Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: 2.8 creating extremely long buffer times

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 pm

rdwilson wrote:
So far we have identified issues caused by 2.8 that are affecting a "small percentage" of users.
1. Long buffer times
2. Inability to contact Netflix over the Internet
3. "Squished" video on titles that rendered fine on version 2.7

1. I don't know how to quantify this one. What's a "long buffer time" compared to pre-2.8 buffering (5 seconds longer? 30 seconds longer? 2 minutes longer?), and what streams are specifically affected (Live streams, static streams, local streams, etc)? There are too many variables, and the experience is too subjective to blame this one on 2.8. There's also no way to know if longer buffer times are the result of a bug that was fixed or the introduction of a new bug.
2. This has been identified as a Netflix issue and has nothing to do with the Roku or 2.8. It has been discussed many times on this forum that all Netflix players (Roku, Wii, PS3, XBox, DVD players, etc) use different streams for their playback. The fact that it works on one and not the other is not a clear indication that it's an issue with the device itself. Netflix even recently announced that they'll be moving away from Akamai due to all of the streaming issues of late.
3. This is the only "known" issue with 2.8, and Roku is working hard to fix it. Roku has also mentioned that they are refining the beta testing process to help identity and prevent issues like this for third-party developers in the future.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

renojim

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm seeing "long" buffering times in Netflix, but I'm not convinced most of the problem doesn't rest with Netflix. However, after going through the process of fixing myMedia, there's definitely a difference in how 2.8 requests videos with respect to 2.7. Even on my local network, 2.8 takes longer to start playing videos than 2.7. It turns out it's only a couple of seconds (and wireless is slower than wired), but it's still noticeable. It makes me wonder how much worse it gets when you're talking about an Internet connection versus a local connection with virtually no latency.

-JT

dentonbros
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50 pm

TheEndless wrote:
rdwilson wrote:
So far we have identified issues caused by 2.8 that are affecting a "small percentage" of users.
1. Long buffer times

1. I don't know how to quantify this one. What's a "long buffer time" compared to pre-2.8 buffering (5 seconds longer? 30 seconds longer? 2 minutes longer?), and what streams are specifically affected (Live streams, static streams, local streams, etc)? There are too many variables, and the experience is too subjective to blame this one on 2.8. There's also no way to know if longer buffer times are the result of a bug that was fixed or the introduction of a new bug.
2. This has been identified as a Netflix issue and has nothing to do with the Roku or 2.8. It has been discussed many times on this forum that all Netflix players (Roku, Wii, PS3, XBox, DVD players, etc) use different streams for their playback. The fact that it works on one and not the other is not a clear indication that it's an issue with the device itself. Netflix even recently announced that they'll be moving away from Akamai due to all of the streaming issues of late.
3. This is the only "known" issue with 2.8, and Roku is working hard to fix it. Roku has also mentioned that they are refining the beta testing process to help identity and prevent issues like this for third-party developers in the future.

My buffer times have increased from 2-10 seconds to 20-50 seconds or timing out. This is absolutely a 2.8 issue. Bugs or no bugs. It used to work fine, now it doesn't. Shifting blame from Roku will just delay the fix.

1Adam12

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Since 2.8 I have to redefine my wireless connection in roku every day and certain channels cause reboot while buffering.

mikebdoss

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:58 pm

dentonbros wrote:

My buffer times have increased from 2-10 seconds to 20-50 seconds or timing out. This is absolutely a 2.8 issue. Bugs or no bugs. It used to work fine, now it doesn't. Shifting blame from Roku will just delay the fix.

My buffer times aren't increased at all, and the only 2.8 issue I'm experiencing is MyMedia not working (which, it turns out, is a MyMedia problem that's being looked at). If 2.8 was the cause of all these problems, you'd think everyone would be experiencing them, and clearly, not all of us are.

shelleyp

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I've noticed increased buffering times. I've also noticed that I'm having an increasingly difficult time playing two Rokus at the same time.

Used to be no problem with running both, as long as I didn't run HD shows on either. Even with HD it would typically work.

Now, I start to watch a show, and my roommate's machine buffers, and I literally get choked out. The box seems really aggressive with the bandwidth.

peeper

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:10 pm

YouTube videos take me close to a minute to buffer no matter what the length of the video. Many times a video will start buffering then totally quit and go back to the videos page.

I tried rebooting my router, my cable modem and the Roku Box, no change

I never had a problem with Youtube before the 2.8 upgrade.

thelastknight69

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:48 pm

the 2.8 patch was forced onto my system last night, 2.7 every thing works like a dream 2.8 comes on and now I cant even see the movies in my Netflix instant queue. Playon will not load either tried resetting the box and haven't had any luck, seems to me from what I am reading that there is an issue inside the patch, I just would like to hear from some one at roku as to when it might be fixed. I avoided the manual update because I saw there were issues, now unfortunately it updated itself and I am stuck. in a few days I am due to cancel my cable service and stick with the roku because it has been wonderful... now I am worried there will be no way to keep my kids occupied while I do dishes and what not around the house.

Edited to add an after thought:

Personally I think a roll back for every one to 2.7 might be a good idea for every one until the problem can be addressed that way there wont be angry users and no unneeded pressure from us while developers or developer, depending on how it is with this company, can take there time to fix the problem.

kc8pql

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:16 pm

mikebdoss wrote:

My buffer times aren't increased at all, and the only 2.8 issue I'm experiencing is MyMedia not working (which, it turns out, is a MyMedia problem that's being looked at). If 2.8 was the cause of all these problems, you'd think everyone would be experiencing them, and clearly, not all of us are.

+1
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mkiker2089

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm

kc8pql wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

+1

Actually that's not necessarily true. There are too many variables involved. It could be a change in the way the box handles wifi that doesn't work well with all routers. It could be something to do with network issues that causes the box to drop packets. It could be something in certain codecs and depends more on which particular videos you've watched, it could be the log file is getting to large so errors actually cause more errors, could be a memory leak that fixes itself under certain conditions such as changing between channels, could be a performance error localized to certain channel combinations, etc...

One thing we've seen far to clearly is that not all the Roku's behave exactly the same.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

tobarefeet

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:43 am

dentonbros wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
rdwilson wrote:
1. Long buffer times

Agreed. Too many people are bringing up the issue for it NOT to be Roku related. If some people are having good luck then thats great, seriously, I'm happy that they are getting a good experience.
I have 2 Roku's, a $59 and an XR. The cheap one now takes about 30-40 seconds buffering and then works, picture is good. Never took that long before 2.8.
The XR is the one I'm more upset about. At this point it's almost a coaster. I swapped out the cheap one for the XR last night for my hdtv that is located 13 feet from my router direct line of sight. I get a consistent 12.3 download from my ISP, I check every few days. The XR had been my bedroom tv unit that was only used a few times for Netflix. It was hard to judge in the bedroom because my wifi signal there is weak, but I wanted to see if the video on many of the channels would be better using the XR on my hdtv. It's been a 6 hr exercise in frustration.
When I swapped out the cheap older roku for the XR I did the 2.8 update on the XR and it was reboot-a-rama after that. I've done the reset, I've done the unplug the router and modem and XR several times. Many channels, like Bliptv, are not opening at all. Then ones like Revision3, Nasatv, Koldcast, podtv, even when they open its pushing a minute to load. The picture looks like crap compared to how it looks on the cheap unit... and then loads over and over.
I swapped back out the XR for the cheapo unit and it's fine now, picture again looks great and the loading issue has stopped. The wait times are my only issue on the cheapo unit. Again, before 2.8 it loaded in no time. 30-40 seconds wait isn't the end of the world, but in this day and age thats a fairly big ask. If someone is watching Revision3 and there are 4-5min podcasts, who after a while is going to want to sit through extended waits?
I've been pushing Roku to my friends, been posting all about it on my Facebook page, was in the process of getting one for my mom- in law for Christmas. Now, I'm leery on suggesting. I spent $129 on the XR in July or August before the prices came down and it appears that I'm better off with the $59 unit.
Maybe I'll get her the $59 unit so if there is a problem the financial hit wont be so great.
I'm just bummed that it appears I wasted extra money on the XR model.

KennyJ

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 am

I'm another person who has had no buffering issues with 2.8. I wonder what the common denominator is for those who are having issues.

I'm willing to post my info so people can compare:

No issues on either original model (later HD) or XD/S:
Verizon FIOS ISP (15mbps)
Wi-fi (Westell Ultraline router)

Use mostly Netflix and YouTube, but use another 20 or so channels regularly. Don't usually stream local videos.

jcmolet

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:19 am

KennyJ wrote:
I'm another person who has had no buffering issues with 2.8. I wonder what the common denominator is for those who are having issues.

Similar story here. My setup:

Roku players - XD|S, XR, HD (new version), HD (old version)
25 Mbps service via Cox Cable
Linksys WRT54GS router
Most used channels include Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Mediafly (TwIT), Revision3, Jaman and MHz Networks

erayser

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:42 pm

jcmolet wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

Similar story here. My setup:

Roku players - XD|S, XR, HD (new version), HD (old version)
25 Mbps service via Cox Cable
Linksys WRT54GS router
Most used channels include Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Mediafly (TwIT), Revision3, Jaman and MHz Networks

Same with us.

Our setup
Roku players: XD|S and XR - both on build 1158
Cox Cable Premium - speedtest.net ~ 40 to low 50's Mbps
Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and Netgear N600 router

It is possible that we don't get any buffer issues because all my streaming devices and computers/laptops are wired since we have CAT ports to all our rooms. The only things we connect to wifi is our mobile devices (iPhone's and iPad). We don't have cable tv, so all we do is steam. Buffering seems to be the same as it was before 2.8 for us.
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."

ofthewoods

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 pm

I am having similar problems plus some others. My wireless connection went out on my original roku that I had for about two years, worked great up to that point. Called support and they sent me a new box, an XR. Hooked it up, connected to my wireless network, excellent signal, but could not get any video to load. Finally got Netflix to work and a random channel on Mediafly, but it took about a minute. Rivsion3 will timeout as well as flixster. I get either four dots and even up to hd quality but video will not load. Got a PS3 this weekend and everything works on there so it is not my wireless connection. Something had to have happened with this latest uspdate, have seen quite a few problems with the wireless connection going out in the last week or so. Why would they just send out a new unit well out of warranty??