Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

skyeye
Topic Author

Tied the knot...with cable?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Hard to believe that, despite all my research and planning, my decision on whether or not to drop cable probably comes down to this question: Will my wife still be able to watch her ABC soaps when she comes home from work? :)

canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Tied the knot...with cable?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:27 pm

skyeye wrote:
Hard to believe that, despite all my research and planning, my decision on whether or not to drop cable probably comes down to this question: Will my wife still be able to watch her ABC soaps when she comes home from work? :)

I don't think so. ABC soaps are on regular hulu, but not on hulu+ (as far as the website tells it). The only other way to watch episodes online is to track down multipart uploads on youtube (can be frustrating) or have an htpc to watch the ABC website/regular hulu.
Roku 3 (4230X) / 42" Sharp LED 1080p HDTV / RadioShack Amplified Indoor Antenna
Roku SE (2710X) / 25" Sharp SDTV / GE Indoor Antenna
ATT Uverse 18.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG589 Gateway

snarler

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 pm

If that really is the only reason you'd keep cable, I would make sure to sit down with her and show her the numbers, as in "we would save X a month, 12*X per year, if we cut cable." If money is tight, she might sacrifice it. At the very least you have ammo for the next "discussion" about money :D On a more serious note, many/most/all cable operators allow you to scale back cable to what I refer to as "locals only" but is usually called something like basic or starter and usually contains the local network affiliates, and a bunch of what I consider useless channels like shopping channels and the like. With a Cablecard device, you can usually get the HD versions of the local channels included in that set as well. For me, the difference between the locals only package and the digital package is something silly like 40 bucks.

Even cheaper is an antenna and getting your ABC over the air if it works for your location. Some people can do it with an indoor set-top antenna. Others put one in their attic. Obviously ye olde outdoor setup works too :)

AeroR1

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:41 pm

she could if you had a boxee box. my wife catches GH on the boxee box, they are shown on a one day delay.

mega1026

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:03 am

get a combo of OTA and TiVo... hefty up front investment, but without a cable bill it will pay itself off in no time, go for Lifetime Service of course

cangel0612

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:45 am

What about an antenna?
Roku HD
HDTV 720p HDMI 37"
Cox Internet Premier
No cable/sat service :)

Roku Private Channel List: http://almostaccurate.com/roku/

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm

cangel0612 wrote:
What about an antenna?

+1 In many places all it takes is a set of rabbit ears.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

DerekHelps

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Go with OTA, I manage to get by with all of my football needs using an Antenna and ESPN3, (have to go out for monday nights, but hey!)

The Soap Operas are also all available via antenna and do not require cable.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

Bonneville44

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:44 pm

if she's watching soapnet, then you might as well drop cable for abc soaps. soapnet turns into Disney Jr. next year.

skyeye
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks to all!
I suppose the key words I should have stressed were “when she gets home from work” (2nd shift). An antenna won't do as the shows have to be recorded. Since I'm not ready to chunk down $300 for a Channel Master DVR just for her bedroom (or $500 for a TiVo setup) I was hoping for a watch-next-day solution as described here by AeroR1 on his Boxee Box. Have to wonder if his wife can still catch GH now that Boxee Box has been forced to remove standard Hulu.

It's interesting to see how many people are trying to extract some small bit of fairness (and value) from cable and big media companies. I certainly don't mind paying for services rendered, but this current situation is ridiculous. No point to rave here, would just be preaching to the choir, I suppose.

So I guess, for now, for Christmas I'll at least swap HBO for a one disc Netflix subscription. An XDS for the wife will be a good introduction to some alternative programming and a couple of HDs for my teenage boys will let them finally get some hi-def shows on their little 720ps.
The PS3 can earn it's keep in the LR.
They can all fight over who watches Netflix, and when.:)

Which leaves me with one final question that you guys with some experience in this could help me with. I'm currently paying for a 5meg service. Hard wired, computers in each room are reading 14 Mbps. Am I lucking out or, once again, getting screwed?

BoloMKXXVIII

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:43 pm

skyeye wrote:
Thanks to all!
I suppose the key words I should have stressed were “when she gets home from work”

No, the key words are "yes dear". The faster you learn them the less stress will be in your life. :lol:
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

skyeye
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:43 pm

I think you're right.
Wait...I don't think...I'm married.

mega1026

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 am

TiVo's are dropping in prices all the time, so that $500 isn't going to be the price..... right now they are as low as $99 if you agree to a monthly service plan.... but i bet if you keep your eyes on it, sometime over the holiday season you could find a sweet deal on it

Moviefreak

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 am

Also, make SURE to find out from your cable provider, what they will charge you for Internet access, once you drop the bombshell that you are dumping TV. They are "bundling" cable Internet with TV service, so if you drop the TV part, they raise the cost of your internet access. :evil:

Add the increase for your Internet and then add up the 13 dollars a month you pay to Tivo and then the cost of an antenna and screwing around with that...

I think you might opt for basic cable and Internet. You could also shell out for a Channelmaster DVR as they do not charge a monthly fee for the electronic channel guide. But, they are not cheap and I think they are OTA only.

mkiker2089

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 am

It depends on your provider but Time Warner doesn't bundle cable and internet. They may require you to keep "Broadcast" cable which for me is 8 dollars a month. I don't know for sure, I keep it to prevent me from needing an antenna but with my new TVs being digital I could more easily drop it.

I don't like the idea of Tivo. You are paying for a program guide, which is free on the air. I have a converter box on a TV in a bedroom and the over the air channels have a program guide so I know it's free. I'd buy an off brand DVR if it were me. Yes, the UI of the Tivo is nice, but so is saving 13 dollars a month when the only real need you have is taping a show that comes on the same time all week.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.