gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: Remoku - A Web App for remote control of Roku Players

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm

ryanxwalton wrote:
gonzotek wrote:
Crow550 wrote:
I have an idea to easily add an auto play feature for TV shows on netflix.

Just add an option to enter the running time of the episode & then every X amount of minutes it will press play to automatically play the next episode. :)

You'd just have to keep the Remoku site open in a web browser.

You & Fluke still working on merging your ideas together? Maybe you could share notes with a Document on Google Docs or start a hang out on Google Plus & discuss ideas. I dunno? Just an idea....

It's an interesting idea, I could give it a try (I can see some potential pitfalls, but it might be doable).

I haven't heard from fluke in a while, but I still have a list of things I want to do with Remoku, including integrating his keyboard mode and better graphics. It got sidelined for most of the year, due to technical issues on my end (main development machine went under and you can't code very effectively on an iPad or Chromebook) and real life stuff like work and family. I'm finally settling back into a more development-friendly period, so hopefully I can put together all the different ideas I've been toying with.

Are you using standard web hosting or Google App Engine to host your web app?

Standard webhosting (Godaddy at the moment). Why?
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com

ryanxwalton

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:19 pm

gonzotek wrote:

I was just wondering because your web app runs off of html, css, and javascript with no images. Depending on how much traffic you get to your site in a month, could be a cheaper option to just host it using Google App Engine instead. Also, I saw your post about coding on a Chromebook, and I've been looking for ways around that all day. I have a CR-48 and I've written websites on it before.
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.

Crow550

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Crow550 wrote:
I have an idea to easily add an auto play feature for TV shows on netflix.

Just add an option to enter the running time of the episode & then every X amount of minutes it will press play to automatically play the next episode. :)

You'd just have to keep the Remoku site open in a web browser.

You & Fluke still working on merging your ideas together? Maybe you could share notes with a Document on Google Docs or start a hang out on Google Plus & discuss ideas. I dunno? Just an idea....

It's an interesting idea, I could give it a try (I can see some potential pitfalls, but it might be doable).

I haven't heard from fluke in a while, but I still have a list of things I want to do with Remoku, including integrating his keyboard mode and better graphics. It got sidelined for most of the year, due to technical issues on my end (main development machine went under and you can't code very effectively on an iPad or Chromebook) and real life stuff like work and family. I'm finally settling back into a more development-friendly period, so hopefully I can put together all the different ideas I've been toying with.

There could be some pitfalls but I think with some tweaking it could work well. Like have it press play 3 times with a 1 second delay between for auto play. As I recall in the past having to press a button twice sometimes. So a third for an extra measure or let the user choose how many presses and delay time between presses. ;)

Maybe add an UP or Back press for titles that don't quite end at the exact minute mark. Like make it an optional check box for those who may need it?

So maybe someone wanted to avoid the end credits and play the next episode. They could enter the time before the credits and have it press up or back to goto the previous menu then play the next episode.

There could be cool uses for options like that.

Also channel shortcut buttons would be cool too. :P

Which got me thinking how you could add options to auto play shows. So you launch Remoku and select Lost which you saved the steps to get to the show. So it would launch Netflix then goto Queue number 5 which would be where the user placed Lost in the queue and it plays. LOL just an idea.

All depends on how expansive you plan to make this. ;) Just throwing out ideas.

Thanks for listening and taking in user suggestions. Keep up the great work!

gonzotek
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:43 pm

ryanxwalton wrote:
gonzotek wrote:

I was just wondering because your web app runs off of html, css, and javascript with no images. Depending on how much traffic you get to your site in a month, could be a cheaper option to just host it using Google App Engine instead. Also, I saw your post about coding on a Chromebook, and I've been looking for ways around that all day. I have a CR-48 and I've written websites on it before.
I think I pay ~3.99 a month for apps4tv(I have a lot of other domains, some with go daddy hosting, some without, so the pricing is a little confusing to me). The traffic is pretty minimal. I think it would be even cheaper if I switch to yearly billing, but I'm lazy and that's how it's been since I set it up. I haven't looked into it much, but if I can get by with a free app engine account, I'd might be willing to switch over. I'm not really sure what the free accounts give you, but it looks like I can push 1G of data a day. I guess I should probably look at my logs and figure out how much I'm pushing now :). I doubt it's anywhere near that, but I am planning on adding a graphical mode.

Yeah, I've got the cr-48 too, came two days before christmas; that was my favorite gift last year :). I tried a number of web coding environments, but really wasn't happy with them compared to the code editor and various windows utilities I was used to using. I set up ThinVNC to remote to a proper desktop, but some of the key mappings didn't work right, and I just ended up fighting with it to do the simplest things instead of actually working on the code. I'm hoping they improve the "Chromoting" feature, which works well but requires the host to invite the client first, so I can use that instead of thinvnc.
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv

ryanxwalton

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:01 pm

gonzotek wrote:
I think I pay ~3.99 a month for apps4tv(I have a lot of other domains, some with go daddy hosting, some without, so the pricing is a little confusing to me). The traffic is pretty minimal. I think it would be even cheaper if I switch to yearly billing, but I'm lazy and that's how it's been since I set it up. I haven't looked into it much, but if I can get by with a free app engine account, I'd might be willing to switch over. I'm not really sure what the free accounts give you, but it looks like I can push 1G of data a day. I guess I should probably look at my logs and figure out how much I'm pushing now :). I doubt it's anywhere near that, but I am planning on adding a graphical mode.

If you can push less than 1gb a day then you could use GAE. You could also possibly migrate your emails to Google Apps, and then use apps4tv.com to link with GAE. I also found some Chrome extensions for coding that I happened to use here and there. If you go the Chrome Web Store, look up "IDE" and see if anything you find might work for you. Two that I recommend are CoderBuddy and Cloud IDE. CoderBuddy lets you upload your stuff to GAE from your Chromebook, and Cloud IDE is actually what it says. I used to pay good money for Web Hosting with Host Gator, but now I have a one month old son, and I have to save what money I can for him, but I still love writing a website here and there. Will your graphical mode involve using icons for the buttons? Have you ever looked into using css3 to make image-less icons? That could possibly make sense with you using html5, and most mobile browers work with that now. Also that would save you bandwidth since you won't have to download any images for icons.
If it doesn't work, keep beating it with the hammer till it does.

gonzotek
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:24 pm

ryanxwalton wrote:
gonzotek wrote:

If you can push less than 1gb a day then you could use GAE. You could also possibly migrate your emails to Google Apps, and then use apps4tv.com to link with GAE. I also found some Chrome extensions for coding that I happened to use here and there. If you go the Chrome Web Store, look up "IDE" and see if anything you find might work for you. Two that I recommend are CoderBuddy and Cloud IDE. CoderBuddy lets you upload your stuff to GAE from your Chromebook, and Cloud IDE is actually what it says. I used to pay good money for Web Hosting with Host Gator, but now I have a one month old son, and I have to save what money I can for him, but I still love writing a website here and there. Will your graphical mode involve using icons for the buttons? Have you ever looked into using css3 to make image-less icons? That could possibly make sense with you using html5, and most mobile browers work with that now. Also that would save you bandwidth since you won't have to download any images for icons.

Yeah, I already have Google Apps set up for apps4tv email, just never considered app engine before. I'll definitely look into it though, thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking that it might make sense to offer up a few different flavors of remoku, so that people with more crippled browsers can still get as much of the functionality of it as possible (I'm thinking about older hand-held devices that won't get updated and that don't have great css support)..so there'd be a default, works under most modern browsers mode/version, a 'lite' version that doesn't try to be fancy but is just a bare bones links-only mode, and maybe some device/platform-specific modes that can take advantage of features on those platforms(like a tablet vs. a phone vs. a desktop). As I haven't pushed out a new version in forever, however, these might all be too pie-in-the-sky for me to first develop, then support. Lack of free time is already my biggest enemy :) Oh yeah, too answer your question, CSS3 icons are definitely something I'm considering. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Crow550

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:38 pm

I thought of another idea where you could have an auto-play queue system for a lounge mode or if you have to do chores and you have wee ones and you don't want to have to press the play button every time an episode ends.

Where you do what I suggested above for adding shows to auto-play and after one program plays it plays the next one you add in your auto-play queue by going to the number in the Instant Queue.

It would be tricky to pull off, but I think it would be possible.

I know I am getting ahead of things. Just posting my thoughts and ideas for you to consider the possibilities. ;)

gonzotek
Topic Author

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Crow550 wrote:
I thought of another idea where you could have an auto-play queue system for a lounge mode or if you have to do chores and you have wee ones and you don't want to have to press the play button every time an episode ends.

Where you do what I suggested above for adding shows to auto-play and after one program plays it plays the next one you add in your auto-play queue by going to the number in the Instant Queue.

I know I am getting ahead of things. Just posting my thoughts and ideas for you to consider the possibilities. ;)
It'd be MUCH EASIER if Netflix would allow launching the channel to specific titles via ECP, AS DOCUMENTED IN THE SDK! :)

Note: This rant is not directed at you :). I and other remote developers (and channel developers, like TheEndless) have requested this multiple times since ECP (and the specific example of navigating to a specific title in Netflix) was introduced. I don't normally speak in such concrete terms about other developers' intentions, but I know TheEndless would LOVE to implement this in his Instant Watch Browser.

Crow550

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:01 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Crow550 wrote:

It'd be MUCH EASIER if Netflix would allow launching the channel to specific titles via ECP, AS DOCUMENTED IN THE SDK! :)

Note: This rant is not directed at you :). I and other remote developers (and channel developers, like TheEndless) have requested this multiple times since ECP (and the specific example of navigating to a specific title in Netflix) was introduced. I don't normally speak in such concrete terms about other developers' intentions, but I know TheEndless would LOVE to implement this in his Instant Watch Browser.

Yeah. I agree. However until they do or if they ever do. At least with some tricks you can pull it off. ;)

I don't blame you ranting about Netflix & there lack of adding features. :P

hozedhead

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Nice app, Gonzotek, I was wondering if you might consider adding a re-boot button, since the new firmware is causing a lot of freeze-ups. I know that I can just use the [HOME] 5 times, [UP] once, [REW] 2 times, [FF] 2 times combination, but it'd be nice if there were 1 button to streamline the process. Thanks for your work!
Roku HD N1000 Serial #20G984014682 Software V. 3.1 Build 1167

Fofer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks for this. New Roku user here, catching up on this old thread. I made a standalone app out of Remoku using Fluid on Mac, and it works great.

gonzotek wrote:
I haven't heard from fluke in a while, but we agreed to merge, and I've been working (slowly) towards something releasable. This screenshot is just the work-in-progess, the form at the bottom will be part of a settings page and not always visible.
So far, the basic remote functions all work, it can scan for Rokus on a local network and I have a better approach to sending text strings for search. I still have some internal goals I want to meet before I put it on apps4tv for public use, but if any one wants to follow along I've been checking my work into the google code project at http://code.google.com/p/remoku/source/list

This looks fantastic -- have you released it yet, or has development stopped? It looks a lot nicer than the one currently on http://apps4tv.com/remoku/
and I am wondering if the public will get access to this much nicer-looking version.

Thanks...

gonzotek
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Fofer wrote:
Thanks for this. New Roku user here, catching up on this old thread. I made a standalone app out of Remoku using Fluid on Mac, and it works great.

gonzotek wrote:
I haven't heard from fluke in a while, but we agreed to merge, and I've been working (slowly) towards something releasable. This screenshot is just the work-in-progess, the form at the bottom will be part of a settings page and not always visible.
So far, the basic remote functions all work, it can scan for Rokus on a local network and I have a better approach to sending text strings for search. I still have some internal goals I want to meet before I put it on apps4tv for public use, but if any one wants to follow along I've been checking my work into the google code project at http://code.google.com/p/remoku/source/list

This looks fantastic -- have you released it yet, or has development stopped? It looks a lot nicer than the one currently on http://apps4tv.com/remoku/
and I am wondering if the public will get access to this much nicer-looking version.

Thanks...
Hi Fofer(same fofer from the tivocommunity forums, right?)! Definitely not dead :), I'm actually hard at work on a much improved version. I'll see if I can get a newer test release up into google code and on apps4tv sometime tomorrow or sunday.

stratcat96

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:42 pm

I really like the convenience of Remoku, especially when my XS remote has lost its pairing and I need to navigate to the setup screen to re-pair it. Thanks for creating it :)

Fofer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 pm

gonzotek wrote:
Hi Fofer(same fofer from the tivocommunity forums, right?)! Definitely not dead :), I'm actually hard at work on a much improved version. I'll see if I can get a newer test release up into google code and on apps4tv sometime tomorrow or sunday.

Yep, one and the same. Nice to see ya here! I'm a new Roku 2 XS owner and really liking it. Thanks for the Remoku update, looking forward to it!

I also note that the app on the App Store (used to be called Remoku as well) was renamed to iRoku:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iroku/id440132221?mt=8
It looks nice and all, nicer than the other Roku remote offerings in the Store... but it doesn't work. It auto discovered my Roku, and I can choose channels... but nothing else works. The arrow keys, the select key, the home key, the back key... none of them work. I've wasted my $0.99 for now, and really hope the developer does the right thing and fixes this app. I have emailed his support at http://enderlabs.com/contact to let him know. That's zach/zholmquist, right? If he's still here, or if anyone's still in contact with him -- please let him know, his app should be fixed, or removed from the store. Otherwise he's leaving paying customers disappointed.

Anyway, in the meantime I downloaded "Remote for Roku" and "DVPRemote" and both seem to be working fine.

I went a bit nuts with Roku remotes today, hehe. Looking forward to seeing the next incarnation of Remoku!

Crow550

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:59 pm

I know I make a lot of feature requests but hey this web remote is awesome.

Can you add multiple remote profiles. Like you can have each box as a button you can name then click on the one you want to access? that would be awesome!

Also is any of my past ideas being considered? ;)

Thanks and keep up the awesome work! :)