Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Hulu+ is live

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:59 pm

lvporta wrote:
I have cc set up on my hulu plus account, but not displaying on my Roku N1100...do I have to apply some settings on the Roku Hulu Plus Channel? If so, how...TIA

On streams that support CC, if you press Up or Down while the stream is playing, a CC option will be present on the status bar that pops up. Highlight it and press Select to change the setting.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

shelleyp

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:16 pm

I had a nice note from Roku support:

Regarding the question on whether we can have Hulu streaming on two devices at the same time, the answer is no.

Hulu Plus is available on one device at a time. If folks have been able to play it on two devices at a time, don't expect to continue doing so in the future.

scyber

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:30 pm

shelleyp wrote:

Regarding the question on whether we can have Hulu streaming on two devices at the same time, the answer is no.

Hulu Plus is available on one device at a time. If folks have been able to play it on two devices at a time, don't expect to continue doing so in the future.

I don't think you had to go to Roku support, its right in the Hulu terms of use:
http://www.hulu.com/terms
You can find the specific details regarding your subscription to Hulu Plus at any time by clicking on Your Account. You agree that your Hulu Plus account is for individual use only and your Hulu Plus account is limited to only one simultaneous stream at a time. Additionally, you agree that for various reasons, such as restrictions from content licensors and other limitations or considerations from third parties, certain Content that may be accessible through one Property may not be accessible through other Properties.

I'm sure if you ask Roku about whether you can stream to multiple devices on the Netflix $8.99 plan they will likely say "No" also. Afterall, that is what is in the Netflix terms of use. Of course many people can still stream netflix to 2 devices on the $8.99 plan despite those terms.

You are right that it may be locked down at anytime (I've been saying that for months about Netflix), but right now, it still works for me. I just tried streaming on 3 devices and it wouldn't allow streaming to the 3rd device (which is supposedly exactly how the Netflix $8.99 plan works).

lvporta

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 pm

TheEndless wrote:
lvporta wrote:
I have cc set up on my hulu plus account, but not displaying on my Roku N1100...do I have to apply some settings on the Roku Hulu Plus Channel? If so, how...TIA

On streams that support CC, if you press Up or Down while the stream is playing, a CC option will be present on the status bar that pops up. Highlight it and press Select to change the setting.

Thanks for the reply, Endless....I figured it out on the Roku

Garp

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:50 pm

A quick video of Hulu Plus on the Roku, for those who can't wait 'til they get home to have a peek:

http://gigaom.com/video/video-a-first-look-at-hulu-plus-on-roku/

m_Brad

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Was I ignorant to think that I would be able to get all Hulu content on my Roku like I can with the PC Desktop? I am paying for this, but I don't get the free stuff? Makes no sense to me. This is a big disappointment. So much for completely dumping ATT Uverse.

Other thoughts:
PRO - No cropping of the UI as others have mentioned (newer LG LCD).
CONS - The UI is hard to read with the chosen font and gray color on black. No focus group for this I guess after such a long wait.

Cheers,
Brad

TheEndless

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:08 pm

m_Brad wrote:
Was I ignorant to think that I would be able to get all Hulu content on my Roku like I can with the PC Desktop?

In a nutshell, no offense, but yes... it has been discussed ad nauseum on this site and countless others. The content owners have, arguably absurd, restrictions on what devices their online streams can be viewed on. Per Hulu's website:
http://www.hulu.com/plus#content wrote:
While we currently don’t have the rights to make all shows on Hulu.com available on all devices, we are working hard to continue clearing shows for TV and mobile access.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

shelleyp

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:20 pm

scyber wrote:
shelleyp wrote:

I don't think you had to go to Roku support, its right in the Hulu terms of use:
http://www.hulu.com/terms
You can find the specific details regarding your subscription to Hulu Plus at any time by clicking on Your Account. You agree that your Hulu Plus account is for individual use only and your Hulu Plus account is limited to only one simultaneous stream at a time. Additionally, you agree that for various reasons, such as restrictions from content licensors and other limitations or considerations from third parties, certain Content that may be accessible through one Property may not be accessible through other Properties.

I'm sure if you ask Roku about whether you can stream to multiple devices on the Netflix $8.99 plan they will likely say "No" also. Afterall, that is what is in the Netflix terms of use. Of course many people can still stream netflix to 2 devices on the $8.99 plan despite those terms.

You are right that it may be locked down at anytime (I've been saying that for months about Netflix), but right now, it still works for me. I just tried streaming on 3 devices and it wouldn't allow streaming to the 3rd device (which is supposedly exactly how the Netflix $8.99 plan works).

Well, this issue is what we were discussing at the beginning of this thread, and those of us getting different results wanted a definitive answer. Well, we got it.

This isn't like Netflix Watch Now, because all of us are getting consistent service with Watch Now. Hulu Plus is inconsistent--some of us are only able to stream on one device, some on multiple devices. So, best thing to do when people ask is just tell them, no, it's one device only, and anything else is a fluke, and likely to disappear at any time.

Hotchili

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:27 pm

scyber wrote:
Hotchili wrote:
I haven't had a chance to try hulu plus yet on the roku, but I did go into the my hulu plus account to see when I would be starting the lower rate. I have been subscribing since September and now have a $8 early adopter credit, so appears they are giving existing members a month free. Now to get home and enjoy it on my new HD TV I just set-up last night :D

FYI, I don't think its technically a month free. Its $2 per month you paid $9.99 (September, October, November) + $2 credit to account for the fact that everyone gets the first week free now. They explained it in the email they sent out.

Ahhhh saw the email now and makes sense, although for me it still is a free month :D Now to work on the referrals, maybe trade buying a box of girl scout cookies or two for a referral.

tikvah397

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:09 pm

First off, I'm so excited Hulu+ is finally here! But I also have a question; in the Roku channel, my queue is in a weird order. It's not in the same order it's in on the website, and neither is it just in the opposite order or something. I really like having the shows that have posted new episodes most recently at the beginning of my queue so I can find them easily. Has anyone figured out if there's a way to reorder your queue on the Roku channel? Or maybe to get it to match the order of my queue as its set up on the website?

wonderbird

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Well that did it... I happened to have an account with Chase so I got the first month free... When they first made the beta available for the PS3 I registered my complaint about commercials... With 3 Roku players, two PS3s, various computers, etc. I guess it shouldn't be that hard to get $8 worth of entertainment out of it... Besides - every little bit to drag the "content providers" into the current century helps right? I figure if after a couple months I end up not using it I can always cancel...

hn333

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:37 pm

wonderbird wrote:
Well that did it... I happened to have an account with Chase so I got the first month free... When they first made the beta available for the PS3 I registered my complaint about commercials... With 3 Roku players, two PS3s, various computers, etc. I guess it shouldn't be that hard to get $8 worth of entertainment out of it... Besides - every little bit to drag the "content providers" into the current century helps right? I figure if after a couple months I end up not using it I can always cancel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woySeSNBL3o&NR=1

Mills

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Watched a few of the sample videos, and the video quality is about the same as when I hook Hulu-regular to my HDTV via an HDMI cable. The HD quality on Roku from Netflix & Amazon is much more crisper and clearer than from the Hulu+ channel.... don't get me wrong, the Hulu+ channel's quality is decent & light years better than the Hulu-regular via the now defunct Playon channel, but I was expecting it to be as good as Netflix/Amazon if they're asking for a monthly subscription cost.

whaleface

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:36 pm

do you really have to watch commercials even though you pay for a subscription? that's pretty surprising to me.

TheEndless

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:40 pm

whaleface wrote:
do you really have to watch commercials even though you pay for a subscription? that's pretty surprising to me.

2.5 minutes worth in a typical one hour (44 minute) show. 1.5 minutes worth in a thirty minute (22 minute) show. It's hardly a hardship.