Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: Remoku - A Web App for remote control of Roku Players

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Robninja wrote:
This web app is great! I just found it. I noticed that is it not on the Google chrome app store. Is there any intention of putting it up there? If not, do you have any issue with someone else putting one up (with all due credit given)?

I'm working on getting out a much improved release, and when it's out, then I think putting it in the chrome app store is a great idea.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

gonzotek
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:30 pm

EnTerr wrote:
By the way, I noticed the other way another iPhone remote for Roku app has been published on AppStore, by the name of "Remoku" by one "Ender Labs".
see http://itunes.apple.com/app/remoku/id440132221

"Remoku" is not a registered trademark but it seems low-brow reusing a name already "taken".
hrmm. Thanks for the heads up. :? Anyone have suggestions what be an appropriate reaction here?
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

ApK

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm

gonzotek wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
By the way, I noticed the other way another iPhone remote for Roku app has been published on AppStore, by the name of "Remoku" by one "Ender Labs".
see http://itunes.apple.com/app/remoku/id440132221

"Remoku" is not a registered trademark but it seems low-brow reusing a name already "taken".
hrmm. Thanks for the heads up. :? Anyone have suggestions what be an appropriate reaction here?

If you care, see if you can still register the name as a trademark. Maybe the other guy didn't and you can maybe show you were already using it.
THEN I might suggest you politely contact the app dev and point out that you have a fairly long standing and widely used remote app by that name and would he perhaps mind, in the interest of avoiding confusion, changing the name of his app....
Depending on his answer, and if you secured trade mark or not, you could then decide on next steps.

If you don't care, you can just change the name of yours.

EnTerr

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm

ApK wrote:
If you care, see if you can still register the name as a trademark. Maybe the other guy didn't and you can maybe show you were already using it.
THEN I might suggest you politely contact the app dev and point out that you have a fairly long standing and widely used remote app by that name and would he perhaps mind, in the interest of avoiding confusion, changing the name of his app....
Depending on his answer, and if you secured trade mark or not, you could then decide on next steps.

If you don't care, you can just change the name of yours.

registering (R) a trademark is long (and probably expensive) process. Remoku is free javascript and not a likely source of money. on the other hand, trademark (TM) can be claimed without formal registration, it is just more difficult to enforce. i am not expert on copyright law but i gather it can get complicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unregistered_trademark : "In the United States, neither federal nor state registration is required to obtain rights in a trademark. An unregistered mark may still receive common law trademark rights. Those rights, for example, may extend to its area of influence—usually delineated by geography. As such, multiple parties may simultaneously use a mark throughout the country or even state. An unregistered mark may also be protected under the federal "Lanham Act" (15 USC 1125) prohibition against commercial misrepresentation of source or origins of goods. Unregistered marks are also protectable in the United States under Lanham Act 43(a)."

there is a third option too - not to do anything. there is no need to change the name nor to try to register it. FWIW that Remoku app in AppStore is not going to make big splash - it lacks features in other remotes by the same price (like list of channels and keyboard) and requires iOS 4.3 (WTF, with all due respect - how come other can be compatible back to iOS 3?).

Name is not everything. When i was to release my Roku remote app to AppStore, i checked the names already in use - there is only so many ways to twist the words: RoRemote, RemoteKu, RokuMote, Romote, Remoku. I wouldn't want to use a taken name and in the end I decided on the most plainest of names: "Remote for Roku". OK, so it could have been even shorter as "Roku Remote" but that way i feel it may infringe on Roku's (TM) by sounding as if Roku (the company) has been involved or has approved in some way of the app (which they haven't). So with such a generic name, i can clearly not claim trademark on the expression "remote for roku" but i don't really care about distinguished branding; I just hope that my app will do well because of its qualities and ratings people leave.

ApK

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 am

EnTerr wrote:
ApK wrote:
there is a third option too - not to do anything.

That's true. Not only might it not matter at all, but, it's possible the added, if misleading, name exposure could even help.

However, if you are looking to start building a brand name, you have to start somewhere.

gonzotek
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:34 am

ApK wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
ApK wrote:
there is a third option too - not to do anything.

That's true. Not only might it not matter at all, but, it's possible the added, if misleading, name exposure could even help.

However, if you are looking to start building a brand name, you have to start somewhere.

I'm leaning towards the 'do nothing' option. Remoku isn't and won't ever be a brand; like EnTerr mentioned it's free javascript, and I want people to use it freely (and to be able to include bits of it in their own projects, if desired). I may do something income-earning with the apps4tv domain someday, but that's not at issue here.

EnTerr, I bought your app a while back and I don't think I ever mentioned it here, but I appreciate the bare-bones simplicity you were striving for.

zholmquist

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:58 am

Hey everyone,

I am the developer behind Remoku - the increasingly controversial App Store App.

In all honesty, I had no idea another Remoku existed until a fellow
developer pointed me to this forum. It was not my intention
to "steal" the name. I thought it was a clever pairing of Remote and
Roku, and it happened to be available in the App Store. I don't
believe it was "low brow", quite simply it was me not doing my
research.

The app was thought up and built up in under a week. I figured it
would be fun and a challenge and so I started coding away. I may not
have made a splash to start, but it is also version 1.0 and there will
be a slew of updates to come to better serve the needs of the users.
Version 1.1 is already waiting for review which lowers the Target OS
from 4.3. Adding a Keyboard is a quick fix, I just want to do it
right.

I sincerely apologize to gonzotek for any confusion or harm I may have
caused his project and will also begin looking for a name
alternative.

Again, it was a simple mistake. I hope to build friendships with the
other developers here, not enemies. With the other apps I have seen
available you all have done good work to provide a superior
alternative to the stock remote sold with the Roku.

Thank you all for bringing this issue to my attention, if there is any
other feedback please let me know.

Zach
zach [ at ] enderlabs [ dot ] com

P.S. I am working to get a site live as soon as I can.

ApK

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 am

zholmquist wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am the developer behind Remoku - the increasingly controversial App Store App.

Hey there,

Gonzotek doesn't seem too concerned, we just like to stand behind our own.
So I'll still be selling pitchforks and torches if anyone wants them, but only through the catalog, on request. :D

Welcome to the forum!

ApK

p.s. regarding the research, if you type "remoku" into Google, and observe the top few hits, you'll understand the source of our initial incredulity. As I said, I can certainly understand how you (and GT) would come up with the same name..

krisbee

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 am

A class act to say such, and I always figured an honest mistake.

gonzotek
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 am

Zach also contacted me via email, and let me know he plans to change the name. Please don't rate his app negatively based on the coincidence that we both chose the same name. I let him know he can wait until he has real changes to the app that need to go through the apple approval process to push the name change. I understand that there's typically a bit of a wait between when you put an app in for approval and when it is actually available. I'm sure, based on his email and post here, that it'll be changed in the due course of time, and hope he lets us all know when he has a new version out to play with.
Cheers,
gonzotek
aka A. Cassidy Napoli

zholmquist wrote:
Hey everyone,

In all honesty, I had no idea another Remoku existed until a fellow
developer pointed me to this forum. It was not my intention
to "steal" the name. I thought it was a clever pairing of Remote and
Roku, and it happened to be available in the App Store. I don't
believe it was "low brow", quite simply it was me not doing my
research.

The app was thought up and built up in under a week. I figured it
would be fun and a challenge and so I started coding away. I may not
have made a splash to start, but it is also version 1.0 and there will
be a slew of updates to come to better serve the needs of the users.
Version 1.1 is already waiting for review which lowers the Target OS
from 4.3. Adding a Keyboard is a quick fix, I just want to do it
right.

I sincerely apologize to gonzotek for any confusion or harm I may have
caused his project and will also begin looking for a name
alternative.

Zach
zach [ at ] enderlabs [ dot ] com

P.S. I am working to get a site live as soon as I can.

EnTerr

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:16 pm

gonzotek wrote:
EnTerr, I bought your app a while back and I don't think I ever mentioned it here, but I appreciate the bare-bones simplicity you were striving for.

Appreciate the review (with improvement suggestion) you left in AppStore. The few problems I have heard about the app are discovery or connectivity issues and i am considering workarounds. Adding IP by hand may in some configurations is counter-productive - there are routers which on DHCP renew keep sending new IP - and don't have "DHCP reserve" (by MAC address) option and thus registering static IP is pointless. I had routers that behaved like that, don't remember if it was the D-link, Motorolla or old Linksys.

But yes, i am also thinking in case SSDP does not work to let input IP.

If you had observed any specific problem, could you please send me details in email (email address is on the support page for the app) ? Report from a network-savvy fellow developer will be much, much appreciated.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:20 am

And it is things like this that I log in even on my days off :)

Good luck to the both of you :D

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Crow550

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:41 pm

I have an idea to easily add an auto play feature for TV shows on netflix.

Just add an option to enter the running time of the episode & then every X amount of minutes it will press play to automatically play the next episode. :)

You'd just have to keep the Remoku site open in a web browser.

You & Fluke still working on merging your ideas together? Maybe you could share notes with a Document on Google Docs or start a hang out on Google Plus & discuss ideas. I dunno? Just an idea....

gonzotek
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 am

Crow550 wrote:

Just add an option to enter the running time of the episode & then every X amount of minutes it will press play to automatically play the next episode. :)

You & Fluke still working on merging your ideas together? Maybe you could share notes with a Document on Google Docs or start a hang out on Google Plus & discuss ideas. I dunno? Just an idea....

It's an interesting idea, I could give it a try (I can see some potential pitfalls, but it might be doable).

I haven't heard from fluke in a while, but I still have a list of things I want to do with Remoku, including integrating his keyboard mode and better graphics. It got sidelined for most of the year, due to technical issues on my end (main development machine went under and you can't code very effectively on an iPad or Chromebook) and real life stuff like work and family. I'm finally settling back into a more development-friendly period, so hopefully I can put together all the different ideas I've been toying with.

ryanxwalton

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 am

gonzotek wrote:
Crow550 wrote:

It's an interesting idea, I could give it a try (I can see some potential pitfalls, but it might be doable).

I haven't heard from fluke in a while, but I still have a list of things I want to do with Remoku, including integrating his keyboard mode and better graphics. It got sidelined for most of the year, due to technical issues on my end (main development machine went under and you can't code very effectively on an iPad or Chromebook) and real life stuff like work and family. I'm finally settling back into a more development-friendly period, so hopefully I can put together all the different ideas I've been toying with.

Are you using standard web hosting or Google App Engine to host your web app?
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.