Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JimShaw
Topic Author

HDMI HOOK UP. I need help and info.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:20 pm

Right now I have the ROKU HDMI hooked directly to the TV and for sound, I run an optical cable to my receiver.

Is there any way to run both the video and sound through HDMI to the receiver or how I have it is the only way?

kringles

Re: HDMI HOOK UP. I need help and info.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:37 pm

The Roku will pass audio through HDMI. One of my setups has a Roku DVP, Bluray player and cable STB all connected to a reciever via HDMI. The reciever feeds the TV via a single HDMI cable. In my case I can use either the reciever to feed a 5.1 speaker set or for a quiter late night viewing use the TV speakers. It depends on if your reciever has the proper inputs/outputs.

jhernes

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Roku>HDMI>HTC open slots>HDMI>TV.
If your cable capable of connecting thru HDMI much better or DVI/HDMI>TV: Cable>HDMI or DVI/ HDMI>HTC labeled cable or something you preferred to use.

Enjoy....
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:38 pm

From what I have read from your posts. The answer is Yes. Roku box will send both video and AUDIO throught HDMI to the receiver.

I must have something not set up correctly. I could never get audio working through the HDMI cable. I now have the video throught the HDMI directly to
the TV and audio by way of an optical cable to the receiver to the speakers. When I have tried to send both throught the HDMI to the receiver, the audio would not work.

You say it should work. I will pull the optical cable and retry again. HDMI from Roky directly to the receiver.

keithshields

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:23 pm

@Jim - yes, HDMI should work for both audio and video from the Roku to your receiver.

Did sound come out of your TV speakers when you had the HDMI cable connected directly from the Roku to your TV? That'd be a good test to help ensure that Roku box and HDMI cable are working as expected. If the sound came out of the TV speakers, then you can isolate the problem to you receiver setup.

Good luck!

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:20 pm

keithshields wrote:
@Jim - yes, HDMI should work for both audio and video from the Roku to your receiver.

Did sound come out of your TV speakers when you had the HDMI cable connected directly from the Roku to your TV? That'd be a good test to help ensure that Roku box and HDMI cable are working as expected. If the sound came out of the TV speakers, then you can isolate the problem to you receiver setup.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I will test the TV/sound set up. Good Idea.

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:28 pm

Here is a post that I did in May of 2010 when I first received the Roku

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28415

In the beginning I had trouble with the Roku and connections

keithshields

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm

@Jim - What model receiver do you have? Based on your earlier posts, it sounds like you got the Roku to TV direct connection working but the receiver was an "issue" back then as well. I assume at some point between May and now you reconnected to the receiver and eventually got it working with HDMI driving the video and the optical cable driving the audio but have never had success with HDMI as the only connection between your Roku and receiver. In other words, this is the same fundamental problem you've always had and nothing has suddenly stopped working, right?

One thing to look into is whether your receiver is properly set up so the receiver output you're using for the Roku is configured to get both its video and audio inputs from the correct source (the Roku). My Sony receiver lets me customize each output and tell it which of the inputs on the back of the receiver are used for the video and audio source for that output. Might not be your problem, but it's something to look into.

CalvinMcGowan

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:55 pm

keithshields wrote:
@Jim - What model receiver do you have? Based on your earlier posts, it sounds like you got the Roku to TV direct connection working but the receiver was an "issue" back then as well. I assume at some point between May and now you reconnected to the receiver and eventually got it working with HDMI driving the video and the optical cable driving the audio but have never had success with HDMI as the only connection between your Roku and receiver. In other words, this is the same fundamental problem you've always had and nothing has suddenly stopped working, right?

One thing to look into is whether your receiver is properly set up so the receiver output you're using for the Roku is configured to get both its video and audio inputs from the correct source (the Roku). My Sony receiver lets me customize each output and tell it which of the inputs on the back of the receiver are used for the video and audio source for that output. Might not be your problem, but it's something to look into.

Keith Shields!? Are you the Keith Shields that used to live in Polk County, Florida?
Last edited by CalvinMcGowan on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:58 pm

Correct. I have always had the problem. I found away around it by using a digital cable

My receiver is a Marantz SR7002. I just picked up a Denon 5308 and I wanted to make the connections correct this time.

I will go back and do the TV/sound test and then I will double check the audio source for the connection.

Thanks for your input. I have always thought that that was the way ROKU did it. Now that I know it isn't, I will find the problem.

Thanks

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 pm

keithshields wrote:

I have completed a test. The receiver off. The HDMI cable connected directly to the TV from ROKU. The TV has ROKU video but no sound, as before. Changed out HDMI cables and still nothing.

My quess is the ROKU box may have been defective from the start. Possible?

keithshields

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, I've only had my Roku a few weeks, so I'm hardly an expert on it's various failure modes. Hopefully others will weigh in with their thoughts. I have noticed that my Roku HDMI audio (including the navigation sound effects) occasionally drops out and I have to cycle through my receiver's HDMI inputs to get it back. I've also seen a few forum posts that make it sound like the Roku has occasional HDMI handshaking issues with some receivers/TVs, so that could be what you're running into.

All that said, I don't think there's anything fundamentally "wrong" with doing the setup the way you had it - HDMI for video, optical out for audio - as long as you're not noticing any issues with the audio being out of sync with the audio.

Best of luck...

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:32 pm

keithshields wrote:
Well, I've only had my Roku a few weeks, so I'm hardly an expert on it's various failure modes. Hopefully others will weigh in with their thoughts. I have noticed that my Roku HDMI audio (including the navigation sound effects) occasionally drops out and I have to cycle through my receiver's HDMI inputs to get it back. I've also seen a few forum posts that make it sound like the Roku has occasional HDMI handshaking issues with some receivers/TVs, so that could be what you're running into.

All that said, I don't think there's anything fundamentally "wrong" with doing the setup the way you had it - HDMI for video, optical out for audio - as long as you're not noticing any issues with the audio being out of sync with the audio.

Best of luck...

How I have it set up is really not bad. No problems at all except every once in awhile it might get a little out of sync but that is easly taken care of. Grab the remote and in a couple seconds all is in sync. But that only happen once in a long while.

Maybe I should just let things alone.

Anyway. Thanks for input and thoughts.

Jim

JimShaw
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:34 pm

P.S.: mine never drops out but I am hard wired are you wireless?

keithshields

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm

No, I'm hard wired too.