Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Just updated to 2.8

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Rob Locke wrote:
2. Is it me, or are the thumbnails in Netflix wider since the 2.8 update (ergo with a slightly stretched aspect ratio)? Doesn't really matter but just wondered if anyone else noticed that.

The cover art is definitely wider in 2.8, but I'm not sure if they were too tall in 2.7 or are too wide in 2.8... :P I suspect the former, hence the change...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:55 pm

The posters were in fact resized slightly to conform to Netflix specifications.

Rob Locke

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:43 pm

RokuJamesL wrote:
The posters were in fact resized slightly to conform to Netflix specifications.

Thanks James. At least I know I'm not going mad now. :lol:
Los Angeles, CA
Time Warner Cable Wideband (50mbps down / 5mbps up)
Roku 2 XS / Roku XD|S
Linksys E3000 Router

drofli

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:29 pm

I've just tried manual updating but the screen tells me there is no update available. What gives?

keithshields

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:54 pm

@drofli - maybe the update was automatically pushed to you already. What version does it show in the "Player Info" screen (under "Settings" off the home screen)?

drofli

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 pm

2.7 build 857. Just pulled power from it, reconnected and reset network settings, to see if that helped. it didn't. Keeps telling me my software is up to date.

jhernes

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:12 pm

drofli wrote:
2.7 build 857. Just pulled power from it, reconnected and reset network settings, to see if that helped. it didn't. Keeps telling me my software is up to date.

Try again later...Maybe they're doing something in the server.
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

CalvinMcGowan

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:18 pm

jhernes wrote:
drofli wrote:

Try again later...Maybe they're doing something in the server.

Highly likely. Roku probably halted any further automatic or manual updates because the current v2.8b1150 firmware release appears to be borked; something about it not being able to play certain types of videos that the previous firmware release could play without problem. I'm betting a new firmware build will be released very soon.

atlantajoseph

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Netflix is stuck on the "retrieving" screen for me after the update. The channel store and other channels work fine. I tried unplugging and reconnecting to the wireless, but no dice. Any thoughts? This is very frustrating.

mkiker2089

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:30 pm

atlantajoseph wrote:
Netflix is stuck on the "retrieving" screen for me after the update. The channel store and other channels work fine. I tried unplugging and reconnecting to the wireless, but no dice? Any thoughts? This is very frustrating.

Just go into the network settings and go through that. No need to unplug anything. It worked for me. On mine Revision 3 gave a DNS error and Netflix was stuck as well.

Also be aware that Netflix can take some time to load, as in 5 minutes.

I don't think the update is borked. If you can't get it then perhaps the server is overloaded. Everyone is trying to get it all at once. It always happens when new firmware is announced.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

kc8pql

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:41 pm

CalvinMcGowan wrote:
Roku probably halted any further automatic or manual updates because the current v2.8b1150 firmware release appears to be borked; something about it not being able to play certain types of videos that the previous firmware release could play without problem.

I doubt it. I believe the channels having problems are all third party private channels.
Last edited by kc8pql on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

TheEndless

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:45 pm

kc8pql wrote:
I doubt it. I believe he channels that are having problems are all third party private channels.

Why would them being third party private channels matter? I'm pretty sure if it broke any video playback, private or otherwise, they'd take that pretty seriously (even if they did remove the "video" from the official product name :P). Two of my channels were affected by the change, so I'm pretty anxious for them to identify and fix the issue.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

kc8pql

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Do they check private channels before an update to make sure nothing broke, or is it up to the developer to make it known after the fact?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

TheEndless

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Do they check private channels before an update to make sure nothing broke, or is it up to the developer after the fact?

I suppose that depends on who they have beta testing, but my point is that they've had quite a few people (and developers) reporting video issues, so they may have temporarily pulled the firmware update until they identify the problem, just in case it's more widespread than they realize.

atlantajoseph

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:00 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Just go into the network settings and go through that. No need to unplug anything. It worked for me. On mine Revision 3 gave a DNS error and Netflix was stuck as well.

Also be aware that Netflix can take some time to load, as in 5 minutes.

I don't think the update is borked. If you can't get it then perhaps the server is overloaded. Everyone is trying to get it all at once. It always happens when new firmware is announced.

I let it go for 20+ minutes before giving up. Guess I'll just try every once in a while to see if anything changes. Thanks for the reply and info.