Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ltgrady

Re: Hulu+ is live

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 am

WOO HOOO, HUUU LUUU!

Anyone who already signed up for Hulu+ they are knocking sub down like everyone else but they're also crediting back $2 for each month you've been a member and an extra $2 because of the trial week they offer that we didn't get. Very nice.

Looks very nice. I have a new plasma, I love the black background. I just started playing with it but I don't love the horizontal navigation, I like rows and columns, kind of like the Netflix navigation. There is so much on Hulu though that it's probably best to just navigate on my PC and build up a queue. There may be settings or something I haven't even seen yet to make it easier though. I just started looking at it.

I'm very happy it's finally up.

erayser

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:23 am

shelleyp wrote:
So why the heck am I having problems watching two shows at a time?!

I have to go to work now. If nobody else can confirm this, it might be a fluke. When I get home... I'll try again and post. That's good that they dropped the price to $7.99. I did the invite subscription along time ago when the iPad app was released at the $9.99 price. I guess I should check to see if they are still charging me $9.99... but I'm just happy that I can watch hulu+ in 3 different rooms on a TV.
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."

redbeard36

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 am

Hurray! I can't wait to get home. Hmmm I feel a cough coming on....I may need to go home sick.

hn333

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 am

redbeard36 wrote:
Hurray! I can't wait to get home. Hmmm I feel a cough coming on....I may need to go home sick.

It's nothing to rush home about. Trust me.

tobarefeet

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 am

ltgrady wrote:
WOO HOOO, HUUU LUUU!

Anyone who already signed up for Hulu+ they are knocking sub down like everyone else but they're also crediting back $2 for each month you've been a member and an extra $2 because of the trial week they offer that we didn't get. Very nice.

Looks very nice. I have a new plasma, I love the black background. I just started playing with it but I don't love the horizontal navigation, I like rows and columns, kind of like the Netflix navigation. There is so much on Hulu though that it's probably best to just navigate on my PC and build up a queue. There may be settings or something I haven't even seen yet to make it easier though. I just started looking at it.

I'm very happy it's finally up.

agree in full. I may end up building up a queue online as well, mostly likely a big time saver.

FX4

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am

I'm happy as all get out. Popped on a couple of shows and all went well. I had a minor video hit then it was smooth from there on out. I suspect the hit is my equipment because I have seen this on a few other devices lately. Looks like next month is free for me because I have been a subscriber since the beginning! Awesome, three months satellite free and I don't miss a thing.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

scyber

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 am

shelleyp wrote:
erayser wrote:
shelleyp wrote:
As I wrote in my earlier comment in this thread

You can register more than one device. However, I was only able to watch a video on one Roku at a time.

I just registered both my roku devices. I did a quick test, and I am able to watch 2 separate shows on 2 separate roku boxes. I have Glee playing in the living room, and The Office in the master bedroom. However, on my PS3 in the office, I get the message that my H+ subscription allows me to watch one video at a time. Is this a fluke, or does roku boxes allow us to watch hulu+ simultaneously? Can anyone else confirm this?

So why the heck am I having problems watching two shows at a time?!

Don't know. As I stated earlier in this thread (twice actually), I was streaming two shows at once to different rokus earlier this morning. Were you streaming to 2 rokus? or was it one Roku and another device?

edkoby

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 am

Now if they only can add CBS shows such as Survivor...and where is Hells Kitchen & Judge Judy ..and why is Sons of Anarchy only on web?

Overall, I love the channel!!

bozzy

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 am

Davis wrote:
Yup, edges are cropped on my traditional CRT TV.

They are cropped on my widescreen lcd. I'm surprised Roku didn't take overscan into account when they created the app. The cropped menu items make the app look pretty unprofessional.

erayser

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 am

scyber wrote:
Don't know. As I stated earlier in this thread (twice actually), I was streaming two shows at once to different rokus earlier this morning. Were you streaming to 2 rokus? or was it one Roku and another device?

I was so excited to login to Hulu+ on both boxes this morning, I didn't read earlier posts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is able to watch 2 shows on different Roku boxes... so hopefully it will continue to work when I get home. Are both your Roku boxes the same model? I have 2 Roku boxes, but different models (HD-XR and XD|S).
Stream Devices: Roku HD-XR, XD|S, Apple TV2, Sony Bluray, PS3, Wii, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Network:
ISP: Cox (Premium) Mbps: 50(d)/5(u)
Motorola SB6120
Linksys e4200 + gigabit switches
"Stream by wire. Wireless Is for mobile devices."

jcmolet

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:37 am

bozzy wrote:
Davis wrote:

They are cropped on my widescreen lcd. I'm surprised Roku didn't take overscan into account when they created the app. The cropped menu items make the app look pretty unprofessional.

I am willing to bet they did take it into consideration and are aware of the issue. However, it is probable that Hulu has a say in how their channel is implemented. Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on your TV? By changing my Samsung LCDs to 'just scan' vice 16:9, I get better screen placement.

jhernes

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 am

hn333 wrote:
redbeard36 wrote:

It's nothing to rush home about. Trust me.

Knock it off.....
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

bozzy

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 am

jcmolet wrote:
bozzy wrote:
Davis wrote:

I am willing to bet they did take it into consideration and are aware of the issue. However, it is probable that Hulu has a say in how their channel is implemented. Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on your TV? By changing my Samsung LCDs to 'just scan' vice 16:9, I get better screen placement.

There's no overscan options on my Vizio. Most users would have to enter their service menu to do this so it is not an option. I've used Hulu + on the ps3 without the overscan issue so it is doubtful Hulu is mandating that their text not be readable.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 am

bozzy wrote:
There's no overscan options on my Vizio. Most users would have to enter their service menu to do this so it is not an option.

I don't think that's the case. Every HDTV I've ever used has had various zoom options, many with a "Native" option, accessible directly from the remote. Not need to enter the service menu.
That being said, none of the zoom options on my primary HDTV (6 year old rear projection) make the full Hulu Plus UI visible, but both the "Native" and "Natural" options on my Toshiba show the full UI. I don't have a PS3 to compare its overscan compensation.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

bozzy

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 am

TheEndless wrote:
bozzy wrote:
There's no overscan options on my Vizio. Most users would have to enter their service menu to do this so it is not an option.

I don't think that's the case. Every HDTV I've ever used has had various zoom options, many with a "Native" option, accessible directly from the remote. Not need to enter the service menu.
That being said, none of the zoom options on my primary HDTV (6 year old rear projection) make the full Hulu Plus UI visible, but both the "Native" and "Natural" options on my Toshiba show the full UI. I don't have a PS3 to compare its overscan compensation.

Yes, zoom options are different than adjusting for overscan. If Roku is asking us to zoom HD content because they can't adjust for overscan, than that is a terrible implementation. I will stick with the PS3 version that properly adjust for it.