get access to some shows immediately after the original airing and you get the entire season of shows, vice just the five most recent like on the hulu.com website.

and HD...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jcmolet

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm

TheEndless wrote:
jcmolet wrote:
The '+' in hulu Plus comes from the fact that you get access to some shows immediately after the original airing and you get the entire season of shows, vice just the five most recent like on the hulu.com website.

and HD...

correct, my friend. I had forgot that fact.

jhernes

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Interesting.....thanks for the info. JC. I'm looking forward to see this implement.. Asap.....on Roku. :)
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

bullardc

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I never said that all of the content from the site was or would be in hulu plus, I just stated that there seemed to be shows in the list of over 320 that were not within that link. Some shows are added, and some are taken away. Community isn't on there any longer for example, and it was for a while. There are also over 500 movies on hulu plus right now as well. No mention of that on the site. The site doesn't seem to be updated everytime they've added a catalog show, etc. That was all I was saying. It's a great service so far. I have it on the ps3 and I'm enjoying it. You'll have to wait and see for yourselves the differences in the list if any by the time roku gets the service. They're adding things all of the time. So I think you'll enjoy it.

mchasal

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:24 am

It's right on their site:
+ More of your "favorite" shows, longer episode retention
+ More devices
+ More pixels

The thing to remember is that it's not whether you're a plus member or not that determines if a show is available, it's the device that the content owners agreed to. Of course, only plus folks get the TV/Mobile option at all. You don't lose anything with Hulu+, you can still watch everything that you watched on the PC, on the PC. It's just that you can't watch everything on the TV that you can watch on the PC. I suspect this will improve over time as old agreements expire and new ones are negotiated.