Copyright 2010, A. Cassidy Napoli(email@example.com). All rights reserved. See source for License.
What it does:
- Control a Roku SMP over a local area network.
- Supports all physical buttons found on the newer Roku remotes (Back, Home, Up, Down, Left, Right, OK, Instant Replay, Info, Rev, Play/Pause, Fwd).
- Supports direct text entry.
- Works on recent versions of most major browsers: Chrome, Firefox 3.6.12, Safari 5.0.2, Mobile Safari/iOS devices(specfically tested iPhone4/ iOS 4.1), and Internet Explorer 8.0.7600(although it's ugly). Opera and Android devices are untested but expected to work (feedback welcome).
- Supports the application cache feature of html5. This means that browsers that support application cache will store the whole web app locally and if my site is unavailable, your remote will still work!
- No support for multiple Rokus. This will be available in the future.
- No advertising.
Instructions: Browse to remoku.tv and simply provide the local ip address* of a Roku on startup(or afterwards on the Config screen) and click "Remote".
If you want something more full featured and own an iPhone or Android device, I highly recommend the impressive DVPRemote and Android Roku Remote, both now available with updates for the new ECP remote functionality. The developers have done excellent work and the apps are both worth the price.
I'm using a simplified BSD license, so developers should be free to incorporate it into their projects, commercial or not(for example, Roku could freely include a modified version as a hosted page within the Roku Player). If anyone is interested in contributing code or style improvements, they would be most welcome. Let me know if you are interested, and we'll work out how to incorporate your contribution. All of the source is visible as html, css, and js files.
*Note: no information is sent outside your network. Your browser makes a direct connection to your Roku and that is the only communication taking place in this app. The source code is fully visible for anyone to review.