Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mkiker2089

Re: Hulu+ is live

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 am

The overscan issue is something in the Roku. I've argued with Roku support to little avail. It's a little technical.

The Roku sends out a component style video that tells the TV it's "720p." The TV doesn't know how wide the picture is supposed to be so usually it falls to the center (unless your TV has auto aspect which helps). The "720p" picture is really 733*1360 or something hence the overscan.

The PS3 in Hulu (and an option for all video that you should really turn on) outputs an RGB signal. That tells the TV that it's signal is "1280*720." The TV now knows exactly what size the picture is and can pixel match it.

No one has said for sure but I have doubts that I'm getting full resolution out of the Roku.

Bozzy, actually that's pretty much what Roku does. Rather than fix the problem they just moved things in and created dead space on the menus. Compare what you see to pictures of what the menu is supposed to look like. In Netflix is the word at the top of the screen or an inch down?
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:29 am

bozzy wrote:
Yes, zoom options are different than adjusting for overscan. If Roku is asking us to zoom HD content because they can't adjust for overscan, than that is a terrible implementation. I will stick with the PS3 version that properly adjust for it.

Sorry, my point was that I believe the "zoom" modes are what jcmolet was referring to, not service settings. I also wanted to point out that the default "Natural" setting on my 37" Toshiba doesn't have the overscan issue, whereas my main set does, so it seems to be a case-by-case issue.

As for Hulu controlling the UI, I wouldn't doubt that for a second. I'm certain there's a reason the Hulu Plus channel uses a completely different (and common to other platforms) UI than other Roku channels. If Hulu is providing the UI elements, then Roku would be pretty limited on how they can lay it out. As discussed in previous threads, I think the Roku itself needs a general overscan adjustment feature under settings, because this channel isn't the only one I have overscan issues with...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

mkiker2089

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 am

Has anyone figured out how to know what stream you are getting? I don't see the HD icon anywhere. On the PS3 I can set it to either auto or HD but the Roku doesn't have an R1 button ;)

I still think the UI on both needs to say what stream you are currently getting.
-Marshall-

kc8pql

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 am

TheEndless wrote:
I also wanted to point out that the default "Natural" setting on my 37" Toshiba doesn't have the overscan issue, whereas my main set does, so it seems to be a case-by-case issue.

As for Hulu controlling the UI, I wouldn't doubt that for a second. I'm certain there's a reason the Hulu Plus channel uses a completely different (and common to other platforms) UI than other Roku channels. If Hulu is providing the UI elements, then Roku would be pretty limited on how they can lay it out.

As I understand it, this is all correct.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

kc8pql

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Has anyone figured out how to know what stream you are getting? I don't see the HD icon anywhere. On the PS3 I can set it to either auto or HD but the Roku doesn't have an R1 button ;)

I still think the UI on both needs to say what stream you are currently getting.

If I remember correctly, click the down button and an overlay screen pops up. The stream indicator is on the lower left side.
Note that Hulu is using adaptive variable rate streaming, so the stream changes on the fly if your connection speed varies, up or down, without rebuffering.
Last edited by kc8pql on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bozzy

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:40 am

TheEndless wrote:
bozzy wrote:
As for Hulu controlling the UI, I wouldn't doubt that for a second. I'm certain there's a reason the Hulu Plus channel uses a completely different (and common to other platforms) UI than other Roku channels. If Hulu is providing the UI elements, then Roku would be pretty limited on how they can lay it out. As discussed in previous threads, I think the Roku itself needs a general overscan adjustment feature under settings, because this channel isn't the only one I have overscan issues with...

Oh I am sure Hulu is dictating the UI. However, I doubt Hulu is dictating it to a point that most users are going to have UI elements cut off. That results in a terrible user experience. I highly doubt Hulu is trying to do that.

shelleyp

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
The overscan issue is something in the Roku. I've argued with Roku support to little avail. It's a little technical.

The Roku sends out a component style video that tells the TV it's "720p." The TV doesn't know how wide the picture is supposed to be so usually it falls to the center (unless your TV has auto aspect which helps). The "720p" picture is really 733*1360 or something hence the overscan.

The PS3 in Hulu (and an option for all video that you should really turn on) outputs an RGB signal. That tells the TV that it's signal is "1280*720." The TV now knows exactly what size the picture is and can pixel match it.

No one has said for sure but I have doubts that I'm getting full resolution out of the Roku.

Bozzy, actually that's pretty much what Roku does. Rather than fix the problem they just moved things in and created dead space on the menus. Compare what you see to pictures of what the menu is supposed to look like. In Netflix is the word at the top of the screen or an inch down?

Problems aside, this is an interesting explanation of what's happening. Thank you for providing this.

Hotchili

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:07 am

I haven't had a chance to try hulu plus yet on the roku, but I did go into the my hulu plus account to see when I would be starting the lower rate. I have been subscribing since September and now have a $8 early adopter credit, so appears they are giving existing members a month free. Now to get home and enjoy it on my new HD TV I just set-up last night :D

mkiker2089

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:09 am

kc8pql wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

If I remember correctly, click the down button and an overlay screen pops up. The stream indicator is on the lower left side.
Note that Hulu is using adaptive variable rate streaming, so the stream changes on the fly if your connection speed varies, up or down, without rebuffering.

On the lower left side I just see "stop." I don't see a stream indicator anywhere.
-Marshall-

jhernes

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:25 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:

On the lower left side I just see "stop." I don't see a stream indicator anywhere.

Scroll to the right on HD or SD.
Last edited by jhernes on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

mkiker2089

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 am

Jhernes, I don't see any of what you are refering to on the Roku. When I press up or down a bar comes up.

That bar says

S -- CC is off --- Autoplay is off------------------------------------------ Hulu Plus

Where does it indicate the stream?
-Marshall-

jhernes

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 am

mkiker2089 wrote:
Jhernes, I don't see any of what you are refering to. When I press up or down a bar comes up.

That bar says

S -- CC is off --- Autoplay is off------------------------------------------ Hulu Plus

Where does it indicate the stream?

Nevermind...I've been mistakenly of something then.
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55

kc8pql

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:46 am

It seems to have changed. It was where the CC is now. Sorry.

scyber

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 am

Hotchili wrote:
I haven't had a chance to try hulu plus yet on the roku, but I did go into the my hulu plus account to see when I would be starting the lower rate. I have been subscribing since September and now have a $8 early adopter credit, so appears they are giving existing members a month free. Now to get home and enjoy it on my new HD TV I just set-up last night :D

FYI, I don't think its technically a month free. Its $2 per month you paid $9.99 (September, October, November) + $2 credit to account for the fact that everyone gets the first week free now. They explained it in the email they sent out.

lvporta

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:53 pm

kc8pql wrote:
Losan wrote:
Does Hulu+ on Roku support CC/subtitles?

Yes

I have cc set up on my hulu plus account, but not displaying on my Roku N1100...do I have to apply some settings on the Roku Hulu Plus Channel? If so, how...TIA