Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chris0071
Topic Author

Reorder channels w/o 12-button remote? (was "This Sucks!")

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:49 pm

So the only way you can re-order the channel store is with the new remote?

Well, if I'd known that, I would have bought the next model up. I didn't need the options, as I have SDTVs only right now, so any of the upper models weren't all that vital to me. I would have liked the better remote, but $20 more wasn't worth it to me just for the replay feature.

So I bought my Roku. Now, a week later, I find out that I need the better remote to re-order my channels.

That sucks. I'm not happy.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: This sucks!

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm

If you have an iPhone, you can get the DVPRemote application for it, which includes the extra buttons. Otherwise, you could use the telnet interface to remotely send the extra buttons. Or, you could use a universal remote that has the new remote buttons (i.e., a Harmony). There may be other options...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

hn333

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Cool story bro, but do you really need to re order your channels. How many cahannels do you have? I have about 5 If its really that important to you just buy the remote. No big deal.

chris0071
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:00 pm

No iPhone. I don't want another remote.

They said that they were working on being able to re-order the channels. They never once, that I saw, said that it would be limited to the new remote.

I could have spend the extra $20 and got the next higher unit. I didn't really need the features of that unit, so I didn't buy it. No one with Roku ever even hinted (that I saw anyway) that the better remote would be necessary for re-ordering the channel store.

Now, I can go buy another remote and spend what I would have to get the next higher unit. I can buy a remote from Roku, and by the time shipping and handling is added in I am probably at the price of the middle unit. Regardless of which way i go I will be at, or more than, the price I would have paid if I had known that they were going to make that particular feature available ONLY with the better remote.

This sucks. I am flower tempted to return the unit I just bought and get my money back. That's how ticked off I am.

kbenson

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:17 pm

chris0071 wrote:
No iPhone. I don't want another remote.

They said that they were working on being able to re-order the channels. They never once, that I saw, said that it would be limited to the new remote.

I could have spend the extra $20 and got the next higher unit. I didn't really need the features of that unit, so I didn't buy it. No one with Roku ever even hinted (that I saw anyway) that the better remote would be necessary for re-ordering the channel store.

Now, I can go buy another remote and spend what I would have to get the next higher unit. I can buy a remote from Roku, and by the time shipping and handling is added in I am probably at the price of the middle unit. Regardless of which way i go I will be at, or more than, the price I would have paid if I had known that they were going to make that particular feature available ONLY with the better remote.

This sucks. I am flower tempted to return the unit I just bought and get my money back. That's how ticked off I am.

The whole channel setup is in flux. Just because you can't currently, doesn't mean you won't be able to for the foreseeable future. There may be a simple remote you can install on a computer on your local network. Since it would only be needed for re-ordering channels, it's not like the inconvenience of being on a computer will really matter most the time. There are other solutions currently available, and nothing stating that there will be no support for your situation in the future.

Just calm down about it and think it through. Getting immediately upset and ranting about it on this forum won't get you much in the way of help, and has probably already doomed this thread to the irrelevancy of a flame war.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!

chris0071
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:26 pm

I bought the HD (my 2nd unit) because I was under the impression that I would have this function. When this function was discussed on this forum, it was never discussed as only being available with the upgraded remote.

Like I said, I should not have to buy another remote in order to get this function. If I do, I will definitely no longer recommend this product to my family and friends. That really is how strongly I feel about it.

chris0071
Topic Author

Re: Reorder channels w/o 12-button remote? (was "This Sucks!

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Well, I'm glad that renaming the thread was more important than answering my concern.

jcmolet

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:33 pm

chris0071 wrote:
I bought the HD (my 2nd unit) because I was under the impression that I would have this function. When this function was discussed on this forum, it was never discussed as only being available with the upgraded remote.

Like I said, I should not have to buy another remote in order to get this function. If I do, I will definitely no longer recommend this product to my family and friends. That really is how strongly I feel about it.

Instead of getting any more worked up and making a rash move like sending your DVP back, why not just drop the $20 on the 12 button remote and enjoy all the Roku goodness coming your way:

http://shop.roku.com/Webpage2.aspx?WebpageId=2

chris0071
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Becauee why would I pay the price for an XD and wind up with an HD with the remote?

That is, essentially, my choice at this time.

bozzy

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm

chris0071 wrote:
Well, I'm glad that renaming the thread was more important than answering my concern.

I'm glad someone renamed it. Otherwise, I would of never read it.

imdaman99

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm

If you're within your 30 days, why not just return it and get the next model up? It's not as it hasn't been done before :)

jcmolet

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:43 pm

chris0071 wrote:
Becauee why would I pay the price for an XD and wind up with an HD with the remote?

That is, essentially, my choice at this time.

Well, it looks like you have a tough decision in front of you. It seems to me the easiest and fastest solution is just pop over to the Roku site, place your order and have the remote in hand in a few days...or return the old unit, wait out the shipment and processing times, get the refund, purchase the new Roku DVP, wait for the shipment....

Good luck.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:05 pm

chris0071 wrote:

So am I :lol:

keithshields

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:07 pm

@Chris - I'm not going to try to talk you down off the ledge since you're clearly upset, but take a few deep breaths and sleep on any decision before you act on it. If you find you can't pick up your Roku remote tomorrow without seething with anger, then you'll know what to do...

Someone else mention the DVPRemote app - you said you didn't have an iPhone, but I think that app also works if you have an iPad touch. Not sure if that applies to you, but wanted to make you sure you had all the info.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other other 3rd party apps in the works to support rearranging channels. Roku just recently released an updated software development kit and it seems like it should have all the necessary support to allow someone to write a program to mimic the channel rearranging functions. I can't guarantee that will be the case, but it's another possibility.

kbenson

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:36 pm

chris0071 wrote:

Discussed by who? Did some Roku employee state that every new and old model would have the ability to reorder channels? I don't remember reading that, but then again, I don't remember reading anywhere that reordering channels was going to be in a future firmware. I must have missed it.

I DO remember them stating that new remotes and the features available with the new remote would work when used on any older unit.

I'm having a hard time taking this too seriously. I'm not trying to be condescending, but I really can't imagine getting that worked up over a minor feature in a firmware release that just doesn't happen to be supported by my current setup. I understand you are upset, but we are talking about a feature that in no way affects the actual functionality of the device, it just allows some small customization to make it slightly more navigable. That's really a deal breaker for you?
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!