Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dentonbros
Topic Author

2.8 creating extremely long buffer times

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:55 am

Love the 2.8 upgrade. The UI is still simple, yet a great improvement. However, I am experiencing extremely long buffer times on almost all channels. I have not edited the bitrate at all. I rarely get HD video from the YouTube channel even though the video is available in HD. When "playing through" several YouTube videos, the menu usually locks up until i click the Home button, and am forced to exit the YouTube channel, then re-enter and find where i was in my queue. Sunimi channel video lags, and often stops the video several times in the midst of playing to re-buffer.

Anyone experiencing the same?

dentonbros
Topic Author

Re: 2.8 creating extremely long buffer times

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:14 am

It seems to be lagging on the initial "buffering" screen. However, if I fast-forward then rewind then play the buffering returns to normal speed. This seems to indicate that 2.8 has created a hangup in the initial load of a video or is forcing videos to buffer extremely longer than required in the past.

Moving forward, I would love for Roku to develop a "Queue" system or support the "Play Through" channel feature to pre-buffer the next video in line to create a bufferless viewing environment between multiple queued videos.

mkiker2089

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 am

I started seeing that yesterday but I don't think it's related to the update. I say that because the day before 2.8 worked fine. Revision 3 and Netflix are both slow for me but those are the only two channels I use.

If it is an issue it's one that took a while to show up. Perhaps a reboot will show. I'll test more later.

Does anyone know if Netflix is having server issues?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

mtg1974

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I have been experiencing the same with Netflix and Amazon.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:01 pm

After an update, the box needs to recalculate your connection speed. It usually takes 5 or 10 mins. of watching to get it right.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mkiker2089

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 pm

kc8pql wrote:
After an update, the box needs to recalculate your connection speed. It usually takes 5 or 10 mins. of watching to get it right.

If it's what I'm seeing that isn't the issue. It's like the box has an extra delay built in. You know how it buffers a chunk, pauses, determines the speed, then really buffers. Now it's getting stuck after the first chunk.
-Marshall-

TheEndless

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:15 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
If it's what I'm seeing that isn't the issue. It's like the box has an extra delay built in. You know how it buffers a chunk, pauses, determines the speed, then really buffers. Now it's getting stuck after the first chunk.

Sounds like this issue...? http://support.roku.com/entries/236448- ... hould-i-do
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mkiker2089

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:10 pm

TheEndless wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

Sounds like this issue...? http://support.roku.com/entries/236448- ... hould-i-do

First, we can assume people have tried all that. I know I have as it's general troubleshooting.

Second, not exactly because it isn't stuck exactly. It's just a longer delay. I'm still getting HD and still reading a 7-9 mbps when I turn debugging on. It just takes longer to get to that point sometimes. It isn't all the time either and is more prominent with Revision 3 than Netflix but has occurred on both.
-Marshall-

TheEndless

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:50 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
First, we can assume people have tried all that. I know I have as it's general troubleshooting.

I wasn't trying to offend you. It's never safe to assume anyone has tried anything around here. I've lost count of the number of people who've reported issues that were fixed simply by unplugging and replugging the device.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mkiker2089

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:42 pm

TheEndless wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

I wasn't trying to offend you. It's never safe to assume anyone has tried anything around here. I've lost count of the number of people who've reported issues that were fixed simply by unplugging and replugging the device.

No offense taken. I write in a business manner so if I seemed offended I didn't intend to.

You are correct about never assuming. I learned that from Benny Hill. ass-u-me

I'm still not convinced that it's a 2.8 issue though. I suspect it's more of a network issue. Revision 3's forums have some complaints from last week and Netflix has been battling bugs for a month now.

Flixster is doing the same thing but it's been slow before. I don't use it enough to know if that's normal behavior for them though.

the fact that it hangs at that one point but still reports high-ish speeds is telling. Alas I'm not smart enough to know exactly what. Is it perhaps too many users so it waits for a connection?
-Marshall-

Frazier

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:43 pm

I am experiencing the same thing, it took so long to load I just turned it off. Not very cool!!

Frazier

phattysalz

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I have been having issues since the 2.8 update. I have only had the Roku XDS for a few weeks but I have been really impressed with how well it has worked. Never had an issue with Netflix, Amazon VOD, Flixster, etc... I updated to 2.8 Friday night. It would not reconnect to wireless router (using DLink DIR-655 with N speed). I tried several router/modem power cycle sequences with power cycles on Roku box. Left it unplugged overnight and Saturday morning it finally connected when I powered up.

Now every video channel has extremely long buffer time and then it rebuffers every 10-20 seconds. After a couple re-buffers, it drops the quality down to 2 dots but it still rebuffers every 20 seconds. I am quite network savvy and have run several speed tests from 2 other wireless devices on my network. No problems. I had just watched an HD Netflix stream 2 hours before I updated to 2.8. Now nothing is watchable.

2.8 update definitely messed up the Roku XDS wireless functionality on my device. I went from having no issues and being able to stream really nice HD quality video to not being able to watch anything (unless you want to watch a buffer bar come up every 20 seconds).

The location of my Roku box makes it difficult to run a Cat5 cable to it to try a wired connection. The wireless N connection has been fine before the update. It also seems others have had similar issues since the update.

Oh well, I guess I will try Roku's support. If it doesn't get resolved I will be forced to try a different streaming solution.

dentonbros
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:09 pm

phattysalz wrote:
I have been having issues since the 2.8 update. I have only had the Roku XDS for a few weeks but I have been really impressed with how well it has worked. Never had an issue with Netflix, Amazon VOD, Flixster, etc... I updated to 2.8 Friday night. It would not reconnect to wireless router (using DLink DIR-655 with N speed). I tried several router/modem power cycle sequences with power cycles on Roku box. Left it unplugged overnight and Saturday morning it finally connected when I powered up.

Now every video channel has extremely long buffer time and then it rebuffers every 10-20 seconds. After a couple re-buffers, it drops the quality down to 2 dots but it still rebuffers every 20 seconds. I am quite network savvy and have run several speed tests from 2 other wireless devices on my network. No problems. I had just watched an HD Netflix stream 2 hours before I updated to 2.8. Now nothing is watchable.

2.8 update definitely messed up the Roku XDS wireless functionality on my device. I went from having no issues and being able to stream really nice HD quality video to not being able to watch anything (unless you want to watch a buffer bar come up every 20 seconds).

The location of my Roku box makes it difficult to run a Cat5 cable to it to try a wired connection. The wireless N connection has been fine before the update. It also seems others have had similar issues since the update.

Oh well, I guess I will try Roku's support. If it doesn't get resolved I will be forced to try a different streaming solution.

Please let me know what support says. I'm still having extremely long buffer times. It's not a Netflix or YoutTube issue, because I have both Netflix and Youtube built into my LG HDTV. I have zero problems playing either direct from the LG Netcast. From the Roku, however, the buffer times are 30 seconds or longer. NOT COOL!!

Please Roku. Please fix this, or offer a 2.7 downgrade ASAP.

Frazier

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Just wondering if any fixes have worked for anyone as far as the long buffer times. Also I watched a trailer and the picture was all squished toward the middle of the screen, any ideas on how to fix that|?

Thank You,

Frazier

Frazier

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix the buffering with the new 2.8 update? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Frazier