gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: Remoku - A Web App for remote control of Roku Players

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:51 pm

chris0071 wrote:
Worked beautifully.

Thank you very much for a great app.
Glad you liked it. I had your other thread in mind when I was preparing it for release.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

gonzotek
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 pm

fluke wrote:
gonzotek: It is amazing how similar this is to what I have been working on this week. Since what I wrote only works on Webkit browsers (Chrome, Safari, Arora, etc.), I am interested in to see how your javascript works.
It was a challenge making it work cross-browser and from a hosted external domain. :) Detecting the key events was a PITA too!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

gonzotek
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:57 pm

dynamitemedia wrote:
i noticed that the symbol "/" cant be used from the keyboard screen.

also it would be good to be able to paste into the box and hit enter to load that as well...

this will work great with the new channel i added, instead of typing the long address with the remote they could do it from here, but the paste would make it awesome together.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33646

I noticed the @ gets a bad request response from the Roku during the evening. I'll have to test further to see if it's my code or the Roku doing the wrong thing. I have some ideas about how to implement pasting (and possibly more reliable key presses in general).

pjoshua5000 wrote:
needs a "clear" feature for the search. Because when I press backspace and held it, it didn't delete all the character on the screen. But its a nice remote.
I agree, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again everyone for all the positive and constructive feedback! Have a good (extra long) evening!

keithshields

Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am

Pretty nice. I just tested it using by WiFi enabled Kindle 3 (it has a rudimentary webkit-based browser) and it works like a charm. Not sure how often I'll need to use it from the Kindle, but still kinda fun to see it work...

japzone

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm

This works great except for the Repeat Button Glitch.

However can you add the feature where you can Paste and Hit Submit to send to the Roku? Here's my situation.

I have my Roku back-fed into my Houses RF Cable Network so I can just go to Channel 4 on any TV and I can watch my Roku, but obviously controlling my Roku from another Room requires Wi-Fi. However, I don't have an iPhone/iTouch or an Android(but I would really like one) so Finding this was great, but using my Laptop to control my Roku feels sort-of redundant since my Laptop can already play Netflix. Then I remembered that I still have an Old NDS with that Opera Browser. I turned it on and went to your site, and It worked. It runs a bit slowly and It took a bit of fiddling to get it to accept the IP of my Roku but I can now control my Roku with my DS, but I've run into a Snag. The DS Browser does Text Entry like the Wii's Internet Channel, where it pulls up a Keyboard App then Pastes what you typed into the App, into the Text Box. This gives the same result as trying to Copy/Paste on the Computer(minus the "v" appearing on the Roku) so Remote Text Entry won't work with the DS.

So can you add the Paste and Submit Feature to Remoku? I'd really appreciate it. Not only for my Situation but also for people on Computers can then Copy/Paste as well. Thanks.

gonzotek
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:53 pm

keithshields wrote:
Pretty nice. I just tested it using by WiFi enabled Kindle 3 (it has a rudimentary webkit-based browser) and it works like a charm. Not sure how often I'll need to use it from the Kindle, but still kinda fun to see it work...

japzone wrote:
This works great except for the Repeat Button Glitch.

However can you add the feature where you can Paste and Hit Submit to send to the Roku? Here's my situation.

I have my Roku back-fed into my Houses RF Cable Network so I can just go to Channel 4 on any TV and I can watch my Roku, but obviously controlling my Roku from another Room requires Wi-Fi. However, I don't have an iPhone/iTouch or an Android(but I would really like one) so Finding this was great, but using my Laptop to control my Roku feels sort-of redundant since my Laptop can already play Netflix. Then I remembered that I still have an Old NDS with that Opera Browser. I turned it on and went to your site, and It worked. It runs a bit slowly and It took a bit of fiddling to get it to accept the IP of my Roku but I can now control my Roku with my DS, but I've run into a Snag. The DS Browser does Text Entry like the Wii's Internet Channel, where it pulls up a Keyboard App then Pastes what you typed into the App, into the Text Box. This gives the same result as trying to Copy/Paste on the Computer(minus the "v" appearing on the Roku) so Remote Text Entry won't work with the DS.

So can you add the Paste and Submit Feature to Remoku? I'd really appreciate it. Not only for my Situation but also for people on Computers can then Copy/Paste as well. Thanks.
It's great to hear of it running on so many devices. I was thinking: smartphone, tablet, and pc as my target devices when I was coding it and just wanted to make it as compatible and standards-compliant as possible. I'm glad that effort doesn't appear to have been wasted. I think that I have an idea to fix or significantly improve missed/repeated keypresses AND allow for paste-and-submit functionality. I think it may be workable to queue any commands and only send one at a time, each only after the previous has finished being sent. I still have to write the code, but I'm pretty sure it's doable.

japzone

Use Remoku on DS

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:40 pm

I posted this How-To on fluke's Topic "Roku Remote for Google Chrome" but since it's about Remoku I thought I obviously had to post it here.

japzone wrote:
I've gotten gonzotek's Remoku to work on my DS Browser. Admittedly it is slow but it at least works. It takes a little fiddling but Here's how you do it:
  1. Turn on your DS with the DS Browser Cartridge and RAM Pack in
  2. Go to http://www.apps4tv.com
  3. Favorite THIS (Not Remoku's main page) and save it to the "Start Links" Folder
    -Adding it to your "Start Links" folder Allows you to go to Remoku straight from the Homepage
  4. Now Switch to SSR Mode(SingleScreen) and Click the Remoku Link
    -You should now see something like this
  5. Now In the Bottom 4 Boxes enter the IP of your Roku(One Section per Box)
  6. Now Touch the "REMOTE" Button with your Stylus. The Button should now say "CONFIG"(If not Press it again)
  7. Now Switch to Overview Mode
  8. Flip the Screens with the Lower Right Hand button with Two Arrows on it(Or Press X)
  9. Next Click the Magnifying Glass Button and Change the Zoom to 50%
    -It Should now look like this:
  10. Try Pushing a Button, It might Take a While but your Roku should React.
Congrats you can now Control your Roku with your DS.

WARNING
Turning your DS off erases your Roku IP and View Settings, You'll have to Start from Step 1 again, However you can skip Step 3(Because it'll remember Bookmarks).

Notes:
-You have to press the Buttons with the Touch Screen, Highlighting with D-Pad and Pressing A will not work
-Make sure you have a Good Signal Strength. Having a Yellow One Bar or less causes issues and make Controlling the Roku near Impossible.
-If you have trouble after Disconnecting from Wi-Fi go back to http://www.apps4tv.com Via your Bookmark or Entering it in Manually, then click the Remoku Link. Remoku should work again.
-If you want to get the DS Browser you can buy it from Nintendo for $29.99USD+$5.00 Standard S&H@This Link or you can find it cheaper Elsewhere (ie:Ebay, Amazon, ect...)

Crow550

Re: Use Remoku on DS

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:03 am

japzone wrote:
I posted this How-To on fluke's Topic "Roku Remote for Google Chrome" but since it's about Remoku I thought I obviously had to post it here.

japzone wrote:
I've gotten gonzotek's Remoku to work on my DS Browser. Admittedly it is slow but it at least works. It takes a little fiddling but Here's how you do it:
  1. Turn on your DS with the DS Browser Cartridge and RAM Pack in
  2. Go to http://www.apps4tv.com
  3. Favorite THIS (Not Remoku's main page) and save it to the "Start Links" Folder
    -Adding it to your "Start Links" folder Allows you to go to Remoku straight from the Homepage
  4. Now Switch to SSR Mode(SingleScreen) and Click the Remoku Link
    -You should now see something like this
  5. Now In the Bottom 4 Boxes enter the IP of your Roku(One Section per Box)
  6. Now Touch the "REMOTE" Button with your Stylus. The Button should now say "CONFIG"(If not Press it again)
  7. Now Switch to Overview Mode
  8. Flip the Screens with the Lower Right Hand button with Two Arrows on it(Or Press X)
  9. Next Click the Magnifying Glass Button and Change the Zoom to 50%
    -It Should now look like this:
  10. Try Pushing a Button, It might Take a While but your Roku should React.
Congrats you can now Control your Roku with your DS.

WARNING
Turning your DS off erases your Roku IP and View Settings, You'll have to Start from Step 1 again, However you can skip Step 3(Because it'll remember Bookmarks).

Notes:
-You have to press the Buttons with the Touch Screen, Highlighting with D-Pad and Pressing A will not work
-Make sure you have a Good Signal Strength. Having a Yellow One Bar or less causes issues and make Controlling the Roku near Impossible.
-If you have trouble after Disconnecting from Wi-Fi go back to http://www.apps4tv.com Via your Bookmark or Entering it in Manually, then click the Remoku Link. Remoku should work again.
-If you want to get the DS Browser you can buy it from Nintendo for $29.99USD+$5.00 Standard S&H@This Link or you can find it cheaper Elsewhere (ie:Ebay, Amazon, ect...)

If you have a DSi it's a bit easier. If you don't wait for the 3DS.

Yeah if you can make a mobile friendly version. So it works on most mobile phones and portable game consoles. :D That would be pretty neat.

japzone

Re: Use Remoku on DS

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 am

Crow550 wrote:
If you have a DSi it's a bit easier. If you don't wait for the 3DS.

Yeah if you can make a mobile friendly version. So it works on most mobile phones and portable game consoles. :D That would be pretty neat.

I personally skipped the DSi because I didn't find that it had any worth while features so I waited it out, and it turns out I was right. Not much software came out for it and the Only real Notable feature was the DSiware, but I've been doing Homebrew on my DS for a Couple Years and saw no real reason to switch to paid apps on the DSi. I'm glad I waited too. The 3DS comes out next March and it does everything the DSi did and Much, Much, More. The Hundred some bucks I saved on Skipping the DSi I can put towards the Higher price of the 3DS.

The mobile app would only require:
1) a smaller interface
2) Text links would work better instead of buttons
3) Paste and Submit Text for Devices like the DS that Paste what you write up separately into the Text box
4) Queue Commands as I find that alot of my Button presses don't get through and sometimes the Roku gets stuck in a Loop and I end up having a Russian Roulette of my Instant Queue after hitting Right.
5)and Possibly a separate page for IP entering as the current Setup doesn't work well on devices, as my How-To spells out

Once you get that down many more devices should be able to perform well with Remoku

dmacleo

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:23 am

ok I'll be the one to ask.
anyone concerned that the app is running off someone elses domain?

gonzotek
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 am

dmacleo wrote:
ok I'll be the one to ask.
anyone concerned that the app is running off someone elses domain?
Code's free for all to inspect. Don't take my word for it, but the most this could possibly do (in a negative sense) is to collect the local ip of a Roku (because I currently store that as a cookie, which is made available to the server) into a database. Since local ips aren't accessible outside of the LAN they are created on, and pretty much every home router uses addresses in the range of 192.168, that data would be useless to hacker types. It would look something like this:
and so on.

However, I don't intentionally collect any data whatsoever, that cookie just sits in your browser's storage area and gets used to remember the roku address between sessions. I assume my hosting provider (Go Daddy) has logs of every connection made to the site (as do most hosting providers), but this is no different than any other site you'd visit and it would contain your public IP, requested resources (html, js, css files, images, etc.), timestamps, etc . All of the remote communication code is implemented as javascript, and it connects your browser directly to your Roku, and only on your local network. The server has no way to know if you've searched for a particular term, or what buttons you've pressed, or anything like that. Again, don't take my word for it, ask someone else to independently confirm all this. :)

Also, note it's possible to save all the files locally and run the app from localhost, or to upload them to your own site and run there. fluke and I will be merging our two remotes' code together and once the combined project is available, we'll be providing the source as a downloadable package from Google Code as well as hosting it at apps4tv(at least I intend to host it, I haven't discussed that with fluke yet).

canaws

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks! I used it to move my channels around since I don't have the new remote. It's also really great for inputting long text. It makes using Netflix search and the Youtube channel a lot easier. :D
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway

ApK

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 am

keithshields wrote:

You know, I've been looking for excuses...uh...I mean..."good reasons" to get a Kindle and this just might tip me over the edge....

Very neat app. Any chance of mapping keyboard keys to the remote function buttons?

gonzotek
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 pm

ApK wrote:
keithshields wrote:
Any chance of mapping keyboard keys to the remote function buttons?
Yes. fluke's version already does this (if you use a webkit browser like chrome or safari, possibly the kindle browser as well). We'll be working towards a unified remote project that includes the graphics and key-mappings of his and the higher cross-browser compatibility of mine. I've been a bit busier than I planned this last week, so not much has happened yet. Also, I have some bug fixes and such I want to implement as well, so it might be another week or two (or a bit more) before anything new will be available for public consumption.

ron2112

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm

This is pretty cool. Works great from my PC, I just wish I could get it to work from my Palm Pre's browser. Must not be "capable" enough. :D Still, very nice work.

ron