Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Private Channel- Simple Video Streamer

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 pm

https://owner.roku.com/Account/ChannelCode/?code=DQMFC

here is a private channel to stream using the AVC streamer using the iPhone streaming as well as a direct URL.

the AVC Streamer can be found here

http://www.avcstreamer.com/

has lots of interesting features so check them out, will allow for remote viewing using a webcam, screencasting, remote usage of your Capture card at home ala slingbox if you travel with your Roku.

Just in Beta check it out, for now its set up to play a video if you dont have one.

you can add a .mp4 or .wmv file in the Internet streaming, i would suggest using the Pc Stream to do any .m3u8 streaming or Live HLS streaming

I would like to get working with Jumi (http://www.jumitech.com/) or other similar iPhone Cam streaming, and will do my best to make it so you can add videos other than only by remote as well as playlist support.

anyone interested in contributing let me know. so many new options coming out daily that could work with this.

EDIT: need to add so you don't need to add "http://" ... if you have a Iphone/iPad/iPod get the Roku Remote it makes this much easier when typing!

maybe will add a podcast option as well if people are interested, so have fun. Hope its useful to someone
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway

CaineMutiny

Re: Private Channel- Simple Video Streamer

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Would one be able to play files that one has stored in the cloud?

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:00 pm

you should be able to play any video format allowed by Roku from any Internet source.

I have used it for some videos i have hosted. works good. Right now its set to play a .mp4 superman movie from archive.org so you can at least see it working.

I haven't gotten the AVC streaming working because i have some firewall issue I havent fixed yet. hopefully someone gets that going and can post a tutorial and how they did it.

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33676&start=0

this can come in handy for long web Urls's

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:59 pm

also this site could come in handy as well for anyone interested in another possible solution

http://www.iphonewebtown.com/

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:32 am

Thanks for putting this together!

Do you have a FAQ or basic setup guide for using the channel with the AVC Streamer? I get the Superman movie on the internet stream, but get NASA feeds on the PC Streaming - I have the server up and running, but I'm not sure exactly what to enter in the URL field, or what I need to click/enable/etc. in the AVC Streamer UI to get everything to work correctly.

Thanks again - if this works, it could be a nice solution for a few things I've been wanting to do.

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 am

you have to go to settings and change the urls.

the superman and Nasa are just placeholders, for the internet you just add the url to the .mp4 file or .wmv

but as far as the AVC streamer goes I cant get it to work on mine because of firewall issues is best i can figure out because i can't view the stream on my iphone

the avc website says you can open it at http://192.168.1.3:8080/httplive/out.m3u8

you would change the url in the settings to the direction you have and the port as well, if you have changed the port in the settings.

http://avcstreamer.com/howto.php?p2=st should help you out more with the AVC end of it...

Im waiting to see if anyone puts up a tutorial on how to use that, it has lots of potential as a free option for streaming

veggieguy

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:47 pm

As a test for this, I tried the following .m3u8 as the PC Stream URL:

http://d1kk5knlqdw6w5.cloudfront.net/MA ... 1240k.m3u8

This is the latest Sherlock episode from PBS. It did indeed start playing, but it seems to get hung up when fetching the next video segment. It just loops the same segment over and over. If you fast-forward, it will start playing other segments, but then loops that segment when the end is hit. At least I assume this is happening at segment breaks.

Is this an issue with the Simple Video Streamer channel, or something else?

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I will test that link, but i know that the new upgrade to 2.8 was giving several issues when it came to streaming ...

i added this and tested it and yes its something to do with the stream or roku cause i added it in just a simple video player and it just goes back and loops....

veggieguy

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 pm

FWIW, I just tossed it into a simple HTML5 video tag, and it plays without looping in Safari. The audio gets out of sync though.

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:34 pm

well then until we know what are all the issues with the new 2.8 upgrade i guess will need to blame it on that..

i also just quickly tossed it into VLC and it played as well, not as good as it should but thats a VLC limitation.

so best i can figure out is the 2.8 upgrade as it has seemed to give a lot of issues to HLS streaming if you check out the Dev Forum

MikeHaiku

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:55 am

dynamitemedia wrote:
so best i can figure out is the 2.8 upgrade as it has seemed to give a lot of issues to HLS streaming if you check out the Dev Forum

I am just getting started trying to stream my desktop from my Windows Vista PC to my Roku and noticed that my box is using 2.9, so have the issues with HLS have been fixed? What I am trying to do is use the Roku to put my Windows desktop onto my TV.

I am trying to use your Simple Video Streamer channel with VLC, since AVC Streamer has now been taken over by Nex Gen Bits and there is no documentation accessible on the web (I was still able to find an alpha version of AVC streamer but was not able to get it to work with your channel either).

With VLC 1.1.8 set to stream my desktop using HTTP as the destination, I have tried to play it on your Simple Video Streamer channel using my PC's IP address:port as the server URL but Simple Video Streamer immediately returns to it's main screen after hitting play.

Is there a path and filename that I need to specify in the Path field on the VLC configuration or in the server URL setting for your channel to use VLC HLS streaming with your Simple Video Streamer channel? Or are there other options in VLC that I need to set in order for it to work with your channel? I have set the screen width and height in the transcoding options but have left everything else as defaults because I can't find any VLC documentation that describes how else they should be set.

Thank you. I see that you are about to beta another channel that may also do what I am trying to do, but was wondering if this channel can do it now with the correct configuration on both VLC and the channel's server URL setting.

-- Mike :?

dynamitemedia
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 pm

no you should go over and check out the new channel, were held up till early next week because were going live for the first time on iPPV and the roku, so our attention is on that till sunday at least

thanks

MikeHaiku

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 am

dynamitemedia wrote:
no you should go over and check out the new channel, were held up till early next week because were going live for the first time on iPPV and the roku, so our attention is on that till sunday at least

OK, I'll be watching for the new private channel code to be made available. Thanks.

vbathory

Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:36 am

is avc streamer still around i went to there site and it says not available for public viewing and redirects me to a corporate site.